Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
MI Camperz
Question Ideas for Keeping Mosquitos/Bees away

I'm hoping to hear some good ideas for keeping mosquitos and bees away.
Fogging is usually not allowed for health and environment reasons. However, mosquitos and bees can also be a health problem to some people. Any good healthy, earth friendly ideas out there? We usually use citrinella candles with only so-so results. Thank you for your input and ideas.

bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Propane method? Not sure what its called but heard they work.
Now if you watch swamp people on history channel
They used about a 6 foot shot gun to kill bees

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Try a Thermacel. I'm not sure it works for bees but they do work well for mosquitos.
2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2008 Dodge 2500 CTD

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
What's earth friendly?

I use Off! Powerpad lanterns and lamps. These work for me with mosquitoes. They are usually cheaper at Walmart where I buy mine. They come with refills that you will want to get, too. I don't know if they work with bees.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
We just finished a week long trek through a couple of SPs in Central Florida and I can confidently report that these, Columbia Sportswear | Men's Bug Me Not™ Mini Crew really work! My wife bought me a couple of pairs b/c inevitably at the end of every camping trip my ankles look like I have stepped on a mount of angry red ants, but the bites are from mosquitoes and sand flies (no-see-ums). With these on I came back with ZERO ankle bites. Maybe I can get her to buy me a Bug Shield shirt too! Columbia Sportswear | Men's Bug Shield™ Long Sleeve Shirt
Frank & Rita M
2008 Ford FX2 F-150 3.73 CC 139" WB w/EQ4 WDS
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
We've used Thermacell for a couple years and it does work great on skeeters.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Have you tried the Off clip-on? Off! Clip-On Mosquito Repellent Set - 1 Repellent + 6 Refills: Patio, Lawn & Garden I have found that if you are sitting around or are not moving very fast, they are very effective at keeping mosquitos away.

They don't help with bees, but unless you are in an area with killer bees, they are usually not very aggressive. If it is wasps that are the problem, try a wasp trap. Springstar GWT1 Glass Wasp Trap: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
I had a miserable stay at Indiana Dunes State Park last year due to the camping neighbors next to us. They had their 12 year old son run a heavy duty fogger at various times during the evening including when we both were at the picnic table eating. I don't know how they could expect to cook and eat while doing that but they did and it didn't bother them either. I spoke a couple times to the park office but they didn't really want to do anything. I was able to gather another neighbor who eventually went over there and we received (as you would expect) a luke warm reception but it did help. Anyway, this doesn't really apply to this post other than I appreciate that you are opposed to fogging and are looking for earth-friendly alternatives.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Site Team
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
Try a Thermacel. I'm not sure it works for bees but they do work well for mosquitos.
X2. Thermacell works great. We keep one and supplies for it in the trailer at all times.
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
I use the Off Clip on repellant with the little fan inside. It uses Off refills. I guess it works ok. We had a problem with our lights on and windows open mosquitos and nats want to try and come in through the screen. I upgraded our interior light above the dinetted where we spend most of our time with Led light. I read somewhere that mosquitos don't see led light? I was upgrading to led's anyway but an extra benifit wont hurt if it works.

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote