Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Re Government rules.

I hear a lot of folks complaining about the 'Big bad Government" intruding in our lives. In the case of mandating seat belts and TPMS and air bags these safety devices are there because hundreds were killing themselves, their children and family members and even sometimes even others because they were not being responsible and taking reasonable precautions.

25 to 55% of vehicles on the road are running under inflated. A lot of SUV's a number of years ago were driving around with only 50% of the pressure they needed so tires were failing.

Air bags were mandated because even after belts and harnesses were provided and many states mandated their use too many people were being independent or "macho" and still dying because they failed to wear belts. air bags alone are not as good as belts but are better than nothing and with belts are very good at saving lives.

RVs Vehicles over 10,000 do not have the requirement for TPMS for a couple of reasons. At high weights the vehicles are usually commercial vehicles that are maintained and driven by professionals. There were also probably many RV companies that didn't want to spend the $ to help keep their customers alive so there was lobbying done to cut off the requirement at 10k#.

Running tires low on air shortens tire life and can result in tire failure. A tire can go from OK inflation level to low enough to fail in just a few minutes so even checking every stop isn't often enough.

My 3500 Silverado did not come with TPMS. If your thing about the seat belts is true then why does the government allow people to smoke. I hate wearing a seat belt and if I'm in a accident then it's only me getting hurt. I have been driving more than fifty years and have been in accidents and the seat belt didn't save me. Why make a person that rides a motorcycle wear a helmet, at 70 mph his head will be the only thing left intact if he is in a accident. I value my freedom more than anything and that's freedom to choose. I would rather be free to live my life as I choose not the governments way. I guess some people had rather be a slave with chain on like a dog always being taken care of by big government

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #42
Sunseeker 3010DS

Wow, I Would agree with you if you are fully insured, don't have anyone that depends on you and no one that would feel the need to take care of you. Then you can be a selfish as you want.
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #43
Commercial Member

I was a consultant on lawsuits of a fatal single car accident. Driver was not wearing seatbelt. There was over a $Million in claims involved by his estate against the car dealer that sold the car, tire dealer that sold the tires, Gas station that mounted the tires, and even the previous owner.

The accident was his fault as no other driver or car was involved. The injuries were the result of him going through the windshield. None of these facts prevented the lawsuits being filed. A few of the innocent parties settled as that was less expensive than going to trial.

In America today it is almost impossible to be 100% responsible for your own actions. He was transported to a hospital before he died. He had no insurance so who do you think paid for the ambulance or the couple hours he spent in the ER in surgery?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My 3500 Silverado did not come with TPMS. If your thing about the seat belts is true then why does the government allow people to smoke. I hate wearing a seat belt and if I'm in a accident then it's only me getting hurt. I have been driving more than fifty years and have been in accidents and the seat belt didn't save me. Why make a person that rides a motorcycle wear a helmet, at 70 mph his head will be the only thing left intact if he is in a accident. I value my freedom more than anything and that's freedom to choose. I would rather be free to live my life as I choose not the governments way. I guess some people had rather be a slave with chain on like a dog always being taken care of by big government

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
A motor cycle rider in a crash at 25 to 30 will probably survive. maybe as a paraplegic or maybe as a vegetable. Who do you think gets to pay for his care. The drug addiction of smoking is allowed because of lobby pressure on legislators.
I wonder how many would choose to sign up for not being treated by EMT or in ER if they didn't have insurance? It would be a bit like the guy in TN a few years ago who's house burnt to the ground because he didn't want to pay for the fire department to put out the fire through a pre-pay premium.

I haven't ever heard or seen a protest by the "anti government" folks asking that the laws be changed so hospitals could refuse to let people into the ER if they didn't have insurance.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #45

All excellent points, Tireman9, but you'd have a better chance of convincing a stump that it was previously a tree than trying to rationalize with the gov't haters...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #46
Site Team

Moderator Note:
This thread has drifted totally off topic ( TPMS) into govt bashing and legal issues . Please stay on topic so thread does not need to be closed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire