Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #1

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...

So the weather forecast for our trip next week is iffy and yesterday I noticed that our refrigerator wasn't cooling. I switched it from electric to gas and let it go while I was at work last night. When I came home I smelled what seemed like fiberglass resin in the garage, checked the fridge and nothing, temp read 60 degrees, freezer had defrosted and things were thawing out. Called the local Dometic repair facility this morning and they are 99% sure that the cooling unit went out. Takes a week to fix as they don't keep them in stock.

If I loose my vacation time I won't get it back as we are too low staffed so we have to go. Wife says we will do it the old way with coolers and ice.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, big time bummer !!! And this is with a 2 year old fridge ??? Geez.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Well, big time bummer !!! And this is with a 2 year old fridge ??? Geez.
Less than that Chap. I took delivery of the rig in September of '08 Luckily Dometic has a 2 year parts and labor warranty and 3 year for just parts. Will take the rig in when we get back.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 05-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Bummer on the refer but don't let it ruin your trip!!
I can't tell you how many times I've let the weather man talk me
into staying home and I wound up wishing I was OUT THERE!!

Grab the coolers and go!!!
We want a trip report when you get back!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
So the weather forecast for our trip next week is iffy and yesterday I noticed that our refrigerator wasn't cooling. I switched it from electric to gas and let it go while I was at work last night. When I came home I smelled what seemed like fiberglass resin in the garage, checked the fridge and nothing, temp read 60 degrees, freezer had defrosted and things were thawing out. Called the local Dometic repair facility this morning and they are 99% sure that the cooling unit went out. Takes a week to fix as they don't keep them in stock.

If I loose my vacation time I won't get it back as we are too low staffed so we have to go. Wife says we will do it the old way with coolers and ice.
NWJeeper, it's too bad you are so far away from me, I just emptied my dauthers dorm from college, she had a small fridge while she was there I would have let you use it....That's a shame. I know how it fells when things go wrong.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
NWJeeper, it's too bad you are so far away from me, I just emptied my dauthers dorm from college, she had a small fridge while she was there I would have let you use it....That's a shame. I know how it fells when things go wrong.
Thanks Wade. Things are futher complicated by the fact that we had planned to dry camp for the entire 10 day trip save for one night to recharge the batteries fully on the rig and the boat. The small fridge would be an awesome idea if we were staying at a park where we had hookups.

Mother-in-law has a large cooler we are borrowing. I haven't been without a fridge while camping for as long as I can remember. Probably back to my tenting days. It will be a bit of an adjustment but we will make the best of it.

Quote:
KYdan wrote: Grab the coolers and go!!!
We want a trip report when you get back!
Will do Dan, thanks for the encouragement.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #7

that is is the pitts
i have to ask you did check the 12v supply to the fridge and no blown little fuses.
cooling units just don't go out, unless you get a leak, did you smell the ammonia or just hot plastic? when you get it fixed have em show you if then can what went wrong.

do you leave your fridge on all the time?

have a great trip and conserve that ICE
Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
that is is the pitts
i have to ask you did check the 12v supply to the fridge and no blown little fuses.
cooling units just don't go out, unless you get a leak, did you smell the ammonia or just hot plastic? when you get it fixed have em show you if then can what went wrong.

do you leave your fridge on all the time?

have a great trip and conserve that ICE
Yeah we keep the fridge on all the time. Rig is plugged into power in the garage full time. I noticed yesterday that it was getting warmer on electricity so changed to gas, no go. All functions are normal, starts on gas just fine, switches to AC automatically, temperature set is fully adjustable without problems. I even went through the diagnostic mode outlined in the manual which shows codes on the LED display above the fridge if something isn't working right. Troubleshooting section in the manual says if refrigerator fails to cool on either AC or gas to turn off immediately and call a service center.

Wife is picking up the cooler later today from her mom. Luckily there is an RV park just about 1/2 mile from where we will be dry camped that has ice.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. We just got back from bringing my daughter home from college also. Do you have access to any dry ice. Our local utility company hands it out when power is out for days at a time after bad storms. It lasts quite a while and you could place it in the refrigerator and keep it cold. Just a thought. Hope the weather holds out for you. It's still better than work!! At least the repair is under warranty. Have fun, be safe!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem. We just got back from bringing my daughter home from college also. Do you have access to any dry ice. Our local utility company hands it out when power is out for days at a time after bad storms. It lasts quite a while and you could place it in the refrigerator and keep it cold. Just a thought. Hope the weather holds out for you. It's still better than work!! At least the repair is under warranty. Have fun, be safe!
Hey great idea Charlie, I can get dry ice at the local grocery store. Our power companies don't do anything of the sort. Ours just tell you how long it will be out, hope ya have a generator handy....
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 05-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It is really frustrating when RV problems impact your vacation plans. We've had our trips cut short a couple of times with issues. We bought an extended warranty this time ( I know many of you don't ) but have found that is useful. We've used it twice in the first 2 years. RVs are problematic.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #12

Just think, your batteries will last just a bit longer using those coolers, even with the fridge, we use coolers and ice for pop and beer, keeps the kids out of the fridge
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote