Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

Sorry, I was referring to the pdf... You may pass jail.... This time!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Same thing I posted already

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Sorry about that... missed your link the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
True, I was not even respecting safety at that time. At the time I was using blinders to reach my goal of a hunting RV. I was in that twilight of weight. Have grown some since.

I wasn't saying you did anything wrong. I was just trying to let the OP know about the IL DL's.

Hope you didn't take offense.

325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I wasn't saying you did anything wrong. I was just trying to let the OP know about the IL DL's.

Hope you didn't take offense.

No offence taken, That was me at that time, some time ago, and I probably saw what I wanted to see in the laws. Since you are also local to Southern Illinois, perhaps we may meet in a campground.

Safe travels.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #25
Wanderluster

I know this is an old post, but nevertheless, it was helpful for me to understand the Illinois laws that govern driver's licenses. I'm new to Illinois and just bought a new RV with a GVWR of 33,000lbs.

I read the laws myself, and it's clear (if you read carefully) that any Illinois licensed driver of an RV with a GVWR of over 16,000lbs needs to have a special Non-CDL drivers license in Class C, B, or A, depending on the GVWR of your motorhome, and the weight of whatever you are towing (trailer or vehicle). If you don't have an Illinois license, none of this applies. Illinois has the most ridiculous and restrictive law when it comes to this.

So, I downloaded the Illinois Non-CDL guide, and studied it before heading over to the local SoS/DMV facility. I get to the facility, and wait in line at the initial information desk/gatekeeper person. When I get to the front, I tell her that, "I already have a regular Class D (passenger vehicle) driver's license, but I'd now like to get a "Non-CDL Class B driver's license" so I can legally drive my motorhome, which weighs 33,000lbs." Immediately, she says, "You're in the wrong place. You need to go to the XXXXX facility for a CDL license, and you need to make an appointment there." I spent several minutes explaining that I was in the right place, and that I needed to get a "Non-CDL" license. She finally said, "Whatever..." and gave me my letter/number ticket so I can stand in line and wait to be called. As I stood there, I had a feeling this wasn't going to go well.

After about 10 minutes, they called my number. She was a stern-looking older woman who looked like she'd been working at the DMV for many decades. I explained to her exactly what I needed. After taking a minute of silence and contemplation, she reached under the counter to look at the same Illinois "Non-CDL" book that I had been studying, and declared to me, "You don't need a Class B license. You're okay to drive on your Class D license, because it says right here that RV drivers are exempt." So, I took a deep breath and said, "Yes, it's true that RV drivers are exempt from needing a CDL license. But on the next page, it says that RV drivers need a special Non-CDL license based on the weight of their truck or motorhome." So, we spent the next few minutes arguing back and forth about this. She kept insisting that I was wasting my time trying to get a CDL, while I kept insisting that I was NOT trying to get a CDL. Finally, she asked me whether I thought I knew the Illinois law better than she did. I hesitatingly said, "Well...I wish you were right, and I was wrong...because I really do not want to do this, but I'm here because the way I read the law, I need this special license to legally drive my RV." So, she takes a deep breath and huffs away as she says, "Wait here."

I stand there for about 10 minutes while she consults with her supervisor. Finally, another woman (her supervisor) comes back with her, and asks me again what it is I want. I explained the Illinois law to her too regarding the Non-CDL weight based requirements. The supervisor also comes to the conclusion that I'm wrong, and I don't need any special license to drive the RV, because RV drivers are exempt. So, at this point, I'm getting pretty frustrated, but doing my best to keep calm. The supervisor says, "Look, no one has ever come in here and asked for a Non-CDL Class B license, and I've never heard of one." So, I said, "Is there a facility manager or someone like that I can speak to?"

So, I wait at the counter again. By now, other customers around me are staring at me because I'm the one making a scene by arguing with the DMV ladies about something I'm obviously clueless about. After another 5-10 minutes, another lady (the facility manager) comes back with the first lady and the supervisor. I was asked to explain again for the 4th time why I'm here today. After I recounted my rationale again for the manager, she immediately turns around, grabs a book from a shelf behind her, and puts it on the counter in front of me. She says, "Here, study this, take a course, and make an appointment at the XXXXX facility." It was the Illinois CDL handbook. And then she walked away! So I yelled out, "Wait, please. Can you just look at this, and tell me if I'm wrong?" I showed all 3 of them the page in the Non-CDL guide, describing the four different classes of Non-CDL licenses, all based on the weights of the vehicles and any towed trailer/vehicles. All three of them stood there and looked at each other for a few moments. Finally, all three of them walked away as they said, "Wait here."

After about another 10-15 minutes, the first lady finally returned, and said, "Okay, confirm your home address, height, weight, etc..." and she began to process my application for a Non-CDL Class B driver's license. She did not even acknowledge that we spent the last 30 minutes arguing about whether or not I needed a new license. Finally, I had to ask, "So, what happened?" She quietly said, "We called someone in Springfield, and they said you're right." (Springfield is the capital of Illiinois, and where the Secretary of State Office sits).

So, within a few more minutes, I paid my $5 fee, and took the written test on the computer, which I passed on the first try. I walked out of there with my permit, so I could return with my motorhome to take the road test. Oh, I can't wait.... By the way, I'm supposed to return for the road test with another already licensed Non-CDL Class A or Class B license holder. Really? So, if the three ladies at the DMV have never even heard of a Non-CDL Class A or B license, how the heck am I supposed to find a person who has one???
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #26
Site Team

I'm with the people at the DMV. No RV'r in Illinois ever gets this license.

I would think the fact that it says RVs used for personal use are exempt would over-ride the requirement.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #27

***groan***

It sounds as if you're fighting to do the right thing, so just a thought - you said:

" By the way, I'm supposed to return for the road test with another already licensed Non-CDL Class A or Class B license holder. "

Since you appear to be better versed in the law than those who should know, take another look. Can a full CDL holder accompany you to the road test instead of a non-CDL holder?

You have the patience of a Saint!
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
I know this is an old post, but nevertheless, it was helpful for me to understand the Illinois laws that govern driver's licenses. I'm new to Illinois and just bought a new RV with a GVWR of 33,000lbs.

I read the laws myself, and it's clear (if you read carefully) that any Illinois licensed driver of an RV with a GVWR of over 16,000lbs needs to have a special Non-CDL drivers license in Class C, B, or A, depending on the GVWR of your motorhome, and the weight of whatever you are towing (trailer or vehicle). If you don't have an Illinois license, none of this applies. Illinois has the most ridiculous and restrictive law when it comes to this.

So, I downloaded the Illinois Non-CDL guide, and studied it before heading over to the local SoS/DMV facility. I get to the facility, and wait in line at the initial information desk/gatekeeper person. When I get to the front, I tell her that, "I already have a regular Class D (passenger vehicle) driver's license, but I'd now like to get a "Non-CDL Class B driver's license" so I can legally drive my motorhome, which weighs 33,000lbs." Immediately, she says, "You're in the wrong place. You need to go to the XXXXX facility for a CDL license, and you need to make an appointment there." I spent several minutes explaining that I was in the right place, and that I needed to get a "Non-CDL" license. She finally said, "Whatever..." and gave me my letter/number ticket so I can stand in line and wait to be called. As I stood there, I had a feeling this wasn't going to go well.

After about 10 minutes, they called my number. She was a stern-looking older woman who looked like she'd been working at the DMV for many decades. I explained to her exactly what I needed. After taking a minute of silence and contemplation, she reached under the counter to look at the same Illinois "Non-CDL" book that I had been studying, and declared to me, "You don't need a Class B license. You're okay to drive on your Class D license, because it says right here that RV drivers are exempt." So, I took a deep breath and said, "Yes, it's true that RV drivers are exempt from needing a CDL license. But on the next page, it says that RV drivers need a special Non-CDL license based on the weight of their truck or motorhome." So, we spent the next few minutes arguing back and forth about this. She kept insisting that I was wasting my time trying to get a CDL, while I kept insisting that I was NOT trying to get a CDL. Finally, she asked me whether I thought I knew the Illinois law better than she did. I hesitatingly said, "Well...I wish you were right, and I was wrong...because I really do not want to do this, but I'm here because the way I read the law, I need this special license to legally drive my RV." So, she takes a deep breath and huffs away as she says, "Wait here."

I stand there for about 10 minutes while she consults with her supervisor. Finally, another woman (her supervisor) comes back with her, and asks me again what it is I want. I explained the Illinois law to her too regarding the Non-CDL weight based requirements. The supervisor also comes to the conclusion that I'm wrong, and I don't need any special license to drive the RV, because RV drivers are exempt. So, at this point, I'm getting pretty frustrated, but doing my best to keep calm. The supervisor says, "Look, no one has ever come in here and asked for a Non-CDL Class B license, and I've never heard of one." So, I said, "Is there a facility manager or someone like that I can speak to?"

So, I wait at the counter again. By now, other customers around me are staring at me because I'm the one making a scene by arguing with the DMV ladies about something I'm obviously clueless about. After another 5-10 minutes, another lady (the facility manager) comes back with the first lady and the supervisor. I was asked to explain again for the 4th time why I'm here today. After I recounted my rationale again for the manager, she immediately turns around, grabs a book from a shelf behind her, and puts it on the counter in front of me. She says, "Here, study this, take a course, and make an appointment at the XXXXX facility." It was the Illinois CDL handbook. And then she walked away! So I yelled out, "Wait, please. Can you just look at this, and tell me if I'm wrong?" I showed all 3 of them the page in the Non-CDL guide, describing the four different classes of Non-CDL licenses, all based on the weights of the vehicles and any towed trailer/vehicles. All three of them stood there and looked at each other for a few moments. Finally, all three of them walked away as they said, "Wait here."

After about another 10-15 minutes, the first lady finally returned, and said, "Okay, confirm your home address, height, weight, etc..." and she began to process my application for a Non-CDL Class B driver's license. She did not even acknowledge that we spent the last 30 minutes arguing about whether or not I needed a new license. Finally, I had to ask, "So, what happened?" She quietly said, "We called someone in Springfield, and they said you're right." (Springfield is the capital of Illiinois, and where the Secretary of State Office sits).

So, within a few more minutes, I paid my $5 fee, and took the written test on the computer, which I passed on the first try. I walked out of there with my permit, so I could return with my motorhome to take the road test. Oh, I can't wait.... By the way, I'm supposed to return for the road test with another already licensed Non-CDL Class A or Class B license holder. Really? So, if the three ladies at the DMV have never even heard of a Non-CDL Class A or B license, how the heck am I supposed to find a person who has one???
I had a similar experience at one of the testing centers in Houston. Although the first supervisor knew what I was talking about. I drove my motorhome to the road exam. They never asked how I got there or if I had a permitted driver with me. I think they were just glad I was doing the right thing.

None of my friends have bothered to get a Class B exempt.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #29

Thank you for sharing your Illinois licensing story. This may help someone else in the future (perhaps me). It is so frustrating when the SoS employees don’t know the rules, and of course, the common citizen is always considered to be wrong.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #30
Wanderluster

BehindBars, thanks. That's why I posted this story, so that other RV owners/drivers in Illinois truly understand the law. First of all, the reason I persisted in this endeavor is because I spent my entire adult life as a law enforcement officer. It was my job to first understand the law, and then to enforce it properly. Just because the State of Illinois employees at the DMV, and even many police officers in Illinois don't fully understand the law, that doesn't relieve me, the citizen, of complying with the law. Believe me, I don't want to ever do what is not necessary to do, especially when it comes to bureaucratic red tape like this, but I don't want to ever find myself being ticketed, arrested, or have my insurance claim denied because I'm not legally driving my RV in the State of Illinois. Does anyone believe that a police officer who knows the law will actually accept my excuse that some lady at the DMV told me I didn't need to do this?
Old 02-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #31

I would love to know the number of those kind of licenses they have actually issued. Maybe someone in Springfield has the numbers.
My bet is it is one of those ridiculous requirements that very few know about and nobody enforces. NM has a lot of them that they are just now starting to remove from the books.
Might be worth the time to communicate with your legislators. Or keep going through this frustrating process to be legal that apparently isn't widely known or enforced.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
BehindBars, thanks. That's why I posted this story, so that other RV owners/drivers in Illinois truly understand the law. First of all, the reason I persisted in this endeavor is because I spent my entire adult life as a law enforcement officer. It was my job to first understand the law, and then to enforce it properly. Just because the State of Illinois employees at the DMV, and even many police officers in Illinois don't fully understand the law, that doesn't relieve me, the citizen, of complying with the law. Believe me, I don't want to ever do what is not necessary to do, especially when it comes to bureaucratic red tape like this, but I don't want to ever find myself being ticketed, arrested, or have my insurance claim denied because I'm not legally driving my RV in the State of Illinois. Does anyone believe that a police officer who knows the law will actually accept my excuse that some lady at the DMV told me I didn't need to do this?
I don't know why you just didn't walk. You may be the only one in the entire state that now has the license for your RV classification.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #33
Wanderluster

Bubbles, yeah, I seriously thought about just walking out, after getting the names of the DMV ladies who would have led me astray. Believe me, I was frustrated and exasperated enough to give in.

However, as a law enforcement officer, I lost count of the number of times I caught someone for violating a law who said, "I didn't know...or I didn't understand...the law." It's a defense that has never worked. If I believed that driving my motorhome illegally (without the proper license) had no consequences at all, then I would have walked out. But, I also realized that if I ever did get pulled over, got into an accident, or some other incident involving the police or an insurance investigator, I would be on shaky ground...hoping that they were just as clueless as the DMV ladies.

Under Illinois law, 625 ILCS 5/6-101, you may face a maximum penalty of 180 days in jail and a $1,500.00 fine for driving without a valid license if the offense is charged as a Class B misdemeanor. Class A misdemeanors carry a maximum 12 months jail sentence and $2,500.00 fine.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a PITA stickler for some arcane law that no one seems to know or care about. I just wanted others in Illinois to be fully aware of the situation, rather than going with the "ignorance is bliss" philosophy.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #34
Happy Keystone Owner

I wouldn’t take my road test at a non commercial facility.
A commercial facility will already have a route plan that will accommodate a large vehicle.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:36 PM   #35
Wanderluster

Well, I completed my Illinois Non-CDL Class B road test earlier this week. Other than debating with various DMV employees whether I was doing the right thing, or in the right place, or wasting my time...it was pretty easy, overall. No one at this DMV (Elgin) had ever heard of anyone getting a Non-CDL Class B to drive an RV.

Anyway, it all worked out, and I took a road test in my 35 foot Dynaquest (GVWR 33,000). The DMV examiner was a nice lady who had never been inside a motorhome before, and was absolutely amazed. She kept asking so many questions about the RV, and all I wanted to do was to get the test done.

In any event, the road test only took less than 10 minutes - after a lights/safety check, we drove down the street, made 2 right turns, reversed in a parking lot, then a 3 point turn into and out of a driveway, then return.

Now I am a legally licensed Non-CDL Class B motorhome driver....but, I may be the only one in Illinois!