Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Good points about the midnight arrival- I'm curious what their destination is like.

Back to that Florida trip- I didn't want to arrive at the first come, first served campground at night so we parked at a hotel the first night. It let us drive over leisurely in the morning and setup during the day.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

I travel from the Ontario to BC and try to limit my driving to 300 miles per day. My average driving speed is 55 miles per hour. I usually stop after 2 hours for a short brake to walk around and rest my legs. I then stop about 2 hours later for a lunch (most times we make this our large meal of the day.) Then 2 hours later another break to rest the legs. Then we will drive for another hour or two. We then find a place to stop for the night and have a light meal and sit around the fire before going to bed. I am also retired and 61 years old. Life is too short to rush. In my youth when I was young and foolish I would leave home after working an afternoon shift and drive to NS (over 1000 miles) and be at my grandmothers for dinner (18 hours later).

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #13

For what is is worth, I once read that pie can save your life.

I had a clot in my leg once (not deep vein, thank goodness) from to being, well, clumsy. The doc sent me for an ultrasound immediately to confirm it was a superficial vein, which got me rattled.

As I read up on deep vein thrombosis, one article indicated that a stop along a trip for pie is a great idea to get you out of the drivers position. I realize this discussion is about fatigue but other health factors come into play in a marathon drive.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have driven the 15-17hrs to ft Myers from OH for years all in one shot. In pulling the camper, I now stop a little over half way and get a couple hours of shut eye, and continue on. I drive mostly through the night. This year, I had driven to ATL stopped for night then continued to Orlando. Will most likely attempt straight drive home, but I know my limitations and I do have 2 days travel planned. Knowing your limitations before exceeding them is the biggest concern. Traffic plays a big part in fatigue also.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #15

There's other factors in this, my main question to ask is how far do they normally go and how often do they do it? If they regularly go 500-600 miles in a day then another 125 wouldn't be a concern to me.

Bigger part in this, IMHO, is how honest are they with themselves. If they get tired, are they honestly going to look up the next rest stop and take a nap or keep pushing it? Anyone can get tired after any distance.

Age doesn't worry me so much as just realizing you're tired and need rest, then getting that rest. There's always a truck stop right down the road.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
Camper Less Camping

Unless I have a short window to make a trip happen then I drive nonstop, otherwise plan one layover and feel great the next day getting to destination & setting up.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #17

More info. The destination is home after being away for a month. There is no need to do the trip in one day other than they want to.

Excellent thought about deep vein thrombosis Arefbee.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #18

When I was younger I would have do it (and more) without even thinking. As I have gotten older I have learned that the trip is about the journey, not the destination. I would check out that big ball of twine now.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
More info. The destination is home after being away for a month. There is no need to do the trip in one day other than they want to.

Excellent thought about deep vein thrombosis Arefbee.
Slightly OT but didn't President Richard Nixon suffer from deep vein thrombosis?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Good points about the midnight arrival- I'm curious what their destination is like.

Back to that Florida trip- I didn't want to arrive at the first come, first served campground at night so we parked at a hotel the first night. It let us drive over leisurely in the morning and setup during the day.

I use one of my stops for fuel or bathroom/rest break as a moment to look at potential stops along the way and call to find out how full they are. Based on the short, medium and long potential campsites and how full they are I usually make my decision on how far I want to continue. But now after 4 years of heading to FL for vacation, I have settled on certain locations both north and southbound.