Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Idiot driver

I hate drivers like this, I see them all the time, glad nobody was seriously hurt in this one. More of a reason to buy a dashcam.

Click here
NavySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #2

no more of an idiot then the guy in the truck...imo
Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #3

Sure guy in truck should be fined - guy in comaro should be charged with attempted man slaughter
pfeather1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #4

The pickup should have let him go but the car was really dumb for trying to pass on the shoulder. Everyone is in a hurry to save 10 seconds.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #5

they both should be sitting in jail, completely avoidable.....
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
no more of an idiot then the guy in the truck...imo
x2...testosterone and egos. Camaro would have probably found wrecked somewhere down the road but at least the truck drivers wouldn't have been involved if the pu driver just pulled over after passing the tt.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

I agree, the guy in the pickup should have just moved out of the way and let him on his merry way, but we can also play the "what if" game all day. Just glad it ended with no fatalities.
NavySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #8

Pick up shouldn't have been in the passing lane just cruising I agree but the Camero almost caused an accident when he almost pushed the truck off the road and nearly hit the car with the camera. The guy with the pick up then uses his truck as a road block probably on the phone with 911 reporting a reckless driver yet what he should have done is let the camero go and got a plate number then called 911. Hope the guy with the dash cam had hands free phone or he's getting a ticket for that. Whole thing comes down to everyone has to share the road no one person owns it or has the right to risk another persons life just because they drive like idiots. I hope the semi driver sues whoever is found at fault. I get to drive a marked patrol car when I take criminals to prison and you wouldn't believe how times I've come up behind people cruising in the passing lane and they never notice me right behind them. Sat there for 5 miles once ended up passing them in the right lane and they still think they own that lane and don't get over.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the dash cam driver is on blue tooth. I find it interesting he didn't hang up and immediately dial 911. The pick up driver was annoying and probably trapping the camaro on purpose which is stupid. I want that kind of driver as far away from me as possible. The camaro is drunk and is lucky he didn't cause a worse disaster. But hey, at least he can say he used his turn signal to pass on the shoulder. Here is his future transportation.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Pick up shouldn't have been in the passing lane just cruising I agree but the Camero almost caused an accident when he almost pushed the truck off the road and nearly hit the car with the camera. The guy with the pick up then uses his truck as a road block probably on the phone with 911 reporting a reckless driver yet what he should have done is let the camero go and got a plate number then called 911. Hope the guy with the dash cam had hands free phone or he's getting a ticket for that. Whole thing comes down to everyone has to share the road no one person owns it or has the right to risk another persons life just because they drive like idiots. I hope the semi driver sues whoever is found at fault. I get to drive a marked patrol car when I take criminals to prison and you wouldn't believe how times I've come up behind people cruising in the passing lane and they never notice me right behind them. Sat there for 5 miles once ended up passing them in the right lane and they still think they own that lane and don't get over.
You stayed behind them for 5 miles once. And who thinks they own that lane?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #11

Two words...defensive driving

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #12

Driver charged with DWI. Syracuse 11:00 news
Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Here's the whole dashcam video...

IMO, even the salesman was driving poorly...following WAY too closely...even before the idiots start to get crazy. At a couple of points he's about half a second back.

The roads are scary these days.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Idiot driver

Hmm, completely different stories between the news coverage and the actual dash cam video. From the news footage alone, the pickup seems to completely be the innocent victim, who was actively passing a big rig but the Camaro was just too impatient. In the early bit when he blocked the Camaro from cutting in if you pay attention to the shadows on the ground you can even see there was a vehicle in front of the pickup.

Watching the full length video, we can then see the pickup didn't complete his pass and held himself next to the big rig. We can speculate this was on purpose to block the Camaro, but not having a view of the speedometer or knowing the speed limits on that stretch of roadway we're just speculating. Just as possible the big rig is the one who sped up and the pick up didn't want to speed in order to complete his pass. It does happen.

All in all though, they made the right call in saying the Camaro was at fault. Aside from the stupidity of his actions, he was found to be impaired after all.

The only fault to the pickup was if he purposely slowed down just to block the Camaro. It's entirely probable, but it is an unknown. I've known of at least one case where a group of big rigs were actually praised for such a move. A person I know's son was killed by a hit and run drunk driver who was later captured thanks to a few big rigs that collectively blocked it in and forced it to stop.

Now, on the subject of people who just drive in the left lane. At least in Ontario, unfortunately, it's not illegal. I haven't found anything in the Highway Traffic Act against it. I hate people that do it, but without it being against the law there's not much that can done about it. In comparison, my German colleagues once told me that over there it is illegal. Failure to move back to the right once safe to do so or passing on the right is a major penalty (they didn't enlighten on what 'major' actually meant though). Over here, it's become so common place my niece once told me she thought the left was the driving lane and the right was meant for merging and passing.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #15

Here in NY there are signs on the thruway that say keep right except to pass. And I constantly get behind Canadian drivers who never more out of the left lane. Always have to pass them on the right.
Soxfan1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #16

When you watch the entire video, this is so common, I see the start of this all the time. People driving slow in the left lane and taking miles and miles to pass when clearly there is faster traffic behind them. When I am in the act of passing, if a faster vehicle comes up behind, time to speed up and complete my pass. After I am done passing, the vehicle from behind passes me and life is good. I don't leave it in cruise and complete the pass at my leisure. People driving faster than myself is a great thing. Hard to get a ticket when there are others driving much faster on the road.

Although the Camaro is wrong here, had the pickup not played games with the Camaro he wouldn't have a wrecked truck today.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan1957 View Post
Here in NY there are signs on the thruway that say keep right except to pass. And I constantly get behind Canadian drivers who never more out of the left lane. Always have to pass them on the right.
Having to pass anyone on the right is so wrong. Have people lost the ability to drive?
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
...Hard to get a ticket when there are others driving much faster on the road...

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my Dad. We were driving on the highway when another car blew past us.

My dad turned to me and said: "I didn't think those were legal in Canada."

Me: "What's not legal?"

Dad: "Radar detectors"

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
Having to pass anyone on the right is so wrong. Have people lost the ability to drive?
When a person is driving drunk,then they often lose the ability to do anything right. And often innocent people often lose their lives as a result.

Ever notice that often the drunk driver is not killed in an accident he/she causes,but the innocent person (s) often are. Happens frequently here in the DFW area,especially in the early morning hours.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #20
Site Team

I would be interested to know how the insurance companies involved determine this one. Just because the Camaro caused the wreck, and got a ticket....has nothing to do with the final determinations from the insurance company(s) as to fault..or percentages of fault.

The pickup driver could very well be determined to have a lot of the fault assigned to him. These fault determinations also go to how much money is paid (and from whose insurance) towards medical, property and such... and also whether it comes from liability or comprehensive.

I am dealing with State Farm over something similar currently where a driver with no headlights was involved in a wreck with my mother.

http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Who...a-Car-Accident

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/ho...a-car-accident

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote