Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #41

Lots of good advice. When we were relocating to Florida, and building a house down here, I drove from Il, to Fl and back on a regular basis. If you do it on a regular basis, it's no biggie. Get out of the routine, and it's another story. I don't like the long days anymore, and the added stress from pulling a trailer, or driving an RV, versus whizzing down the road in a speedy whatever, take's a toll.
The one bit of advice I'd give to anybody wanting to cover ground in a day, is to start early. Wheels rolling by 4:30, or 5:00, makes a huge difference at the end of the day. A little preplanning, so all you have to do is get behind the wheel, and any sleepyheads can close their eyes and go back to sleep, makes the early starts more manageable.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #42

Lots of things to consider, vehicle, roads, weather, speed, health, night time vision, maintaining alertness, etc. Can it be done safely, yes, if all things above are factored in!
But I would only do this if absolutely necessary, because it will be extremely exhausting!! At 62 my limit is 3 stretches of 2 hours driving plus a little bit if necessary to get to a rest stop. Distance of approx 300-350 miles and then it,s miller time.LOL P.S. coming home is a little different than a campground setup, because once in the driveway, key off, and into the sack.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #43

My wife and I have talked about this because I have to do all the driving and she can't sit in one place for a long time. I do a lot of driving for a living and 600 miles in a large vehicle does wear on you, with 8 whining criminals behind you it gets old fast. Anyway we sat down and figured about 400 miles was the max for a day towing then stop for the night. At 60 mph that's almost 7 driving hrs and that is enough for a day. As for the driving at night I would rather drive at night, less traffic and best time to go through large populated areas.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingDixieDogs View Post
Not pulling a trailer I do Birmingham AL, to San Antonio TX in one long day usually twice a year. I use to stop and it hurt me worse to get going the next morning. This year I will be going to Houston for Flyball so I will be taking the TT, hope I can do it in one!
You're going to pass right by me.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #45

Wife and I drove straight through from IL to FL this past Christmas. Rather, I should say I drove straight through and DW kept me awake and sane and well supplied with protein filled snacks like nuts, seeds and jerky. We planned stops every 3 to 4 hours to gas up, stretch, get some food. Did really well until we got to the GA/FL line. At that point I hit the wall, figuratively. Pulled off at Walmart and took a couple hour nap. This was just in a car, not pulling a trailer or driving a MH. I would not even think about attempting that with an RV. Most likely won't do it again in a car, either. Hoping to take the new fiver down to Disney in October and won't do much more than 8 hours of driving a day. Already decided that will be 2 week trip, 2.5 days down, 2.5 back with a little sightseeing along the way.
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #46
phat phrog stunt crew

Have driven straight thru from mrytle beach and breckinridge colorado to st louis area. So much easier to do when the wife and kids are sleeping. Those trips were both done in the past few yrs, and I'm mid 50 now.
Like somebody posted, if you are used to it, it isn't much of a deal. But if you have the time, take it.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #47

I don't think its a good idea, if you are retired what is the rush? I hate setting up after dark and I really hate it what someone pulls into a campground in the middle of the night and trying to set up "quietly" none of it works very well. Drive to arrive a live.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #48

Unless kids wedding. No
woodtick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
Unless kids wedding. No
It'd have to be a shotgun wedding for that. Otherwise, leave earlier.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #50

We limit our driving to six hrs - parked by twilight at the latest. IMHO, you're looking for trouble.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #51
Site Team

Here's my two cents:
While some can do it without any problem most of us would be better off avoiding it by allowing more travel time. Too often I have seen travelers arrived dead tired and past the point of enjoying the trip.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote