Old 09-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
My backyard kinda stinks to park my camper in, its rarely dry, and I was leaving some big ruts. I'm not sure if I could even get it out of there it was wet.

Moved it

Trimmed my tree up so it wouldn't scrape on the delivery truck.

Removed my gate.

Put down heavy duty landscape fabric. it cost $120 for a 250 foot roll. Its so tough it was difficult to even puncture it with the big staples I bought to hold it down.

Dude was an hour late, but he did a great job tailgating it out.

Had to hold up my cable line so he could get under it.

Spent about 2 hours raking it out, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll need to remove the bit of extra fabric towards the back, and probably rake it again once we drive on it a few times.

Edit - Oh I guess I should say that the gravel cost $261 delivered and the fabric was $120 and the staples were $10. $400 for a nice spot to park my camper. I am very happy with it.
Looks good! I have need of something like this. What type of stone did you use and how deep did you make it please. Thank you.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #12

You might consider renting a gravel compacter to flatten out and compress it ?

Old 09-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #13

Thanks for the detailed info and pictures. Looks like you did an excellent job! I really NEED to do something like this in my back yard!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc43 View Post
Looks good! I have need of something like this. What type of stone did you use and how deep did you make it please. Thank you.
I used 1" crusher run limestone. It was $9.50 a ton. I used 15 tons.

There are 1.35 tons per square yard.

So, you need to figure out how wide, long and deep you want your gravel and figure out how many square yards that is.

OR just be lazy and I can tell you that for every 25 feet you need 5 tons of gravel to make it 4" deep at about 10' wide.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
That looks great. This is something I want to do. As a suggestion so your rock dosen't get away some landscape timbers around the pad would hold them in. That's what I plan to do.
I really wanted to do that. But, because of my neighbors out building on the corner of their property, I have to come in at an angle, then pull back forward to straighten out, then back it into place. I would run over any landscape timbers, unless I made my gravel another 10 feet wide. This would likely rip the dump valve off the bottom of my camper. Not good.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
If you water the gravel it will help it to lock together, or you could just wait until it rains.

I've got some very strange looks from my neighbors while I'm watering my gravel after getting a new load of it.
I actually broadcast an 80lb sack of portland cement on top of it, to give it extra "dust" to lock together.

Yesterday and today we're getting about an inch of rain a day.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
looks great. i can't tell from the pictures but get the tires up off the rock.

especially if you are parking it there for the winter months
2 x 10 or 2 x 12 pressure treated planks cut in half with 45 degree end cuts for rolling up onto is where the tires should be. Then cover the tires to protect against the UV ray damage.

this year we purchased 2 sets of platforms to keep the tires from flat spotting as well.
Thats the plan for winter, for sure. But we have a halloween trip planned for weekend after next to a local state park. And I may try to eek in a few more trips, depending on what the weather does this year.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Guy View Post
....next comes the dump tank?
My sewer cleanout is on the other side of the yard, but I can easily back the trailer over to it to dump. I'd need to get a macerator though.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #19

I had a driveway extension added a couple of years ago,,, I had the sod removed & used crushed concrete,,, it looks great,,, but crushed concrete will never pack down,,, I never plan to have it plowed so it is ok !!! I have to be very carful with my 0turn mower,,, or I would need to get the rake out !!! I also put treated 2 x 8s under the MH tires when storing !!!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #20

Nice job!!

Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, parking