Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #21

We bought one at Walmart for around 90$ it works great makes plenty of ice for me and the wife . We use it all the time we liked it so well we got another one for the house rather than fix our ice maker in our house fridge when it broke. It has a drain in the bottom it’s a little awkward holding it over the sink and opening the drain but not a big deal it’s lasted about 2 years and still working so I’d give it 5 stars.
Sfgoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Arin View Post
I am looking for an ice maker for my Rv,please suggest the one which is easy to lean and has a drain facility and will it be good to look at this feature or should I focus on other features please share your suggesstion and photos if you have any
We have a Frigdare 40lb in 24 hour. Love it keeps us with ice for College football season.
Robyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #23

Purchased a cheap countetop model from Walmart. Works fine. Makes more than enough ice for daily use (2 of us) plus enough to put some in gallon zip lock bags to store in the freezer.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #24

We use a Della from Amazon. Works great. Does not keep ice frozen so you need to transfer "cubes" to baggy in the freezer, but you get ice within 6 minutes of turning it on, and every 6 minutes after that. Saves a bunch on buying ice for the cooler or drinks.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #25

Walmart

Quote:
I am looking for an ice maker for my Rv,please suggest the one which is easy to lean and has a drain facility and will it be good to look at this feature or should I focus on other features please share your suggesstion and photos if you have any
Go to walmart and purchase the counter model 70 bucks on sale.
almcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #26
World Wide Wanderer

We got the Aldi's countertop model for ~$70. IIRC 3 years ago. It has been cranking out the ice ever since. I believe it is made by Dometic and branded Ambiano. We keep a quart-sized plastic tub full of ice cubes in the freezer to use while we are on the road, then use the ice maker when we are stationary for a few days.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
We use a Della from Amazon. Works great. Does not keep ice frozen so you need to transfer "cubes" to baggy in the freezer, but you get ice within 6 minutes of turning it on, and every 6 minutes after that. Saves a bunch on buying ice for the cooler or drinks.
That's the same one we have. When we're at camp it runs 24/7 making ice. Not every 6 minutes in 90 degree temps, but fast enough. We go through a LOT of ice keeping soda, water, and beer cold in a 42 qt Artic, as well as smaller coolers for day trips. It's a good unit.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #28

We keep ours outside. During Florida summers, these things can add so much heat to the inside, the A/C can’t keep up. I Agree, wouldn’t be without one.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #29

Ice nice

Under the bar unit that vents from the front side from overstock 5ys ago, placed in the rear storage bay and plumbed into the water system, we can evem make ice off the gen and water tank why rolling. We start ice about a hour out from camp while we run the AC to cool he coach down to where we want it when we pull in.
Attached Images

"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Under the bar unit that vents from the front side from overstock 5ys ago, placed in the rear storage bay and plumbed into the water system, we can evem make ice off the gen and water tank why rolling. We start ice about a hour out from camp while we run the AC to cool he coach down to where we want it when we pull in.
Cool!!!! Do you have a brand and specs so i can hunt one down?
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
We have an igloo portable we take on some trips.

First one lasted four years or more until it fell out of the storage bay - they don’t like that.

Replaced with the same one for about $100.

Has a drain and makes ice pretty quick.

Most trips we just take ice from our home freezer and take that though.
How many lbs of ice does it make in 24 hours and where did you buy it from online or Walmart.
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyne View Post
We have a Frigdare 40lb in 24 hour. Love it keeps us with ice for College football season.
I think its standalone ice maker the quantity of ice it's giving not possible in portable ice maker. Let me know if I am correct
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:08 AM   #33

Quote:
How many lbs of ice does it make in 24 hours and where did you buy it from online or Walmart.

Says it will make 26 pounds per day.

We have the one that makes the two different sizes.

Picked it up at Walmart for less than $100 if I remember correctly.

If you put the ice in bags then in the freezer you will need to bang the bag before pulling ice out later. Probably the same with all the small portables - ice is a little damp when it comes out so sticks together when freezing.

We just leave it outside and turn it in when everybody is headed to our site for getting together. Any moisture goes right back in the feed and we never seem to run out.

The auto shutoff when full is nice too.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #34

We love our portable ice maker. Works best with cold water and makes ice in less than 8 mins. We store it when not in use and use bottle water. Almost 2000 sold on Amazon.
hOmeLabs
4.1 out of 5 stars 1,940 Reviews
hOmeLabs Portable Ice Maker Machine for Countertop - Makes 26 lbs of Ice per 24 hours - Ice Cubes ready in 8 Minutes - Electric Ice Making Machine with Ice Scoop and 1.5 lb Ice Storage - Silver
KF6VBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #35

We have the Igloo as others have mentioned. It makes small and large cubes and has a drain plug. And yes I think that’s important because I sterilize the thing periodically and the drain makes that a snap. It’s been a good machine for us. It’s traveled about 10,000 miles with us over the last couple years. It typically sets in the little space between our pantry and the slide when when we are going down the road. We wrap a towel around it so it doesn’t rub. The only thing to keep in mind is if you are in hot weather and not running your AC, it will take longer for it to do it’s job. Once it gets going it’s fine though.
RoyalOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #36

I have had a slight temptation, but I decided to try my frugal system. I freeze several gallons of water prior to our trip. We drink a huge amount of bottled water and I freeze several of those.
Of course I frequently swap unfrozen with frozen and we have never run out.

We camp no longer than a week at a time, but we have never had to buy bagged ice. I never run out,of fresh water for coffee and if we use the single serving of tea, lemonade etc, we always have cold water.

Husband insisted on a few ice trays and they have been used 1x

We don't own a Yetti and our old..I mean old..Coleman cooler does a good job.
judymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #37

Generic here too...

We have one of the 100-dollar generic portable icemakers from Walmart and use it in our Sierra. Only issue I've ever had was at one site that had low AC voltage on their hookups and the compressor wouldn't start. Otherwise it makes 3 sizes of 'wet' style ice. I use the camper's freezer to further harden it.
Uxyfutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to Davidnanna Send a message via MSN to Davidnanna
Ice Maker

We have had a Magic Chef Portable Ice Maker for over 5 years. It makes ice quickly and approximately 27 lbs of ice per day. We have ALWAYS had enough ice, even when we have our three grandchildren and a friend or two. Its super easy to use and is extremely durable. I believe I paid around $100 and it's a bargin at even a higher price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190923_190433.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	215879  
Davidnanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #39

We have an Igloo and it does great! Makes 26 lbs of ice per day.
Dianafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #40

Mine is an Emerson. I bought it at Target about 5-6 years ago. It looks like the Magic Chef in the post just above. It was $99 and the ones at the camper stores were close to $300. Walmart carries ice makers, too, for about $100.
bhunt2405 is offline   Reply With Quote