Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #21

The easiest way to ensure you get a semi good deal on any vehicle/trailer, is to 100% ENSURE that you FULLY believe, deep in your heart as a core value, that the vehicle you see that you love, is completely replaceable and is never a 'one time good deal'. There's more fish in the sea. One hiccup, and I go find another one.

Saying no, repeatedly, firmly, without being a b***hole, (but not leaving either!) will get them to their best deal sooner or later. Later may be days, by the way. Maybe weeks. Keep saying no while somehow looking a little interested, and leave if you want......and they'll contact you. Trust me, they'll contact you.

When they say they must make money, just tell them that you are happy for them to make money on someone else, and you honestly don't care if they go dead broke on this one deal, so long as you get what you want. (Save that one for last).

Take a pen, for sure. Make them put their deal in writing and hand it to you. When you get it, study it quietly, then take YOUR pen and mark out some of their numbers and write some of your own and hand it back.

They are offering prices way higher than they will accept. You need to offer prices way lower than you can expect.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Bet the bank love you Later RJD
Ford too. Had a 6 month old F150 traded for a new F250...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #23

After local negotiations failed we contacted a small dealer Brewbakers in lower Michigan. And they not only honored "web price" but said it would be in the fall clearance special the following week and gave us that lower price. Salesman made negotiations a pleasant chore.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #24

Ther were rolling over your deficit from your current to your new RV.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMar View Post
Called and they said mistake on website and I checked it again and they fixed it.
That wasn't a mistake.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #26

Don't know what position you are financially on your Durango, but have you considered trading it and keeping the camper? If you need ( want ) a camper the size you purchased, would you be satisfied with a smaller one? Check out a Ram 1500. It rides as comfortably as your Durango but, being a truck, can handle heavier loads. Just a thought.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #27

call em on it

First of all, talk to the manager, not the salesman. In his office. Quietly.
Tel them all that transpired, and ask, "what the hell?"
If there is much (even a little) shilly-shallying, then walk out.
As to your current rig, either get used to it, live with it, or take it elsewhere. You are NOT going to get what you paid for a rig a month ago.
Salesmen are dirtbags, who couldn't get an honest job stealing, or in politics.
they lie, are un-informed,("oh, yeah, your truck will pull that just fine"), or they have absolutely no authority to say or offer what they offer.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
If you want that 17,000 dollar price for the new/used trailer then I can guarantee you they won’t give you what you paid for the trailer you are trading in. The trailer you are trading in will have to be sold as a used unit.

Here’s a shock for everyone, RV dealers are in business to make money.

Here’s another shock for everyone, RV salesmen will tell you anything to make the sale. A salesman job is to sell. Caveat Emptor.
Rv dealers could make more money if they gave better service. Don't know why fr. Puts up with this crap?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMar View Post
Called and asked the price of the TT and salesman quoted $26,000, I was quoted $23,000 in person yesterday. Then I told him website showed $17,000 and OH NO!!, mistake! Soon as I hung up phone, price was changed on website to $26,000.
We have only half of the equation. No info on the one you bought or the price.
Is it feasible to go for a full price trade and negotiate on the $23K quoted in person? Apparently, the dealer knows your TT and is confident he can turn it. Another option, if you got a good deal on the one you have, could you sell privately and then deal. 'Tis the season to sell.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My RV dealer quoted me a price over the phone from their web site and how much he would give me for a trade in. When I stopped in a few weeks later to look at the RV he had to offer. Now he jack up the price by $4,000 and said they never advertised the lower price. After a couple of hours of haggling I got my price. They were hungry for a sale in late winter on last years model so I had them over the barrel. My only mistake was, I didn't print out the add with the price.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #31

Car, boat, and RV sales people are often scammers, and thieves. There are a small number who are not. I have been lucky enough to have met a few. I deal with a car salesman who I have bought 11 cars from. The RV dealer that I buy from, in the Daytona Beach area is a mom and pop dealership. He doesn't sell new, as the manufactures try to control too much. Also there is more profit in used. I have bought 3 class As, a 5er, and a TT from him. I believe that each was a fair deal. I just bought a newer class A, from an individual, and I'm sorry I did. I great dealer is fantastic, anything less is bad.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #32

As others have said, print out the webpage and bring it with you. But...keep it in your back pocket. We did our homework prior to going to the dealership. The online price was $5,000 less than the salesman quoted us (he was really playing the role of the martyr..."I can work with management and can possibly get a thousand dollars off the price." - sheesh, don't do me any favors).

Anyhoo, we kept our mouths shut until it was time to talk numbers. I asked him for his best price and when he gave us the high figure, we informed him of the online price. His look of shock was laughable but he did go online to verify this. Funny thing, when he logged onto the site, it turns out the price had been lowered an additional $2,000. Turns out the owner had stopped by that very morning (I saw him walking around the lot) and dropped the price as he wanted to move this particular unit. It worked.

badge2283 - may I ask which dealership? We dealt with RV Direct in Orlando but live down the coast from you in Cocoa. Always good to know of a quality Mom & Pop Dealership. Thanks.

Cheers,

Joe
JoBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #33

they might have told you they would give you what you payed for current one to trade back in, but in order to do so, you won't get the full discount on the next purchase. It's all a numbers game. They can make it look like whatever you want to see. No such thing as returning an RV for a full refund.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #34

Indeed. Traded new trailer - only out twice in it- for MH. Lost almost 50% on trailer. Trades of new units are tough on the consumer.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #35

JoBu, we deal with Robbins Camper World. I find the owner Dennis Robbins to be one of the most honest, if not the most honest RV dealers. We have tried to deal with many other dealers, and found a few that were honest, but none match Robbins. Dennis has told people not to buy one of his units, as it wasn't for them. I have said that if I had to jump in the ocean, I could hand Dennis my wallet, and when I got back I wouldn't need to look in my wallet.
They also have parts and service.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote