Old 02-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

I need advice

Recently took my Salem Hemisphere in for warranty work. My TV is a 2014 ram 2500 with about 12000 miles on it. (still new to me). When I pulled into dealer, I asked one of the workers where to park it. He told me where I was was ok and to go inside the service center. I was parked next to a 5th wheel without a TV and out of the main drive way. I spent about 30 mins inside then came out to the camper and did a walk through with the service adviser to show all what was needed. She told me to come back inside so she could type everything up. When we were done, I asked where she wanted the camper and she said I could drop it where it was. I went out to disconnect and you guessed it. Someone hit my truck and didn't stick around. I asked if anyone seen anything and no one did. One of the employees went and got his manager who came over and confirmed it just happened (fresh scratches up to where the dent it). The manager and another worker jumped on a golf cart to go look for any new arrivals that might have damage. Needless to say, nothing was found. I can say that forklifts were speeding all over the place with and without camper. I called FHP and they came out and took a report. I asked the manager what to do now and he said I needed to call my insurance. He then left. I called my insurance and went to get an estimate. Yup. $980 damage and $1000 deductible. My question... Should I ask the dealer to pay since it was on their property and I was told to park it where it was or just eat the cost? Has anyone else been in this kind of situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	99935  

palidin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #2

I bet the dealer will pull the old " all vehicles left at owners risk" line , Good luck.

wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

Sorry to hear that. Worst luck having the TV hit and driver ran. Bad luck ~ notifying insurance of an accident as most will keep it on your record.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

On my insurance if the accident is under a certain amount they will pay it and it doesn't count on your insurance. Try taking it to a body shop you trust and tell them you will pay for it out of pocket it may be less. Or get another estimate and tell them what your deductible is and they might write the estimate high

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
On my insurance if the accident is under a certain amount they will pay it and it doesn't count on your insurance. Try taking it to a body shop you trust and tell them you will pay for it out of pocket it may be less. Or get another estimate and tell them what your deductible is and they might write the estimate high

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
That is called fraud where I come from. Be careful going there.
Travel safe
Old 02-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
Canadian Contingent

That's tough. Sorry to hear.

It would be difficult for the dealer to accept fault. Basically it's a hit and run and no one can prove negligence or attribute it to the dealer. Not sure that just because it was on his lot constitutes fault.

Tough call.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

they don't have a camera surveillance at the dealer, they usually do,, maybe
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Team

This is very unfortunate, but is not unlike most car dealers. Usually somewhere in the service center there is a sign that says."Not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles on their lot" They may try to protect them by parking in a fenced area, but will usually not accept responsibility. This is one reason I suggest people do not run back to the dealer for every little warranty item as I am sure that the most capable technicians are not the ones moving the units around on their packed lots.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Wow that stinks! I would've found every forklift on the property and looked for paint that matches the truck.

Legally, not sure what can be done. I would pay for it to be fixed and then bring the bill to the dealer and talk to the owner/manager about this problem that happened on THEIR property. (If they won't pay, I'd never set foot on their property again.)
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm sure I will be stuck with the bill. I don't like taking it in for service but it's on its 6 month service and needed new ac, awning arm, refrigerator fan motor and some other minor things. This is the only month I haven't scheduled any camping so figured to bring it in. Wish I waited. Anyway, at least it is still drivable for now. Happy camping

palidin40 is offline   Reply With Quote