Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

Question I'm getting knowhere and going nuts!

Perhaps someone on this forum has some experience to help me out....

In a nutshell the wife is Canadian I am British we live in Portugal but own property in BC Canada. Our idea was to fly Portugal to Toronto, buy a 2007/8 2500 diesel truck drive to Buffalo USA collect FR Sig UL Fiver and then head to Southern states for the winter returning to BC in the Spring where we would import the RV to BC. BC insurers say they can only insure and register the truck and RV if the vehicles are physically in BC. Ontario insurers say they cannot insure or register either vehicle because we do not have an Ontario address. So we are stuck, Any ideas? I can probably get temporary registration and insurance for the truck with the purpose of getting the truck to BC but can we detour to the USA to pick up the rv? Or is there a better way to suit our plans?

I have been on all sorts of Gov't websites but they do not answer our specific problem

Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #2

Nigels, welcome to the forum.

Although I cannot help with the question I have to say I love your plan. Sounds great!

There are a lot of Canadians here who can probably help and I am sure they will be along shortly. Good luck on your plans.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Will Ontario allow a Box number for an address? If so, you can simply rent a post box. We have done this in the USA in order to have an address there. I will also pass your question onto my husband. He is a car dealer and we often import cars between countries and need special insurance. Maybe he will have an idea.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Your best bet may be to fly into NYC and then Buffalo and buy the truck and the 5er here and license it in whatever state or province you will make as your "residence" and then there should be no issues. A lot of full timers use South Dakota as an option, but the cheapest for you may be to check out using a Florida address which could be accomplished by renting an RV lot in Florida and having them forward your mail. There is a glitch in Florida sales tax law that would allow you to purchase the RV here in NY and not pay sales tax in NY but license it in Florida and not pay tax on it in Florida by having it out of the state of Florida for a period of time. I'm not sure the exact length of time but I have seen it posted elsewhere that the tax can be avoided by going this route.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9gw View Post
Hey anyone out there have a 21 roo.
Please post your questions in the appropriate sections and not on others questions. There is a Roo section to this forum....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Please post your questions in the appropriate sections and not on others questions. There is a Roo section to this forum....

Post moved to Roo section.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post

sorry im new here pardon the error of my ways
K9gw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywendolyn View Post
Will Ontario allow a Box number for an address? If so, you can simply rent a post box. We have done this in the USA in order to have an address there. I will also pass your question onto my husband. He is a car dealer and we often import cars between countries and need special insurance. Maybe he will have an idea.
Thank you ladywendolyn, I look forward to hearing what your husband has to say.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #9

Thanks wnytaxman, sounds good, but complicated, if there is anyone who can expand on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks guys, there is hope at least!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #10

I think that you are going about this back-asswards ! Unless there is a real good reason, why don't you skip Toronto all together. You have a valid BC address, so my advice would be: Fly Portugal to Vancouver (probably very little difference in air fare, especially with a seat sale), find your truck and hop accross the border to Washington where there are a ton of RV dealers. Then import the RV to BC legally so that you can register and insure it --- then head out on your U.S. trip.
...Alternatively, you can fly Portugal to Seattle, find both a truck (much cheaper than in B.C.) and RV, import them both into B.C. then do your trip.
... If you absolutely must visit Toronto you could probably hit it during or on the way back from your trip.

But you've probably already thought of all of this yourself, haven't you ?? LOL

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
I think that you are going about this back-asswards ! Unless there is a real good reason, why don't you skip Toronto all together. You have a valid BC address, so my advice would be: Fly Portugal to Vancouver (probably very little difference in air fare, especially with a seat sale), find your truck and hop accross the border to Washington where there are a ton of RV dealers. Then import the RV to BC legally so that you can register and insure it --- then head out on your U.S. trip.
...Alternatively, you can fly Portugal to Seattle, find both a truck (much cheaper than in B.C.) and RV, import them both into B.C. then do your trip.
... If you absolutely must visit Toronto you could probably hit it during or on the way back from your trip.

But you've probably already thought of all of this yourself, haven't you ?? LOL

...VTX-AL
Yup, cant find a good deal on a new Rockwood signature ultra light 8280ws in this part of North America........unless youy know some one?