Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

If the camper is rocking...

how do I get it to stop? LOL, when my husband walks in the camper, it rocks. I don't know if it does when I do, doesn't feel like it. He's a big guy. It's level.
KathyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #2

Have you tried the X-Chocks? They hang between your dual tires and greatly decrease the amount of wobble.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Haul View Post
Have you tried the X-Chocks? They hang between your dual tires and greatly decrease the amount of wobble.
and they will improve your social life at the CG
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Bal X Chocks, JT Strongarm type stabilizers front & back and scissor jack in front of the axles will stop 95% of the movement. Also suggest some type of support on the steps.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Chocks betweens the camper's tires like X chocks, stabilizers like JT Strongarms or SteadyFast and a jack stand to the frame near the axles on both sides...pretty much eliminates most movement.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #6

I have just 1 chock on the passenger side. I was looking around on camping world and just saw the x chocks. I thank you for your suggestions. I figured that topic would get some pretty quick responses I need to make a trip to Camping World quick.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #7

I'm really new to camping so I looked up some of the items you mentioned. I have scissor jacks on the back, they came with the Sandpiper. So getting some more for closer to the axle is something we need?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJB View Post
I'm really new to camping so I looked up some of the items you mentioned. I have scissor jacks on the back, they came with the Sandpiper. So getting some more for closer to the axle is something we need?
See of this blog post helps:
http://learntorv.blogspot.com/2013/0...ilization.html
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
Site Team

using one chock ain't gonna do it.
you need tandem wheel chocks on both sides. this, along with the stabilizers, will take most of the movement out.

be careful about adding jacks. if you have an ultra-lite frame, you could damage the frame.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
TeresaInCAL

I just got a step stabilizer from Amazon, for 14 bucks. Amazon.com: Camco 43671 RV Self-Stor Step: Automotive
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
Steve Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you need tandem wheel chocks on both sides. this, along with the stabilizers, will take most of the movement out.

be careful about adding jacks. if you have an ultra-lite frame, you could damage the frame.
I use the four chock method and it works well. I use a rubber mallet and when I put the chocks down I give them a couple of whacks to seat them under the tires and it seems to work for me.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #12

X2 on the step supports. The wife calls me moose when I step up into the trailer, causing it to rock big time. Putting the supports under the bottom step makes a huge difference. Great $14 investment.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Additional jacks should only be placed on the suspension framework only, it is the 2x4 tubing framework to which the suspension is actually attached.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Indeed. They should never be placed under the camper frame without some modification to distribute the load, and should not be used to try and lift the camper. Stabilize only with moderate pressure, just as with the rear jacks.

Campers with the rubber torsion axles have a subframe mounted under the "I-beams" of the camper frame, and that is what any extra jacks should be mounted to. Ideally, one would mount them in the center, to distribute the load, and considerable jacking force could be used there, but they would be difficult to access. The second best place would be at the front of the subframe, but much less jacking force would be desirable, as the load would not be as well-distributed.

Anyone with an ultralight frame should take a really good look at it, and that would be enough to convince you to be careful with it.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #15

How do I find out if I have an ultra light frame?