Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

In Reality, What Can I Do?

First, I am humbly asking we all keep this thread civil. I don't care if you think I'm right or wrong. I just need some honest guidance on what recourse I have, if any. For that, I thank you in advance.

My FR extended warranty expired March 2, 2018. I purchased the warranty right after I bought the camper for $250 and still have all my paperwork. In late January, 2018, I took the camper in to a local chain dealership who said they'd be happy to handle a small list of items that needed to be repaired before my warranty expired. My selling dealer is four hours away. One such item was our Whirlpool residential refrigerator was not working properly for the second time. It could get no cooler than 45 degrees in the fridge and 33 degrees in the freezer.

As with the first repair of the fridge, FR told the dealer to have me call Whirlpool's RV division to find a certified repair company to come and repair the fridge. I got the camper from the dealership on March 13 and immediately called the company that Whirlpool recommended. They came, diagnosed, ordered a new evaporator, and returned in April to repair the fridge. I paid them the $592 and submitted the bill to FR's warranty dept. by email and also told the dealership.

After a couple of weeks with no response, I called FR and spoke with the warranty rep. She told me we had to deal with Whirlpool on this claim because its their warranty. I told her this was on my two year warranty but she said deal with them anyway. Once again, it was a "it's their refrigerator, it's their problem".

In the meanwhile, the dealership was having their own issues. The lady in the service dept. I had been dealing with resigned. So at least now I am dealing with the service manager. He and I discuss my issue and he says he'll handle it with Whirlpool.

I get an email today from the service manager stating Whirlpool said, "appliance only has a one year warranty and without the date of purchase they cannot confirm if there is any warranty on the refrigerator."

I emailed him back about my opinion on how FR should be paying this anyway and I sent him a copy of my extended warranty from FR. It specifically states under the list of covered items and "refrigerator" is listed. I asked if he would contact FR directly about this and it appears he will.

Now my question after all this: What if FR just says, "No"? I think this is a pretty obvious case considering the warranty does list refrigerators are covered and FR also told me to call Whirlpool to start with. But what if they just say they're not going to cover it? If I sued them in small claims court, would I have to do it in Indiana or here in NC? Sure, I can vow to never deal with them again on future purchases and $592 is not going to put me into bankruptcy. But the principal of the matter is I paid for this warranty and I should be reimbursed.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #2

I’ll throw out my 2 cents worth since nobody else had as of yet. Like you I may be right or wrong, just my opinion
You are right. If your coverage includes the refrig as you say it does. What I would do is send a certified return receipt letter to FR claims dept. address should be on warranty documents. Briefly describe you situation and ask for reimbursement. Provide copy of invoice.
Send a copy of the let withcovef to the attorney general of the state the Ltr is addressed to. Indicate in you ltr to FR that you have sent a copy to the IG. I would also send a copy of your warranty document to the IG.
If you don’t get good response from FR contact the IG and have them look into it. Also contact the better business bureau of the state you purchased in along with the state FR. Is. Again the state where you sent the ltr.
Good luck.
gumbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

Trailer Life magazine has a section where they assist rv owners with problems just like this. They almost always get the issue resolved in the owner's favor. As a note, I rarely see FR mentioned. It's usually other brands where the owners cannot resolve the issue with the manufacturer.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

As I never went with the extended warranty, are you sure the extended warranty isn't handled by a third party and should have been submitted to them? Also doesn't the warranty company need to be notified before work is done? It should tell you where to send invoices for reimbursement in the warranty papers.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
As I never went with the extended warranty, are you sure the extended warranty isn't handled by a third party and should have been submitted to them? Also doesn't the warranty company need to be notified before work is done? It should tell you where to send invoices for reimbursement in the warranty papers.
The two-year extended warranty is with FR. There are multiple threads about them discontinuing it lately.

Most dealers have no clue how to repair a residential refrigerator. So FR does what is called a "non-dealer reimbursement". That's what I did in this case. FR knew about it but now wants Whirlpool to pay for it.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

Forest River replaced my electric Dometic awning in the last month of my extended warranty with no problem. Pretty much everything on an RV is made by somebody other than Forest River, so I don’t understand why they would tell you to go to Whirlpool. They didn’t tell me to go to Dometic. Somebody at Forest River is giving you the runaround.

Bruce
Old 06-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would contact FR directly. Forget the dealer and there excuses. 2 year warranty is exactly that. Paging Frog Bob, maybe he can assist getting in contact with the right person to assist. This is a vendor supplied item but FR carries the warranty.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I would contact FR directly. Forget the dealer and there excuses. 2 year warranty is exactly that. Paging Frog Bob, maybe he can assist getting in contact with the right person to assist. This is a vendor supplied item but FR carries the warranty.
I have. The dealer is trying to intervene on my behalf because "Ashley" at the FR Warranty Dept. wants Whirlpool to pay for this. I can't blame Whirlpool. FR gets my $250 for the extended warranty and then they want Whirlpool to pay for a claim.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #9

Cedar Creek just paid for replacing my rear cap in April of this year, my Cedar Creek was made in 2014. I only have a 12 month warranty on the camper. I couldn't ask for better service from Cedar Creek. If I should ever buy another camper it will be a Cedar Creek
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
I have. The dealer is trying to intervene on my behalf because "Ashley" at the FR Warranty Dept. wants Whirlpool to pay for this. I can't blame Whirlpool. FR gets my $250 for the extended warranty and then they want Whirlpool to pay for a claim.

Have you tried contacting Ashley at the warranty department yourself. Don't depend on your dealer. My dealer is Camping World.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Have you tried contacting Ashley at the warranty department yourself. Don't depend on your dealer. My dealer is Camping World.
In original post.
Quote:
After a couple of weeks with no response, I called FR and spoke with the warranty rep. She told me we had to deal with Whirlpool on this claim because its their warranty. I told her this was on my two year warranty but she said deal with them anyway. Once again, it was a "it's their refrigerator, it's their problem".
Old 06-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #12

I would call her back and tell her that Whirlpool only had a year warranty on the refrigerator and I was sold a two year warranty from Forest River. The most that can happen is you will be stuck with the bill. That's what I would do but I wouldn't let the dealer handle it. I have never paid for the repair and then send Forest River the bill and let them pay me. But wait until the service manager gets back to you. Cedar Creek has always treated me great
Old 06-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
Multi-Slacker

Perhaps you just need to get past Ashley?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Perhaps you just need to get past Ashley?
That's most likely the next step.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
Trailer Life magazine has a section where they assist rv owners with problems just like this. They almost always get the issue resolved in the owner's favor. As a note, I rarely see FR mentioned. It's usually other brands where the owners cannot resolve the issue with the manufacturer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyc View Post
I’ll throw out my 2 cents worth since nobody else had as of yet. Like you I may be right or wrong, just my opinion
You are right. If your coverage includes the refrig as you say it does. What I would do is send a certified return receipt letter to FR claims dept. address should be on warranty documents. Briefly describe you situation and ask for reimbursement. Provide copy of invoice.
Send a copy of the let withcovef to the attorney general of the state the Ltr is addressed to. Indicate in you ltr to FR that you have sent a copy to the IG. I would also send a copy of your warranty document to the IG.
If you don’t get good response from FR contact the IG and have them look into it. Also contact the better business bureau of the state you purchased in along with the state FR. Is. Again the state where you sent the ltr.
Good luck.
These two responses are your best chance of getting the issue resolved in your favor.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #16
jkoenig24

FR, the dealer, and Whirlpool are all hoping you'll get frustrated, worn down and walk away. Find out which Small Claims Court you need to file in and then, pay the small filing fee and get papers served. Businesses HATE Small Claims Court. Once they realize you're NOT going away, the three parties will figure it out and reimburse you. Keep this all in mind when you shop for your next RV.

PS: Do any local TV stations have consumer advocates? Many stations do and, if your case is accepted, the bad publicity is often enough to nudge the offenders into doing the right thing.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
FR, the dealer, and Whirlpool are all hoping you'll get frustrated, worn down and walk away. Find out which Small Claims Court you need to file in and then, pay the small filing fee and get papers served. Businesses HATE Small Claims Court. Once they realize you're NOT going away, the three parties will figure it out and reimburse you. Keep this all in mind when you shop for your next RV.

PS: Do any local TV stations have consumer advocates? Many stations do and, if your case is accepted, the bad publicity is often enough to nudge the offenders into doing the right thing.

In local business that might work but in large corporations I just don’t see it working, I mean you have taken a large corporation to court yourself. Tell a large corporation like Whirlpool or Forest River that you are taking them to court is not the way to go, they will stop talking to you.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #18

Quote:
That's most likely the next step.

Are you going to the rally at Goshen this year? Will you be in the Goshen area anytime soon? If so take a trip by the factory or find a Whirlpool distribution center. I would find some numbers of the factory that made you camper and start calling them, the two year warranty should cover your refrigerator. You have got proof that you paid the second year warranty. I would email them a copy.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #19

You really shouldn’t have to go through all of this. All you should have to do is present your signed extended warranty certificate to the dealer and the dealer should handle any of the hassles involved with Forest River. They won’t deal with whirlpool — only Forest River — and the problem should be taken care of. That’s how it worked for me.

Bruce
Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Sometimes, instead of filing a claim in Small Claims Court, get the filing papers from the court house. It's a triple copy form and I would fill it out. Before filing it, sent a copy to FR with a note that you will be filling it in two weeks if you receive no response from them. It may get action before it becomes a legal issue.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote