Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Always Learning

Ideas? Vegetable garden + traveling

My wife has tasked me with coming up with a workable idea for her to have a garden this year while still supporting our urge to travel a majority of the summer.

If we had our druthers, the primary plants would be:
1) Tomatoes
2) Lettuce
3) Spinach
4) Red onions

The goals of the project would be:
1) Lightweight (assuming I have to move it during travel + setup at parks that we stay for up to 1-2 weeks at a time)

2) Protected during travel (our basement is generally full and I don't want to be stepping over these in the camper from place to place; so I'm thinking truck bed is where they'll live)

My wild idea:
I don't know if a hydroponic setup can have its water dumped out with any regularity or if that negates the benefits of the system. If it can be dumped out, I'd think that would solve my "lightweight" requirement as I could dump out the water (to the sewer system on the sites we stay at- not on the ground). BUT- I don't have any idea here. A traditional dirt garden seems like it could get heavy and make me rage each time I have to move it.

I'm thinking some kind of lidded containers would solve my "protected during travel" requirement. For the tomatoes, the height of the plants seem like it could be a problem.

We've only ever had a couple of mostly unsuccessful growing attempts in our backyard in pots. We did tomatoes once; cucumbers once and lettuce (that tasted super bitter). Any gardening tips are welcome, too!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Always Learning

Well, spinach appears to be out since it's a cold weather crop:
Growing Spinach - Bonnie Plants
Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen lettuce bowls for sale once. Basically a head of Romaine in a small pot. Probably max 2' high. Should be able to travel with that fairly easily in the bed of the pickup. Another option is to install a rack in the back of your 5'er, say something like this (http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-...rt/C18132.html) and then build a greenhouse over it. Being at the back will prevent it from too many wind buffets and the plexiglass of the greenhouse should take care of the rest. Just remember to account for the extra length when backing up.

Our option is to just garden at home. I make sure my vegetables are all planted in pots that are too tall for the rabbits to reach, but short enough to get watered by the automatic lawn sprinklers. I'll weed them every 3-4 weeks and otherwise just try to keep up with the harvesting.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #4

The onions, spinach and lettuce are not deep-rooted and should easily grow in 2' - 4" deep containers with good soil.

Spinach is not going to do well in the heat of the Summer.

Tomatoes are going to be a little tougher. Determinate or Bush varieties can be grown in slightly deeper containers without staking - once again if the soil provides their needs.

This will be an interesting experiment. Your plants could be laid down for travel, but you'd have to protect them from wind unless the truck has a cover. Wilting from heat and dehydration will be a problem,too.

I might try a few of the Patio type tomatoes for the sake of trying. But I believe I'd hit the farmer's markets for my big slicers....

I think you can have good luck growing a tray of onions and lettuce all the way through the season.

Good luck.

edit:.....http://www.truckfarm.org/
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Always Learning

Kaadk-
We're already pulling a really long fifth wheel at 42' 10" (supposedly), so I really don't want to add onto the back. That was a really interesting thought, though.

Gardening at home is pretty well out. We are hoping to be gone for about 6-8 weeks and the wildlife in the backyard is pretty abundant (for a suburban area!) - we regularly have deer, raccoon, rabbits and groundhogs in the backyard. (A full lot size that is only about 1/4 of an acre!)

Hudlow -
I've been reading up on onions- it seems like they may be a lost cause, as well as they're a cold weather plant, too. But, we did use a relatively flat tray for our lettuce back when we tried it. I'm not sure what turned it bitter, though.

Protecting stuff in the truck bed is a trick as we pull a fifth wheel. At most, I can cover about 1/2 of the bed, but it's still open. I'd rather fashion some kind of protective "lids" for whatever planting pots that I come up with.

The weight of the pots with soil is another worry - simply from lifting them into and out of the truck bed. I'm really lazy.

The wilting is a worry, definitely. Especially if I'm covering them to protect them from the wind- seems like I'd be compounding the heat issue.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #6

There are times when you should just say "no." Just sayin. My hats off to you for trying though.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Have you seen the inverted hanging planters for tomatos?

Topsy Turvy Upside Down Tomato Planter

You could also plant peppers and some others this way.

I would think the awning accessory rail could be used to hang the plants (not too many of course) while set up; and a hanger bar across the shower while in transit.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #8

I saw this the other day on-line, it's a pallet. Something like it might work in the back of your truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pallet garden.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	46434
CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
There are times when you should just say "no." Just sayin. My hats off to you for trying though.
You've had me chuckling today.

But I like it, for no other reason than to try and see if we can. Plus, we may get a science fair project out of it for daughter.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Have you seen the inverted hanging planters for tomatos?

Topsy Turvy Upside Down Tomato Planter

You could also plant peppers and some others this way.

I would think the awning accessory rail could be used to hang the plants (not too many of course) while set up; and a hanger bar across the shower while in transit.
We do have the awning support poles, so this could work. I'm not sure that I trust the shower hanger/support idea, though. I could possibly make some kind of small saw horses to hang it from, though. Does anyone know how far down these things hang?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingDixieDogs View Post
I saw this the other day on-line, it's a pallet. Something like it might work in the back of your truck.
Interesting idea. I'm not sure that I want to dedicate the truck bed space to it. I was thinking of something that could be moved out of the truck when we get to a park and then re-loaded when travel to the next one.

Another idea- I just saw this:
You can grow small plants in over-the-door canvas shoe holders. Vertical space on an RV door keeps them out of the walkway or off counters, and you can hang it outside from rings on your awning to get more sun when you’re in the campground.
from: http://www.styxriverrvpark.com/alaba...n-will-travel/

Same idea, I could grow smaller plants in it and hang it from the awning rail.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You've had me chuckling today.

But I like it, for no other reason than to try and see if we can. Plus, we may get a science fair project out of it for daughter.
Whoa! Pleasing your wife and your daughter in one fell swoop, now I'm doubly impressed. That's some serious multi-tasking.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Another option is to install a rack in the back of your 5'er, say something like this (24x60 Curt Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches - Steel - Folding - 500 lbs Curt Hitch Cargo Carrier C18132) and then build a greenhouse over it. Being at the back will prevent it from too many wind buffets and the plexiglass of the greenhouse should take care of the rest. Just remember to account for the extra length when backing up.
Looks like you weren't alone in this idea:

Still not for me, but neat to see.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Whoa! Pleasing your wife and your daughter in one fell swoop, now I'm doubly impressed. That's some serious multi-tasking.
Talk is cheap.

(So don't give me credit just yet! )
Old 02-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
We do have the awning support poles, so this could work. I'm not sure that I trust the shower hanger/support idea, though. I could possibly make some kind of small saw horses to hang it from, though. Does anyone know how far down these things hang?
Pepper plants would be about 2 feet. A Tomato plant would require careful pruning (of suckers) to keep it short, bushy, and still bearing.

A shower rod across the glass walls (in my corner unit) would actually work well. We use our shower now to transport our house plants.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #16

You got the board buzzing... You might try an earth box.
Sun Harbor Nursery Earthbox Gardening Systems, Earthbox Garden Planter & Seminar

I've used them in the past. They are easy to maintain and you can't overfill with water. It is on wheels but not sure how much it weighs once filled with soil but you may have that problem with any solution.
Also, tomatoes grow tall, could be the main issue unless you find a short variety..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #17
NELA

eDad, I've tried those upside down planters. I've never had luck with them and I have a green thumb.

I've seen them all over the countryside and not one of them has ever flourished. A few tiny tomatoes at best and the plant tends to get long and spindly, wouldn't support a large tomato if you managed to produce one.

Just my opinion/experience and observation.

What oak man said X eleventy. Just camp near local farmers' markets.

LOL I just got a visual of your truck bed as a truck patch;

you're gonna look like The Beverly Hillbillies!

Reckon you can grow some of them thar "Texas Tea" leaves?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Pepper plants would be about 2 feet. A Tomato plant would require careful pruning (of suckers) to keep it short, bushy, and still bearing.

A shower rod across the glass walls (in my corner unit) would actually work well. We use our shower now to transport our house plants.
We aren't big pepper eaters but the tomato plant seems about perfect.

Our shower is a rectangle with no lip to hang something from. But, I do think a pair of portable saw horses could be built so that it's easy to assemble/disassemble and could hang the tomato plant from them.

If I went with an over the door rack, could likely be hung from the shower door track itself. I could grow some herbs and possibly strawberries.

Then I could do lettuce in a short/long pot/trays that get put into the truck bed. Just have to get/make some "lids" for travel to keep the wind for beating them up too badly.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Interesting idea. I'm not sure that I want to dedicate the truck bed space to it. I was thinking of something that could be moved out of the truck when we get to a park and then re-loaded when travel to the next one.

Another idea- I just saw this:
You can grow small plants in over-the-door canvas shoe holders. Vertical space on an RV door keeps them out of the walkway or off counters, and you can hang it outside from rings on your awning to get more sun when you’re in the campground.
from: http://www.styxriverrvpark.com/alaba...n-will-travel/

Same idea, I could grow smaller plants in it and hang it from the awning rail.
I like the canvas shoe holders!
CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #20
NELA

Quote:
Looks like you weren't alone in this idea:

Still not for me, but neat to see.
OMG! ROFL seriously! I posted below before I saw this.

YEP, Beverly Hillbillies!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel