Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #21
NELA

What gardening I do, I do here at home and pay two teen boys down the road to water everything for me while we're gone camping.

(dusts off hands) DONE.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ideas? Vegetable garden + traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Looks like you weren't alone in this idea:

Still not for me, but neat to see.

Same kind of approach, but not quite what I was thinking. I expected the plants to be in pots so you'd be able to move them from the carrier to an appropriate spot in the campsite. The back of the trailer rarely has the best sunlight. You'll need something portable so you can deal with different orientations of your campsite and different tree layouts if you're moving sites every few weeks.

Whatever approach you do take, I'd recommend sticking with vegetables that aren't going to be bruised as you transport. Herbs, green or yellow beans, lettuce, onions, garlic or other roots, etc... I can't see constant transport being good for things like cucumbers or tomatoes. Peppers might be fine, they're fairly self sufficient and don't need much tending other than getting water. I've grown them in pots no problem, and they're thicker skinned so they should be able to take some jostling. But they grow tall like tomatoes... so I don't know.

Edit: Opps, saw you posted you don't like peppers, scratch that.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
eDad, I've tried those upside down planters. I've never had luck with them and I have a green thumb.

I've seen them all over the countryside and not one of them has ever flourished. A few tiny tomatoes at best and the plant tends to get long and spindly, wouldn't support a large tomato if you managed to produce one.

Just my opinion/experience and observation.

What oak man said X eleventy. Just camp near local farmers' markets.

LOL I just got a visual of your truck bed as a truck patch;

you're gonna look like The Beverly Hillbillies!

Reckon you can grow some of them thar "Texas Tea" leaves?
Hmm, I've very sad to hear that about the upside down planters. Small tomatoes are fine by us. We did cherry tomatoes one time. Or even the little plum-sized ones. But, I'd rather come up with something that has a likelihood of working vs. being a failure and not knowing if it was my lack of gardening ability, the travel/regular movement aspect on the plants or a marginal product that doomed me out of the gate.

I'm totally down with the Hillbillies look!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #24
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Pepper plants would be about 2 feet. A Tomato plant would require careful pruning (of suckers) to keep it short, bushy, and still bearing.
And, when you plant the tomato plant, to keep it from growing tall instead of bushy and prevent spindly branches, plant it deep...up the the lowest branches.

I'm literally laughing here, envisioning the look on DH's face if I proposed this idea to him. He'd drag out that pretty long sleeved white jacket with the nifty long straps on it!

I'ma show him that bumper garden picture just for kicks and ask how he feels about us trying that. Hey, he loves him some maters, he does!

Sliced mater and bloney sammich with Miracle Whip is nectar of the Gods, I'm sayin'!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #25
NELA

Quote:
Hmm, I've very sad to hear that about the upside down planters. Small tomatoes are fine by us. We did cherry tomatoes one time. Or even the little plum-sized ones. But, I'd rather come up with something that has a likelihood of working vs. being a failure and not knowing if it was my lack of gardening ability, the travel/regular movement aspect on the plants or a marginal product that doomed me out of the gate.

I'm totally down with the Hillbillies look!
Laughing harder! OMG if you build a "tooba fore" (that's how 2X4 is pronounced 'round here) garden on that 5er's back bumper I want pictures!

LOTS of pictures, and you also have to post them on your blog!

WAIT....would a garden on the back bumper void the frame warranty?

<<<<duckin' and runnin'

Old 02-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Same kind of approach, but not quite what I was thinking. I expected the plants to be in pots so you'd be able to move them from the carrier to an appropriate spot in the campsite. The back of the trailer rarely has the best sunlight. You'll need something portable so you can deal with different orientations of your campsite and different tree layouts if you're moving sites every few weeks.
Ahh, ok - that makes a lot more sense. Good thinking.

Quote:
Whatever approach you do take, I'd recommend sticking with vegetables that aren't going to be bruised as you transport. Herbs, green or yellow beans, lettuce, onions, garlic or other roots, etc... I can't see constant transport being good for things like cucumbers or tomatoes. Peppers might be fine, they're fairly self sufficient and don't need much tending other than getting water. I've grown them in pots no problem, and they're thicker skinned so they should be able to take some jostling. But they grow tall like tomatoes... so I don't know.

Edit: Opps, saw you posted you don't like peppers, scratch that.
That's the rub- tomatoes are the one that I'd personally like to see grown the most. You make a really good point about the bruising and I knew that I worried about them being moved so often- but didn't quite know why. I was more thinking the stress on the stems.

Right now- I'm leaning towards my crop being tomatoes, lettuce, and strawberries. Though, I do like the idea of garlic and maybe some herbs.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
And, when you plant the tomato plant, to keep it from growing tall instead of bushy and prevent spindly branches, plant it deep...up the the lowest branches.

Sliced mater and bloney sammich with Miracle Whip is nectar of the Gods, I'm sayin'!
Planting tips are welcome.

And Miracle Whip... ... wow, I need to re-think our friendship. Just plain mayo and sliced mater on toast for me.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Laughing harder! OMG if you build a "tooba fore" (that's how 2X4 is pronounced 'round here) garden on that 5er's back bumper I want pictures!

LOTS of pictures, and you also have to post them on your blog!

WAIT....would a garden on the back bumper void the frame warranty?

<<<<duckin' and runnin'
Nah, BUT if I went that route- I'd source a Sabre-approved bike rack and build on top of that (or do the reasonable thing and go with pots like Kaadk suggested).
Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

There's another option available to you too. Trade your QBOK in on a Toy hauler and then you'll have the garage to easily transport a whole garden around.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
You got the board buzzing... You might try an earth box.
Sun Harbor Nursery Earthbox Gardening Systems, Earthbox Garden Planter & Seminar

I've used them in the past. They are easy to maintain and you can't overfill with water. It is on wheels but not sure how much it weighs once filled with soil but you may have that problem with any solution.
Also, tomatoes grow tall, could be the main issue unless you find a short variety..
I like the portability of these. I could put a bilge drain plug on one end to empty the water for transport to save weight that way.

The weight is my biggest concern with all of this and frankly why I liked the idea of the upside down planter - I really don't want to be moving heavy stuff weekly or so. That, itself, could be the biggest killed of the project.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
There's another option available to you too. Trade your QBOK in on a Toy hauler and then you'll have the garage to easily transport a whole garden around.
LOL- if we did that, my daughter would demand a golf cart, bikes would be properly put in the garage and my fifth wheel would have negative pin weight with the way we pack!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
LOL- if we did that, my daughter would demand a golf cart, bikes would be properly put in the garage and my fifth wheel would have negative pin weight with the way we pack!

Yeah, but with a golf cart you can pull a small trailer with your garden planted on it. No need to lift anything.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
Yeah, but with a golf cart you can pull a small trailer with your garden planted on it. No need to lift anything.
Double-towing is always an option :
Quote:
My brother gave me a pull behind trailer, 12ft long, and I turned it into a mobile greenhouse. Georgia has the strictest limits on size and height of home made trailers and using their guidelines you can pretty much have anything you want to carry with you if you put in the time and effort to just build it yourself. Using the mobile garden, I grow most of my family's food. I canned the veggies and, at 13 ft tall, I even have a banana tree, and coffee tree plants along with tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, potatoes, squash, lettuce, broccoli , okra, green beans, peas, onions, eggplants, corn, watermelons, and cantaloupes. Its wonderful to be able to grow my own food and can the veggies and fruits.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #34
Always Learning

Ok, I assume I could grow tomatoes in a 5gallon bucket or it looks like someone is growing them in reusable shopping bags:

Seems like weight would be a little easier to manage this way. 1 bucket/bag to 1 plant. Unless I put them in the shower, it still doesn't help me protect them from the wind for travel. And, there doesn't seem to be anyway of protecting them from movement unless I go for the criss-cross of twine like the bumper-garden guy.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #35

After reading all of this,Mushroons would be the perfect plant for FRF Members. Grown in the dark and covered with Manure! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Ok, I assume I could grow tomatoes in a 5gallon bucket or it looks like someone is growing them in reusable shopping bags:

Seems like weight would be a little easier to manage this way. 1 bucket/bag to 1 plant. Unless I put them in the shower, it still doesn't help me protect them from the wind for travel. And, there doesn't seem to be anyway of protecting them from movement unless I go for the criss-cross of twine like the bumper-garden guy.
Personally, I love this idea. Mine will ride in the shower during travel and they would be easy to put out at the campsite.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #37

to make pots/bags etc. lighter use lightweight potting soil and mix in Styrofoam beads. I'm tempted to try packing peanuts myself but haven't yet. You may need to give them a drink twice a day but heck your just sitting around with nothing to do anyways right?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #38

Quote:
But I like it, for no other reason than to try and see if we can. Plus, we may get a science fair project out of it for daughter.
Science project made me think of this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scienceproject.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	46470

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #39
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese53073 View Post
to make pots/bags etc. lighter use lightweight potting soil and mix in Styrofoam beads. I'm tempted to try packing peanuts myself but haven't yet. You may need to give them a drink twice a day but heck your just sitting around with nothing to do anyways right?

I wish! I work fulltime from the camper while we're on the road. But I'll look I to using styrofoam anyway!

Tags
travel