Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
Steve Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
using one chock ain't gonna do it.
you need tandem wheel chocks on both sides. this, along with the stabilizers, will take most of the movement out.

be careful about adding jacks. if you have an ultra-lite frame, you could damage the frame.
I use the four chock method and it works well. I use a rubber mallet and when I put the chocks down I give them a couple of whacks to seat them under the tires and it seems to work for me.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #12

X2 on the step supports. The wife calls me moose when I step up into the trailer, causing it to rock big time. Putting the supports under the bottom step makes a huge difference. Great $14 investment.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
using one chock ain't gonna do it.
you need tandem wheel chocks on both sides. this, along with the stabilizers, will take most of the movement out.

be careful about adding jacks. if you have an ultra-lite frame, you could damage the frame.
Additional jacks should only be placed on the suspension framework only, it is the 2x4 tubing framework to which the suspension is actually attached.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Indeed. They should never be placed under the camper frame without some modification to distribute the load, and should not be used to try and lift the camper. Stabilize only with moderate pressure, just as with the rear jacks.

Campers with the rubber torsion axles have a subframe mounted under the "I-beams" of the camper frame, and that is what any extra jacks should be mounted to. Ideally, one would mount them in the center, to distribute the load, and considerable jacking force could be used there, but they would be difficult to access. The second best place would be at the front of the subframe, but much less jacking force would be desirable, as the load would not be as well-distributed.

Anyone with an ultralight frame should take a really good look at it, and that would be enough to convince you to be careful with it.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #15

How do I find out if I have an ultra light frame?