Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #1

If anyone is in the Chantilly VA Area Traveling

Just a heads up, if anyone is in the area of Chantilly VA around the 19th of April 2012 you could see history in the making. The Space Shuttle Enterprise will be leaving the Air and Space Museum and will be heading to New York. Now tentative on the 19th of April the Space Shuttle Discovery will arrive at the Air and Space museum and will be placed in the Space Hanger were the Enterprise once was on display.

I will post future up dates as they come in and i can take photo's prior as things develop. listen to the news as the time gets closer.
Most of the Artifacts that surround the Space Shuttle Enterprise have been removed so that the Shuttle can be pulled out.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #2

Here Are Some Pic In 2003

In 2003 is when the Space Shuttle arrived at Air and Space Museum and was placed in the Space Hanger. The Enterprise was in storage in a hanger at Dulles Airport until the museum was built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arriving from Dulles to Air and Space museum.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	10065   Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	10066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Entering the Space Hanger.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	10067   Click image for larger version

Name:	On Display.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	10068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside of the Cockpitt.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	10069  

Old 01-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Great pics Wade, thanks for sharing them.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #4

Up Dates

I am sure some member are woundering why on earth I am posting this kind of info here on an RV Forum...Well for two reasons..There is a travel section on this Forum, Places to go, things to see and members can give there input on places they have stayed and even give some kind of rating if you will, this is the first reason, the second reason, there will be history in the making on April 19th at the Air and Space Museum. I have a meeting coming up very soon on this subject as to what is going to happen, I have some info now and would like to share it with every one now, but I will keep it short so that it's not so much to read at one time and this is the second reason for this thread a place to go to while on an RV trip.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
The Space Shuttle Discovery will be leaving Texas flying piggy-back on a 747once it gets to Washington DC it make two passes over Washington DC at a low altitude then head to Dulles International Airport, once it lands the Discovery will be removed from the 747 with 4 large cranes then it will be towed over to the National Air and Space Museum, mean while as I write the Space Shuttle Enterprise is being perpared with special steel framing so it can be mounted on to the same 747 that will be waiting at Dulles, but before the Enterprise is loaded, the Enterprise will be towed out of the space hanger and placed on the runway behine the space hanger at the Museum once the Discovery is towed over to the museum both Enterprise and Discovery will be placed nose to nose on the runway and then the dedcation will begain.

After the dedication is over the Enterprise will be backed up and the Discovery will be placed in the space hanger.
Once the Discovery is in the space hanger then the Enterpise will be tow over to Dulles and placed on the 747 the same way the Discovery was removed, it will fly out of Dulles and head to New York, once it arrives the Enterpise will be placed on a barge and then it will float down the Hudson River to an aircraft carrier, it will be lifted from the barge and placed on the carrier for display until a home is built for the Enterpise.

This event is a once in a life time occurance, this is something your Grandkids will be talking about and I do hope some of you can make this event, this will be on the news. The Smithsonian is exspecting anywhere from 50 to 100,000 people attending, the press and who knows what ever else, I will have more details later and I will share it all with the Forum and for those that can not make it, I will post picture as I get them.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

Thanks Wade for the info. Very interesting. I wish I could make it up there to see all that's taking place.
You might also give some insight to what campgrounds are in the area. That could be a big help to those that can be there.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Thanks Wade for the info. Very interesting. I wish I could make it up there to see all that's taking place.
You might also give some insight to what campgrounds are in the area. That could be a big help to those that can be there.
Hey Gary, How are you doing? I posted a few years ago that there was talk about building an RV park on the site off of Rt 50 but they had other ideas that put that a side for now, the New Restoration Hanger had priority which is now completeand open. The Smithsonian is moving the restoration operations from Suitland Maryland to the Air and Space in VA.
I am sure if any one needs to park their RV somewhere for this event I can check the area or they can go on line and check it out as well, if anyone needs help I will do by best to help. Gary, thanks for thinking ahead.....
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #7

Up Date..........

Next week is the big one.Between 10:05 and 10:30 on April17th the Discovery will fly around Washington DC....At 10:40 the Discovery will return to the airspace near the Hazy Center and fly in front of the museum and then land at Dulles Airport on 1R....I have not heard yet but this may be a live feed as the Discovery lands, I will let you all know, I have a meeting this morning about the Discovery landing.....

By the way this is me and two co-workers in side of the Enterprise when NASA was there getting the shuttle ready to be moved out of the Space Hanger. We are hoping to get into the Discovery once it is in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	space shuttle crew.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	12033  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #8

Pictures of Discovery Arrival

Here are three pic 1st one is from our tower, 170 feet off of the ground at the Hazy center, the 2nd one is the finnal flight over DC before it had return to Dulles Airport and the 3rd is from Lincoln Park.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	From the top of our tower 4-17-12.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	12347   Click image for larger version

Name:	last flight.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	12348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle From Lincoln Park.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	12349  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. That had be awesome watching that in person. Thanks for posting, Wade.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #10

There are more pic coming in from other co-workers, but tomorrow is another big day, the Enterprise will be backed out of the space hanger and the Discovery will move in, both shuttles will come nose to nose on the runway behined the space hanger. I, like my other co-workers have been working 16 hour days preparing for this event for the last two weeks. For those that have an interest I will post some pic from tomorrows event..........I know that this is not RV stuff, but it is history and I just thought that if anyone was planning an RV trip and was passing by this would be great for your kids to see a once in a lifetime event... For more info you can go to.... SI.EDU
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #11

Rockwood06, this is fantastic. You are posting pictures we would not normally see. Thanks so much. Love this kind of thing and if I could, I'd be somewhere I could see in person. Please post more.
choice spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #12

New Pic From This Morning

The Enterprise and the Discovery are nose to nose as of this morning, at 4 o'clock they will be moved, more info later....and I added two bonus pic,

The first one is Neal Armstrog's space suit and the second pic is Cold Storage for all of the other space suits, the storage temp is 59 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shuttles nose to nose.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	12398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Armstrong's Space Suit.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	12403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cold Storage.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	12404  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #13

New Pic

Just a few from Dulles.............
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PIC#5.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	12686   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC#6.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	12687   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC#11.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	12688   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC#15.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	12689   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC#18.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	12690  

Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #14

A Few More...............

One of the pic is the tiles on the bottom of the Discovery, there are over 22,000 tiles and the are numbered and the reason for this is because they are of certain size and shape. On the Discovery there 21,000 tiles still on there from day one, the reason the others other are not there from the first day is not because they feel off, it is because they were remove due to access reasons, NOTE: you can see holes in the middle of the tiles and that is because the tiles are waterproofed evey two flights....Remember Discovery has been in space and back 39 times, the longest flying Shuttle.

In space for 365 days.
Has traveled more then 1.5 millon miles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Discovery Sureface.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	12691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Of The Discovery.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	12692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiles On the Bottom Of The Discovery.jpg
Views:	75