Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #31
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
There's another option available to you too. Trade your QBOK in on a Toy hauler and then you'll have the garage to easily transport a whole garden around.
LOL- if we did that, my daughter would demand a golf cart, bikes would be properly put in the garage and my fifth wheel would have negative pin weight with the way we pack!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
LOL- if we did that, my daughter would demand a golf cart, bikes would be properly put in the garage and my fifth wheel would have negative pin weight with the way we pack!

Yeah, but with a golf cart you can pull a small trailer with your garden planted on it. No need to lift anything.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #33
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Yeah, but with a golf cart you can pull a small trailer with your garden planted on it. No need to lift anything.
Double-towing is always an option :
Quote:
My brother gave me a pull behind trailer, 12ft long, and I turned it into a mobile greenhouse. Georgia has the strictest limits on size and height of home made trailers and using their guidelines you can pretty much have anything you want to carry with you if you put in the time and effort to just build it yourself. Using the mobile garden, I grow most of my family's food. I canned the veggies and, at 13 ft tall, I even have a banana tree, and coffee tree plants along with tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, potatoes, squash, lettuce, broccoli , okra, green beans, peas, onions, eggplants, corn, watermelons, and cantaloupes. Its wonderful to be able to grow my own food and can the veggies and fruits.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #34
Fulltime family RVer

Ok, I assume I could grow tomatoes in a 5gallon bucket or it looks like someone is growing them in reusable shopping bags:

Seems like weight would be a little easier to manage this way. 1 bucket/bag to 1 plant. Unless I put them in the shower, it still doesn't help me protect them from the wind for travel. And, there doesn't seem to be anyway of protecting them from movement unless I go for the criss-cross of twine like the bumper-garden guy.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #35

After reading all of this,Mushroons would be the perfect plant for FRF Members. Grown in the dark and covered with Manure! Youroo!!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Ok, I assume I could grow tomatoes in a 5gallon bucket or it looks like someone is growing them in reusable shopping bags:

Seems like weight would be a little easier to manage this way. 1 bucket/bag to 1 plant. Unless I put them in the shower, it still doesn't help me protect them from the wind for travel. And, there doesn't seem to be anyway of protecting them from movement unless I go for the criss-cross of twine like the bumper-garden guy.
Personally, I love this idea. Mine will ride in the shower during travel and they would be easy to put out at the campsite.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #37

to make pots/bags etc. lighter use lightweight potting soil and mix in Styrofoam beads. I'm tempted to try packing peanuts myself but haven't yet. You may need to give them a drink twice a day but heck your just sitting around with nothing to do anyways right?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #38

Quote:
But I like it, for no other reason than to try and see if we can. Plus, we may get a science fair project out of it for daughter.
Science project made me think of this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scienceproject.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	46470

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #39
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese53073 View Post
to make pots/bags etc. lighter use lightweight potting soil and mix in Styrofoam beads. I'm tempted to try packing peanuts myself but haven't yet. You may need to give them a drink twice a day but heck your just sitting around with nothing to do anyways right?

I wish! I work fulltime from the camper while we're on the road. But I'll look I to using styrofoam anyway!

Tags
travel