Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 12:53 AM   #1

Ice Maker for my RV

I am looking for an ice maker for my Rv,please suggest the one which is easy to lean and has a drain facility and will it be good to look at this feature or should I focus on other features please share your suggesstion and photos if you have any
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:39 AM   #2
Always Learning

Either spend the stupid amount of money for an Opal to make the good idea.

Or spend as little as possible. They’re all the same with different skin on them.

We make ice from a gallon of water (2-3 ziplock bag fulls) and our that into the freezer. Lasts us for 2-3 days and then we repeat. We have found IKEA’s ziplock bags can be reused 2-3 times before it gets too many holes.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:03 AM   #3

We have an igloo portable we take on some trips.

First one lasted four years or more until it fell out of the storage bay - they don’t like that.

Replaced with the same one for about $100.

Has a drain and makes ice pretty quick.

Most trips we just take ice from our home freezer and take that though.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #4

Depends on what you want. Countertop model? They are about the same at about $100(as stated).

For about 350-400 one can get a machine that will make “100 lbs” a day. They have many types and styles. eBay is another option as they can be cheap there. Just depends on the type you want.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

Ice maker

Our's is a Frigidaire. Works fine, has a drain. We just use it for making ice cubes for drinking, meals. One of the best appliances I ever bought for the RV.
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #6

One of the best purchases we ever made was portable ice maker. I think ours is an Emerson? But like someone else said, mostly the same internals with different skin. I think we landed ours for under $100 on Woot.com On that site you just have to wait until it's available and then jump on it.
MattCrecelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #7

There are two sizes of these. Generally, the larger one makes large, medium and small "cubes", while the smaller size makes medium and small. We got the large one, but in retrospect I would prefer the smaller icemaker -less footprint, lighter weight and still makes plenty of ice.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #8

We have one of the tabletop 50# models. Works great. BUT, it's a bit loud to be inside a small area, it takes up prescious counter space and to get that much ice, I have to keep an eye on it and dump it into freezer bags every 30-40 minutes or so. We love the ice, but the cons really outweigh the savings and convenient. Looking at one of those portable freezer coolers instead.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #9

We have 2 of these very happy ... small compact and fast ... good luck https://www.amazon.com/Vremi-Counter...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #10

We bought this one from Amazon. I think it was $109. at the time.... I can't keep up with it, makes lots of ice fast. We take grand kids a lot and have them switch every day to be Help Boppa, to keep emptying it .. but as someone said, they all are really alike, make exactly the same kind of ice, small or large....When I purchased ours, there were a lot of complaints about the drains on all most every ice maker, made.....I have never used the drain. JUST Unplug it, pour out the water... Great investment! I am sure it has paid for itself, and then some.... AND you don't have to keep running for ice, except to CONSTANTLY empty it! lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J2LSQS...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 09-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #11

We bought our Tramontina Ice Machine about 2 years ago $70 from Sam’s. We full time during the winter. It has paid for itself over many times. One of the best things we have bought for our RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4E7AE41-1EB9-49DF-AAC3-F9DBD3ED86BA.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	215364  
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #12

We had one of the $100 or so jobs (ours was an Igloo) for 5 years or so until it crapped out. When I went to WalMart for a replacement, they had one of these as an "open box" special for $105, so I grabbed it. It makes much more ice, and uses a different technology that makes square, almost clear ice. It will keep our 18-quart igloo drink cooler going all day with plenty of ice left over for evening cocktails. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frigidair...ll&athena=true
Zeke (the Partipoodle) 8 yrs, Ginger (standard poodle) 7 mos - both rescues
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #13

We use a portable to make ice cubes. Lots of work, here in SW Florida we need lots of ice. I had a built in ice maker in an old Bluebird that cranked out ice like no tomorrow. I would gladly give up the oven space (which we never use) in our RV for a built in ice maker. Suggestions?
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #14
Part-Time Campground Host

We use our ice maker for the 6 months we travel each year. We use only bottled water for the ice maker, cooking, and drinking. We've had no problems and it saves on freezer space as we can make our own ice.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
We use a portable to make ice cubes. Lots of work, here in SW Florida we need lots of ice. I had a built in ice maker in an old Bluebird that cranked out ice like no tomorrow. I would gladly give up the oven space (which we never use) in our RV for a built in ice maker. Suggestions?
This doesn't have any sarcasm, though it reads like it: what's stopping you? The oven is very easy to take out.

You might also have to dissect a drawer under it. But there are plenty of "under-counter" ice makers. The cost is high, though.

We stayed in Florida from Nov-Aug and never really felt like making ice was a ton of work (especially for the cost of the under counter ice makers). As I said originally, we'd run it and then just fill Ziplock bags that we freeze. Usually takes a day to make 2-3 days of ice. We have a storage spot that we built just for it.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
Old Engineer

You might look at "ice bags", they are a plastic bag divided into ice cube sized compartments with a built in funnel at the end.

You fill the bag with water and twist the end closed and tie a knot in it so it doesn't leak and put it in the freezer right on the cold plate.

They freeze very quickly since the bag has no thermal mass like an ice cube tray.

The ice cubes don't evaporate because they are enclosed in the bag until you "twist out" only as many as you need for your manhattan or martini.

We have one of the inexpensive ice cube machines on our boat and it works great if we have shore power, otherwise we use the "ice bags".

We don't have room for the ice cube machines size or weight in the MH so we use the "ice bags" there.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This doesn't have any sarcasm, though it reads like it: what's stopping you? The oven is very easy to take out.

You might also have to dissect a drawer under it. But there are plenty of "under-counter" ice makers. The cost is high, though.

We stayed in Florida from Nov-Aug and never really felt like making ice was a ton of work (especially for the cost of the under counter ice makers). As I said originally, we'd run it and then just fill Ziplock bags that we freeze. Usually takes a day to make 2-3 days of ice. We have a storage spot that we built just for it.
Yes ependydad you are correct we are not melting here in Florida (sometimes it feels like it) ... and our stove never gets used but we are not putting in a ice maker but I bet it has been done somewhere ... our small portable ice maker is fine
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #18

We bought the Igloo portable last year at WMT online about $100 and it has been one of our most usefull purchases. No longer need to pick up ice bags and deal with a bulky ice chest. I keep ours outside and start it up each morning at daylight and we have a steady supply all day. At night, I just turn it off and put a trash bag over it. This summer I bought one of the carry bags from CW about $18 and that makes it so much easier to load and transport.
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #19

Ice maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Arin View Post
I am looking for an ice maker for my Rv,please suggest the one which is easy to lean and has a drain facility and will it be good to look at this feature or should I focus on other features please share your suggesstion and photos if you have any
I too use Igloo. Walmart usually has best prices. It puts out lots of heat so I put mine outside under my slide on bricks. Makes it convenient and keeps it out of the weather. I put a folded towel over the lid to help the ice not melt as fast. Usually last 1-2 years. I do purchase the extended warranty to ward off the evil breakdown spirits. We are full timers so it is always running. Wouldn't be without it.
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #20

Ice Maker

Bought at wally world and it sits on the counter and fill it with water and makes lots of ice.Interesting is that as the ice melts, what you don't use, refills the water hold area and makes new ice. I think it was $90.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote