Old 10-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I don't like that at all. No room and a guaranteed mulch fire.
guess i should have clarified all my pads would look like this. that is where she stays in the winter

Old 10-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #42
Mod free 5er

Bottom line, regardless of how & what the campground had, concrete streets, pads, patio's, picnic tables, full hook ups, etc. some folks would bitch and moan about something even if it was only $10/night.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #43

I have paid as little as $10 per night and as much as $125 per night. I'm not so much concerned by the cost but rather by the quality of the offering. To me camping days are precious as there are only so many available in a year. It's a shame to have them wasted in a bad campground especially one where the owners have no concern for your overall enjoyment. I can always make more money to replace the money wasted in a crappy campground, but the time spent there is lost forever.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
I have paid as little as $10 per night and as much as $125 per night. I'm not so much concerned by the cost but rather by the quality of the offering. To me camping days are precious as there are only so many available in a year. It's a shame to have them wasted in a bad campground especially one where the owners have no concern for your overall enjoyment. I can always make more money to replace the money wasted in a crappy campground, but the time spent there is lost forever.
I completely agree. We camp 30-50 nights a year, at all types of campgrounds. From our local state park to resort type campgrounds. I have no problem with the cost, as long as I feel the value is worth what I paid.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #45

My perfect campground would not have the picnic table, which weighs about 500 pounds sitting in the middle of the pad every time I arrive... by myself... and have to somehow wrestle the picnic table out of the way so I can back into the site... by myself. I am capable of backing my TT into a site but definitely appreciate when I can find a campground with pull-thru sites simply because I often camp alone. I agree with many of the other things people have mentioned, such as level, cement sites, power that works on site that isn't 50+ feet from the coach when parked, reliable wifi would be fantastic, vegetation between sites would be super fantastic. But like a couple of other people said, I don't have the luxury of camping year-round so every night I can camp, I make the best of it and treasure the memories. Period. Nuisances are everywhere in life. I really do try to DWI (deal with it) when it comes to campgrounds and have the option of not returning to a campground that does not meet my needs/expectations.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #46

Another example. We're in this campground that provides cable TV. Cool I thought, I can watch Monday Night Football. Haha forget it chump. It's basic cable and no ESPN
Old 10-11-2016, 12:59 AM   #47

If I owned a campground....

Our local campground that we stayed at this past weekend, and over the past several ( 12+ ) years, would be a campground like I would like to have. A very primitive and woodsy nature appeal.

Approx. 50 electrical sites, no water or sewer hook-ups, with an area for dry campers and tents. Primitive bathrooms and accessible water stations spaced accordingly to the layout of the grounds for convenience. Very family oriented with nature trails and a playground for the kiddos. And pet friendly. Fishing on site for those fishing folk.

No Wi-Fi, as people these days tend to have data packages on their phones, just as I have. Television ( cable ) not provided by the campground. If wanted, or needed, would consist of campers personal Satellite Stations or rooftop antennas. I did see 3 Satellite Stations set up in the CG.

Black top or concrete pads with double lot spacing in between campers would be a must. With large fire rings and adjustable grills on each site. And of course all picnic tables would have the extended table ends for those disabled folk.

Now, before anyone would say this would not be suitable for many.... last weekend this CG was at 80% capacity with 5-5ers, 2 class C, 1 tent, 3 Pop-Ups, 2 HTT's, and the remainder were TT's.

A lot of Happy Campers consisting of families, couples, friends, and pets. So I suppose even though all the extra "perks" would be nice, this just goes to show that they are not an essential part to getting people out to enjoy themselves. People adapt to what they have at their disposal wherever they are camping.

This CG is never lacking for campers as it is usually near full every time we camp there. Just a quaint little CG with a good atmosphere.

**BUT, on a side note, I would not want to own, nor be tied down to a CG. I didn't buy my TT not to be able to travel. It would defeat my purpose.

Just my 2 cents!
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:28 AM   #48
Site Team

Interesting thread to read.... you can really see how many different styles of camping every one does. That is the beauty of camping, we all have our own desires and are able to find them and accept each other's differences of perfect camping ideas when shared around the fire.

Currently, I like a campground with a nice playground that will keep a child entertained for more than five minutes. Minimum 30 Amp but prefer 50 Amp. Water within a 50 ft reach. Nice view of either a lake, pond, mountains, beach or woods/trees. An off-leash dog park would be great! No breed or size restrictions, just reasonable expectations for normal dog behavior (ie not aggressive, not excessive barking).

Basically, I want somewhere I can take a deep breath and relax while my 9 yr old plays with other kids her age. I know when she is a teenager my needs/wants will change some and then things will change again when she us grown. My needs are also dependant on length of my stay. We are fortunate to have several such campgrounds within a reasonable driving distance from home (less than 2 hours).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
We are fortunate to have several such campgrounds within a reasonable driving distance from home (less than 2 hours).

Same here. In our Southern Illinois area we have approx. 20 CG's within a 2 hour drive....and depending on what type of adventure, outing, sight-seeing we are opting for, takes us to specific CG's. Nice to have the choices within a reasonable driving distance to change up the scenery.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I would add 3 pm or 4 pm checkout on Sundays to accommodate weekend campers.
X2

When close enough to home and the cost is low enough, we have booked Sunday night as well in order to stay late enough to have a early dinner and roll out before dark...

2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2011 F150 Super Crew 4x4 5.0L - Traded!
2016 F350 Lariat Ultimate Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg