Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

I need some suggestions on where to go within a few hundred miles of Cincinnati

We're looking at taking a trip with our 24' Surveyor in May or June. Home base is near Cincinnati. I'm wanting to travel 500 miles or less, one way.

Last year we went up to Michigan, stopped and camped on 3 great lakes, and had a great idea.

I really don't have any ideas on where to go this year.

I suggested Virginia Beach, but my wife doesn't want to go to the ocean if we aren't going super far south to where its warm enough to swim.

Back up to Michigan again would be nice, but we don't want to re-do our last vacation over again. The cooler weather was definitely nice.

We have twin 6 year old girls, so we need stuff to do with them.

We are considering going to Lake Dale Hollow in Tennessee - we did that 2 years ago and it was great, but renting a boat gets really expensive, and there isn't much to do without a boat.

So, where would you go for a week within a one day driving distance of Cincinnati in May or June, and why?
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

Land Between the Lakes in far Western Kentucky is one possibility. Hillman Ferry campground is great. We go there every year for 2 weeks. Lots to do in the area. Beautiful place.
dnmatt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

Cedar Point has a campground. Save the money on fuel driving all over and blow it at the park. Kids prob love rides. (also a KOA in sandusky if you dont want to pay Cedar Point rates. Go mid week park will not be as crowded.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #4

If you go to Dale Hollow look at the Dale Hollow Dam Site (DHDS) near the south west part of the lake close to Celina, TN. Great kayak area, good fishing and the fish hatchery releases on friday, no nets allowed. Not good for AT&T reception but Verizon has good signal strength.

I don't know what size your rig is but just around the corner less than 10 miles is Standing Stone State Park. Small and steep sites but plenty of room between them. Only two handicapped sites available but nice bathroom facilities and usually some activities in the campground.

Another 45 minutes south is Cumberland Mountain State Park, Crossvile, TN. Use exit 322 off 1-40, turn right 2 miles and left at the big church plus three miles. Must do is the Saturday evening BBQ, Meatloaf and Ribs buffet at the Inn (State Park Hotel). Hiking trails, biking and lots of cabins for the church groups, so invite the whole gang.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmatt7 View Post
Land Between the Lakes in far Western Kentucky is one possibility. Hillman Ferry campground is great. We go there every year for 2 weeks. Lots to do in the area. Beautiful place.
I was actually just there last year, I went on a fishing trip with my dad. We went and checked out the Bison and Elk herd.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
If you go to Dale Hollow look at the Dale Hollow Dam Site (DHDS) near the south west part of the lake close to Celina, TN. Great kayak area, good fishing and the fish hatchery releases on friday, no nets allowed. Not good for AT&T reception but Verizon has good signal strength.

I don't know what size your rig is but just around the corner less than 10 miles is Standing Stone State Park. Small and steep sites but plenty of room between them. Only two handicapped sites available but nice bathroom facilities and usually some activities in the campground.

Another 45 minutes south is Cumberland Mountain State Park, Crossvile, TN. Use exit 322 off 1-40, turn right 2 miles and left at the big church plus three miles. Must do is the Saturday evening BBQ, Meatloaf and Ribs buffet at the Inn (State Park Hotel). Hiking trails, biking and lots of cabins for the church groups, so invite the whole gang.
Funny enough, that was our vacation 2 years ago! Dam Site campground. Awesome trout fishing.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #7

Wisconsin Dells water park capital of the world
We have some great fishing plenty of state parks dr evermores forevertron circus world a bug cat sanctuary the list can go on and on. I would suggest actually camping in baraboo or portage for cheaper campgrounds
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Screw it. We're going back to Dale Hollow! I love that lake. So beautiful.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

Where to go.

The Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge/Smokey Mtn area in TN is our favorite. Go for one week every year & stay at the River Plantation RV Resort.

2016 Coachmen Freelander 26RS
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad
jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #10

Clifty falls

We went to Clifty Falls last year. lots of trails to hike its a state park not too far from Cincinnati.
fraches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #11

Niagara Falls are beautiful!!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #12

Pigeon Forge / Dollywood / Great Smokey Mountain National Park.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #13

East Fork State Park is just outside Cincinnati. I stayed there last year - end of March into April. There are some sites with full hookups but I think the majority have electric only. From there it is only an hour or so into Lexington KY or Daniel Boone Forest.

There is also a campground at the Horse Park in Lexington that I'm told is quite nice.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
Weekend Warrior

Clifty Falls in Madison, IN
Lake Rudolph in Santa Claus, IN
General Butler State Park in Carrollton, KY
Big Bone Lick State Park
KyleStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

With your twin 6yo's, I thought of the Wisconsin Dells, too. They have some great indoors water-parks. But, it's over 600 miles one way from Cincinnati. And I personally would not pull a TT through the Chicago area unless it is after midnight.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #16

Three ideas

Don't know that you'd want to spend lots of days there, but a definitly wonderful place sort of nearby is Ohio's Hocking Hills State Park. Get into the canyon and hike, especially the trail at one end with handicapped access. Go to the end, it's stunning.

The "coast" of Minnesota, north of Duluth, and Duluth itself is interesting and pretty, especially the waterfalls. Inland, along the Gunflint Trail (which is actually a highway) has some BEAUTIFUL views--canoe country.

And northern Arkansas and into Missouri is fascinating. Stop at a visitor center and get the motorcycle loop tour guide for suggestions of doable day trips, but beware that some of those roads will wear you out with curves and hills if you're driving or towing an RV. Consider their suggestions carefully. Bull Shoals State Park below the dam on the White River is wonderful, especially if you fly fish. Go to the visitor center at the dam--it's fascinating. Petit Jean State Park is really nice, too. That whole northern area is a treat, and the roads are great.
Jim or Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #17

Mohican Wilderness Campground

It is northeast of Columbus. Near Mohican State Park.

Campground is next to Mohican River. There are lots of campgrounds in this area but we like Mohican Wilderness the best.

Is a little pricey since all you have is electric and water but well worth it.

Camp sites are grassy and spacious. You can park your camper any way you want. Lots of trees also for shade. It is a little rustic but has nice restrooms and shower houses. Lots of people tent camping stay here also.

The campground offers canoe rentals or you can take your own floats. You can get a ride up the road and float down to your campground. We have been there twice and loved it.
There are things for the kids to do. But tons of space for them to play in the camping area in grassy yards.

Loudonville is to the north and not too far away. Wally Rd runs along the river and most of the campgrounds are on this road.
Directions on web site are not the best. We take 3 out of Mt. Vernon to the south edge of Loudonville, then turn south on Wally Rd. The road is part gravel and slow going. But we are talking about a somewhat country area.
It is well worth it.

There are plenty of places to shop, eat, get groceries and other things. Campground store has minimal items but they do have ice and some snacks.

If more info is needed, just PM and I will be glad to help.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #18

Canal Campground

Canal Campground is between the two large dams that create the Land Between the Lakes. The water views are excellent and the little town of Grand Rivers is very quaint. We really enjoyed this location last year - take your bikes or off-road vehicle if possible.

Also, Bailey's Point Campground on Barren River Lake. It is about 215 miles from Cincinnati. We loved the views of the water from the entire campground and you are about 20 minutes from Bowling Green for civilization.

Enjoy!
RedhawkCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #19

I'm coming up to Cinci in June from Fl. Stopping in Pigeon Forge on way up and Nashvile on the way back One 344 miles the other 281
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #20

If you want come East, Pymatuning sp has sites in Ohio as well as Pa.
Next would be Presque Isle Pa. near Erie Pa. has an amusement park located just outside of park.
Chautauqua lake in NY, has several campgrounds nearer Pa line East on I86 in Ny would take you to Allegany Sp. or Willow Bay on Kinzua reservoir as well as a number of campgrounds further East Tompkins Campground outside of Corning NY as well as Watkins Glen a beautiful park on finger lakes
East on 90 could lead to Niagara Falls , camping on Grand Island also has a amusement Park , these are a few of the hi-lites , The mentioned campgrounds are available through Reserve America or you would be directed to Rec.Gov
From your location any direction should provide a great time," Enjoy" wherever you end Up
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote