Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 545
Congratulations. Nothing about the towing that I can add. Take your time and enjoy it.
__________________

__________________
04 Ram 3500
07 Ram 3500 X2
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
blwnsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
Pulling with a 2014 2500 HD Duramax.

I'm going to upgrade the hitch as the factory one is only good for 1,500 lbs of tongue weight. The advertised tongue weight of the trailer is 1,173, and I want to use an Equalizer hitch. Will the 1,400 lb Equalizer be enough for this trailer? The max weight seems ok, but the tongue weight could be close.
Just wanted to throw this out there.. with a 2500, have you looked at your GVWR and what is left for your truck to carry? I can't see GM putting on a 1,500lb capacity hitch if your truck can handle more.. they'd put on the minimum amount required to get you the max weight the truck is rated for.

Just hate to see you order something and then find out you are overweight.

IF you haven't, look at how much you truck weighs and look at what your GVWR is to see how much available weight you have left.

Just ran into this with a member on the Powerstroke forum where he bought a 41ft 5th wheel that has a 2,800b pin for his F250... now he realizes he is almost 1,300lbs overweight for his GVWR
__________________

__________________
2015 F350 6.7 Platinum
2015 Coachmen 360IBL
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Just wanted to throw this out there.. with a 2500, have you looked at your GVWR and what is left for your truck to carry? I can't see GM putting on a 1,500lb capacity hitch if your truck can handle more.. they'd put on the minimum amount required to get you the max weight the truck is rated for.

Just hate to see you order something and then find out you are overweight.

IF you haven't, look at how much you truck weighs and look at what your GVWR is to see how much available weight you have left.

Just ran into this with a member on the Powerstroke forum where he bought a 41ft 5th wheel that has a 2,800b pin for his F250... now he realizes he is almost 1,300lbs overweight for his GVWR
Yes I've run the numbers so many times my head spins. lol That is why I chose a TT over a 5th wheel. Obviously I need to get the trailer and hit the scales before I know exactly where I'm at, but with the factory numbers and my estimates of what I will be using it for, I should be safe and smooth.
__________________
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 24
Hello Polishdon,
Congratulations! Don't trust the brochure weights and don't trust the sales guy! Drive over a scale with and without the trailer, empty and loaded and get each time each individual axle weight, then do the math! Make sure your trailer is absolutely horizontal when loaded and hitched, so the weight is equal on both axles. You only have 15" tires so they are ST and have absolutely no reserve capacity and are only good for max. 65 miles per hour for some time. What are you loading in the back, bicycles, dirt bikes or havier? Do you have a short or a long bed truck? The longer the wheelbase, the better! Watch out for cross winds, after all you pull a 37' wall behind you! I don't know what you have now, but your next truck will be a diesel dually with a long bed. Happy camping, Andy
__________________
CamperAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperAndy View Post
Hello Polishdon,
Congratulations! Don't trust the brochure weights and don't trust the sales guy! Drive over a scale with and without the trailer, empty and loaded and get each time each individual axle weight, then do the math! Make sure your trailer is absolutely horizontal when loaded and hitched, so the weight is equal on both axles. You only have 15" tires so they are ST and have absolutely no reserve capacity and are only good for max. 65 miles per hour for some time. What are you loading in the back, bicycles, dirt bikes or havier? Do you have a short or a long bed truck? The longer the wheelbase, the better! Watch out for cross winds, after all you pull a 37' wall behind you! I don't know what you have now, but your next truck will be a diesel dually with a long bed. Happy camping, Andy
Most of the time it will be me, my wife and daughter and our kayaks, mountain bikes, etc... Other times I will be using it for competition BBQ so we'll have our smokers and gear back there.

I have a Duramax 2500 HD with a 6.5 foot bed.

I'll definitely be hitting the scales when I pick up the trailer just to make sure everything is legal and the WD is set up correctly.
__________________
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 24
Hello Polishdon,
Thanks for the clarification. At least you have some weight up front. A dually gives you a wider stance and way more stability. Be aware of the weight distribution in the trailer, especially when you have your smoker in the back! I had one of these too and they are not exactly made out of thin sheet metal! Check out where the freshwater tank is, maybe filling that one might help you or makes it totally worse. You simply have to be aware of your situation, especially in crosswind situations, or you might have to use more road than there is there. Happy camping, Andy
__________________
CamperAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Mk
__________________
rv1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
I'm about to order what will be our first RV, a 2017 Wolf Pack 25pack12. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Obviously the financial commitment is always nerve wracking, but thinking about towing a 37 foot trailer 6.5 hours for the first trip is a little crazy too. I've been towing trailers for years, but nothing this big.

Any advice for a newbie, both on towing, picking up our new unit and using it our first time?
Did you buy this TT 6.5 hours from where you live ???
Or did I misunderstand ???
__________________
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Did you buy this TT 6.5 hours from where you live ???
Or did I misunderstand ???
It's actually 8 hours away. There aren't many dealers within 5 hours of me that carry this model and Lake Shore RV in Michigan gave me a great price so I got it through them.
__________________
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
It's actually 8 hours away. There aren't many dealers within 5 hours of me that carry this model and Lake Shore RV in Michigan gave me a great price so I got it through them.
I sure hope you do not have to return it to many times for warrantee work !!! Enjoy & Good Luck !!!
__________________

__________________
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.