Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
I need your opinion

I’m not looking to start arguments, I’m just looking for opinions.

The following drive will be done by a retired couple in a Class A dieselpusher. All driving will be done by one driver (age 60).

Leaving at 9:15 in the morning and then quick stop for lunch and a stop for dinner with an extra hour or two of rest before continuing. Arriving at destination about midnight with a total driving distance of 725 miles. A little more than half that drive will be on state highways and the rest on Interstates.

What’s your opinion on this, dumb move or no big deal?

I personally think it’s a dumb move because of the fatigue factor I think would come into play while driving at night.

Perhaps I’m overly cautious on this so I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Don't think its a good idea. In addition to any drive over 400 miles in one day being extremely tiring, our eyesight is not as good as it was in our youth.

Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
I will 'be' 60 this year. I wouldn't do it, too much seat time and fatigue. Driving one of these things at night is tough enough, doing it after all day in the seat....nahhhh

Set the clock back 20 or 30 years.....I'm in!

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Originally Posted by Sbryant View Post
Don't think its a good idea. In addition to any drive over 400 miles in one day being extremely tiring, our eyesight is not as good as it was in our youth.
X2 - that's a lot of driving in one day - I'm not sure that even professional big rig drivers do that much in a day.

Arriving at midnight? - you're going to be tired and maybe not as alert and attentative as you should be - could lead to making mistakes or forgetting to do certain tasks when hooking up at your spot.

What's the hurry if you don't mind saying?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
I think the key word here is "retired." Why rush it?
Eric, Tara, and most of China
2013 Camping Nights: 2
2014 Camping nights: 31
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
I would say if you have to ask, err to the side of safety. Find the Worlds Largest Ball Of Twine to visit half way.

That said, you could always go for it and keep options open. A lot of places are understanding about drivers needing a break; any truckstop would do.
We drove down to Disney in one shot a few years ago, and but then on the way home decided to find a place to crash before we literally did (we'd had too much fun).

Of course another factor I always consider on a long haul is how much is planned for the next day. If I am just planning to relax and maybe nap, no problem. If I am going to be running all day, I would split it up or have another driver I trust to take turns. JMHO
2011 PrimeTime Tracer 2600rls
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L 4.10:1 axle ratio
Nights camping 2014 - 17
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
I did 900 miles in 20 hours with 2 kids and a second vehicle for quiet time when I traded off driving duties (and then for my wife to trade of kid tending duties). I drove for all but about 3 hours of it. We left at 11pm so that we could do a large chunk of driving while it was quiet. The stress of dealing with the kids in the truck was the hardest part.

Each stop that we made was a significant amount of time- breakfast was almost 2 hours. Lunch was an hour and we arrived just prior to dinner (actually ordered pizza). Each fuel stop took a minimum of 15 minutes but usually closer to 30-35 by the time we fueled up, made tinkles, changed diaper, got snacks, etc.

That said, by the end of it- I was completely and totally exhausted.

I think the level of "dumbness" is directly related to the schedule - if they have the time and schedule to not have to push through like this, then pretty dumb. But, if there are external time constraints, then yeah- I completely understand and can't call it dumb.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Personally I try to limit driving to 6-7 hours a day
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
I am far from retirement age, and I dont think I could spend that many hours driving and not fall asleep. When I head to FL, we usually leave around 8am. With stops and so forth by 7pm we have only made around 500 miles and I am shot to the point that within an hour or two of getting off the road and setup, I am out cold.

Now if you had two capable drivers, I would say its possible since you can swap seats and avoid the fatigue.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
No big deal if held close to what you say.

imo thou. The driver should stop every 2.5-3 hours anyway for 15-20 minutes to top off with fuel... stretch your legs for circulation and take a bathroom break, grab a drink and snack. All trips do seem to take longer than planned 'on paper'.
Pulling into a 'spot' at midnight can cause a lot of issues as many of us know. I believe that it would be better to 'pull in' in the 6-9 in the morning range. As with many 'road trips' there are many variables that come into play. If everything 'goes right' with speed, timing, stops, not being tired, then everything is do able. With that said, we can all attest to the fact that minutes are lost on every hour of a road trip, due to a hundred different factors. So, the plan B of where to pull off the road for a 4-5 hour break in the night time hours to take a nap and get up early to get to your stopping point early, relaxed and refreshed. stopping points of Rest Areas, truck stops, wally world, weight stations for a few hours should be no problem.

Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote