Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Talking I'm BACK! Missed you all!

AS some of you may know we were camp hosting the month of November at CGNHP. Had a good time, can't wait to do it again. Weather got sorta cool, I think it got down in the mid teens several times before we left to come home. WHICH by the way wasn't till DECEMBER 10! WHY so long? Well DUMMIE me fell while out at the dump station on Nov. 27 while helping a camper and broke my darn leg! IT really is funny. Only I could do a DUMMIE move like that. Good thing is that well we were not going to be doing any camping in the dead of winter anyhow. So looks like by March I should be healed and the weather should break by then. Missed you all!

FYI - Using two ceramic heaters camping in the Roo with both ends open did just fine! I'd do it again. Maybe not down in the single digits, but mid teens and it did just great!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Team

just for the newer hybrid owners, did you use PUGs or Reflectix to help retain heat in the bunk ends?
it's always good for new owners to get real-world feedback on cold weather solutions.

i use solar blankets and Reflectix.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #3

Good to hear from you again. Sorry to hear about your leg and hope it isn't giving you too much trouble.
Now you're like the rest of us, fighting cabin fever while plotting and planning for next spring!

back!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #4

We used PUGS on both ends. Worked GREAT. Maybe not as warm as a full hard shell camper but, we managed just fine. And I'm not a big fan of cold weather. Normally when it turns cold I go into hibernation.

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 12-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #5

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
Well DUMMIE me fell while out at the dump station
Well that is sh!tty!! That would really pee me off!! LOL!! OOPs I should keep this CLEAN!!

Seriously though sorry to hear about your leg.

How was the condensation? How was the canvas when you went to pack it all up. Dealer told me that the lowest temp for the canvas would be 2 deg C / 35F

We would like to do some winter camping but wonder about the canvas and such.

My parents do it (at my brothers place) but the have a hard shell and they just use heating blankets and have a warm house to go into for everything else.

Take care of the leg. You'll have lots of time to plan the trips come march!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Team

FYI, Skeeter is NOT a dummie!!
I was at that park in early November.
The dump station has an island in between the 2 lanes.
In the middle of the island there had been a post or garbage
can station.
Park maintenance removed the post for some reason but
left 3 or 4 anchor bolts sticking up out of the concrete.
These bolts were about 3-4 inches long.
I saw them and warning bells went off in my head.
I spent 37 years in a major manufacturing plant in maintenance.
We were positively DRILLED about any type trip hazard.
If a machine was moved and there was anything sticking up out
of the floor we had to immediately cut it off.
We saw mandatory OHSA training video about this very thing.

I didn't want to butt in so I dumped our tanks and we said goodbye
to Skeeter.

How I wish I'd made them get an orange cone for these bolts!
She tripped over them and fell off the island
and broke her leg!

Sorry Skeeter. This one wasn't your fault!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #7

That's why they call them accidents! I would have been upset to put it politely! I work in an industrial setting and I always point out things like that to my daughter for very reasons. Drill it into her head about safety first. The whole point is to keep on living! I was just kidding around by the way.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #8

Ah the way I look at it is like this... Stuff happens! Boy did I clean that up! hehehe

I knew those bolts were there, I had tripped on them before. BUT didn't go all the way down. I'll heal. Everything is being paid for by the park, so I'm happy there. LOL I have to look at it this way, I got an extra 10 days camping out of it! Ok, so maybe it isn't so funny, but it beats getting ticked off or crying about it.

The up side to this is that I get to sit back and watch hubby "do laundry, dishes, cook, etc!" OH that is worth a mint! AND he has admitted that he knows now just how much work I do when we go camping. OR come home. He had never packed stuff up and pulled home before. I've always done it and most times by myself!

There is an ORANGE cone there now marking where the bolts are. Bolts still there or they were last week. Was down there today but didn't go by to see if they had been cut yet or something put there.

Baldy - DH did say something about seeing some dampness when he put his end up. I couldn't tell you how much or anything. I wasn't back there helping. I do think I prefer camping in a lot warmer weather. BUT now I do know for a fact that we can do it in the Roo.

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #9

It's good to hear you're making lemon aid! Thanks for the feed back. We've talked about winter/colder camping but we're just not sure about the canvas part. I really prefer the warmer weather also! Looking at all the snow that we have right now makes me think about how nice the summers can be!