Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

If you built a TT....

I am bored at work and thinking about camping, and thought what would people consider the perfect TT, if you could combine the best of all brands what would it be? how long it would be, what amenities, etc. What are your thoughts? I know this is very subjective, but give it a shot!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVLINOHIO
I am bored at work and thinking about camping, and thought what would people consider the perfect TT, if you could combine the best of all brands what would it be? how long it would be, what amenities, etc. What are your thoughts? I know this is very subjective, but give it a shot!
I guess I will take a stab at this.
It would have a spot in the storage area to mount fishing poles up out of the way. There would be a swing out attachment from the rear of the 30 ft TT that would be used as a mother in law/kids room complete with toilet and running water and kitchenette. When not used for guest, the area could also be used as a shed/storage area as the beds would fold up out of the way. TT itself must have a second floor loft for sleeping. (Hope I can clear the overpasses?) Oh, one other thing an automatic hookup for sewer setup. Ya know like at the push of a button the sewer hose comes out attaches itself to drain and opens or closes valves with the push of another button.
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

I could spend all day listing stuff. But the one thing at the top of my list is the trailer would not be white!! I hate white for an RV. Almost every single one is white. They are everywhere.

I want one that is light beige or light green. I don't understand why they all have to be white. I've heard the argument about heat gain in the summer, but maybe they should be insulated better. Oh, so that'd be my 2nd wish list item. Top grade insulation, all properly designed and installed. Maybe some ISO board (high "R" value/inch).

Other than that, just deliver me an empty box and I will finish the interior 'cuz only I can do it all correctly...
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

I'll keep my V-Lite, although maybe with the Diamond package that gives it the brownish outside color and all LED lighting. We have not in the 3 years of owning our 30WRLS found anything we like better or want for that we don't have.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #5

Wow, where to start. I would like all the materials in nice neat stacks in my driveway and I would build it myself from the ground up. That way it would be totally to my specifications and quality.
I am very happy with the basic layout of my 19rr trailer but things I would change would be the following.
More counter space (This could have easily been done)
More efficient cupboards and drawers (too much wasted space, poor design on drawers)
Couch/bed needs to be 6" to 8" longer (There is plenty of room to do this)
Heated tanks and better insulation
Biggest awning that will fit on the trailer
Drain piping on grey water tank could have been streamlined
Under trailer spare tire storage
Better vanity/sink in bathroom
Built in inverter and solar system

I looked at alot of trailers before I settled on my 19rr. None of them are perfect but it was closest by far. Very happy with it so far.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #6

My DW and I were just discussing the same subject. We would like something like our Roo 19 but with a queen walk around in front and a hybrid bed in the back for the occasional guest. It would eliminate the problem of the front bunk leaking while pulling in the rain, give us the room we desire and then if my son or brother would show up they would have something better than a dinette or couch to sleep on.
electrician549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #7

I would like to be able to push a button and like a transformer reduce TT to a size smaller than a car... that way the Homeowners Assoc. wouldn't be hinting in the newsletter about deed restrictions and I wouldn't be looking for a cheap/safe storage facility.

On a serious note... would appreciate an entry step wide (deep?) enough to step down on safely!
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
I'll keep my V-Lite, although maybe with the Diamond package that gives it the brownish outside color and all LED lighting. We have not in the 3 years of owning our 30WRLS found anything we like better or want for that we don't have.
same here with our V-Lite 30WRLTS.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
Even though we haven't done much camping I don't think I would change anything about my Lacrosse 318. I think it's the absolute perfect trailer for us.

My only real complaint (and this goes for every trailer I've ever seen) is the matress! I don't understand why there can't be a more comfortable matress in a TT???
weiman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #10

I hope to build one at some point - convert a bus is what I"d like to do and then retire in it.
The only thing that might convince me to buy an RV would be slideouts - I love the space they give and have no clue how to modify a vehicle to accept them, or how to build them in the first place.

As to the comment about white - go to a mall in July on a sunny day in the afternoon and go touch some cars with your bare hand- you can touch white cars. Every other color will burn your hands. And it makes a 20+ degree temp difference inside.

It's also the reason boats (the decks, roofs, etc) are white.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Ditto: Good mattress, choice of exterior color, and organized storage. And maybe put key #751 in retirement.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
I hope to build one at some point - convert a bus is what I"d like to do and then retire in it.
The only thing that might convince me to buy an RV would be slideouts - I love the space they give and have no clue how to modify a vehicle to accept them, or how to build them in the first place.

As to the comment about white - go to a mall in July on a sunny day in the afternoon and go touch some cars with your bare hand- you can touch white cars. Every other color will burn your hands. And it makes a 20+ degree temp difference inside.

It's also the reason boats (the decks, roofs, etc) are white.
True and I do agree. I usually opt for a light color auto because of the heat the color can draw in. But I'm beginning to see more black RVs so why not another light or pale color option.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #13

White's the cheapest color.
White shows 'defects' less than other colors (surface imperfections, scratches, etc).
While white gets as dirty as any other color it won't look as dirty as quickly.
I'd imagine most of the RV materials come white...so less labor than if one had to paint them.
And less to warranty.
Perhaps white is easier to sell?

Now big fancy motorhomes come in colors and the graphics on them are often painted, not decals.

But if you had, say, a 28' camo trailer would people blindly be walking into it cause they couldn't see it? OH, the liability! LOL

It probably exists but we don't have it - storage that is 'outside' the living environment. Sealed so to speak, so that odors (or critters on firewood, etc) won't have access, or easy access, to the living area.

Our trailer is low end so there is a long long list of things i'd like to add...and if full timing they'd be there.

I think a trailer that could 'kneel' - as in when you go to park and level it could lower it's self closer to the ground. No need for 3 steps up , just one!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #14

Weiman,

Suggest look at a memory foam (eg. tempur pedic) 3" mattress topper. They are available on the net in various sizes to fit most any size needed. We have one on both our bed at home and added to TT... they REALLY make a big difference in comfort...
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker
Weiman,

Suggest look at a memory foam (eg. tempur pedic) 3" mattress topper. They are available on the net in various sizes to fit most any size needed. We have one on both our bed at home and added to TT... they REALLY make a big difference in comfort...
Is there a specific website and brand that you would recommend?
weiman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
White's the cheapest color.
White shows 'defects' less than other colors (surface imperfections, scratches, etc).
While white gets as dirty as any other color it won't look as dirty as quickly.
I'd imagine most of the RV materials come white...so less labor than if one had to paint them.
And less to warranty.
Perhaps white is easier to sell?

Now big fancy motorhomes come in colors and the graphics on them are often painted, not decals.

But if you had, say, a 28' camo trailer would people blindly be walking into it cause they couldn't see it? OH, the liability! LOL

It probably exists but we don't have it - storage that is 'outside' the living environment. Sealed so to speak, so that odors (or critters on firewood, etc) won't have access, or easy access, to the living area.

Our trailer is low end so there is a long long list of things i'd like to add...and if full timing they'd be there.

I think a trailer that could 'kneel' - as in when you go to park and level it could lower it's self closer to the ground. No need for 3 steps up , just one!
Agree about the color white & for the price point I will take white but it's so old school....

I will get off my soapbox now.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
DDC

[QUOTE][I am bored at work and thinking about camping, and thought what would people consider the perfect TT, if you could combine the best of all brands what would it be? how long it would be, what amenities, etc. What are your thoughts? I know this is very subjective, but give it a shot!]

You must have a management position,real workers don't get to use employment time to do this. (HHAHaHa) just kidding couldn't resist.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #18

I forgot a couple things. Larger fresh water, black and grey tanks!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #19

All the screws used outside should be stainless steel. Better quality control and dealers that are part of the RV company and not just a place that sells type A or B RV's. The manufactures could set up a network much like the auto industry. Then you would not have to worry about your local dealer servicing your trailer if you did not purchase it from them.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #20
Drinkin beer on the beach

How about a nicer selection of fabric patterns. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with mine, but maybe something that my grandma wouldn't pic as her favorite... Something a little... more hip?

A full size toilet.

Tile or Stainless steel backsplash in kitchen.

Secure storage area for firearms.

I kind of like the cozy feel to my smaller trailer, but I think a living room slideout with full size reclining couches with footrests.

MOAR insulation.

How about ditching the cooktop for an outside grill. Maybe something like a camp stove that could sit on the counter for use inside, or can sit on a little rack outside and be used there.

A whole house vacuum.

Stripper pole.

A table that doesn't wobble as much.

Access to the tiedowns in the floor, even if the carpet kit is installed.

Max-air vents standard.

Sturdy steps. REALLY sturdy steps.

Or should I think bigger? 36" TVs.

Panoramic moon/sun roof so you could really sleep under the stars, with no bugs or cold air.

Clearly marked reinforced areas behind the paneling for TVs, TP holder, picture frames
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote