Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Inclement dangerous weather

The recent news of tornado's in the midwest got me thinking about safe places when one is out travelling about North America (i.e.we live at the north end of tornado alley) At home we would just hide out in a corner of our basement! What would a person do at a campground? I don't know of any campgrounds here in Canada with shelters! Any idea's?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Always Learning

Off the cuff (and being from an area where this isn't a major concern) - if I ended up in that situation, I'd likely end up in the bathhouse huddled in a corner away from doors/windows.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

The campground we go to in Indiana has restrooms that are shelters. We used them once as such on night when we were informed of a tornado warning. Nothing happened so we went back to our tent and went to bed. Later that night a small tornado passed withing a quarter mile of us. Lots of minor damage but no one hurt. We rode it out in our tents. Quite a ride.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Most STATE cg's in Iowa design there shower house's for severe weather use.

That's what was told anyway.

Carry on!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

We are camped at Lake Dardanelle in Arkansas right now. The system that hit Oklahoma city came through last night. We stayed in our 5th wheel, but we stored everything and had a plan set up to go to the shelter at the visitor center here at the park. We had some heavy winds and rain, but did fine. There was a tornado watch posted , but we watched the news and watched the radar and emergancy continually. Not something I would do in some places, but it worked out fine for us this time. We will always have aplan.

Kerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #6

Just a reminder that everyone should have a weather radio to alert them especially in the middle of the night. Most campgrounds we've stayed in try and come around to alert you but you don't know if you're the first camper or last camper to be notified.
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
daydreaming about camping

First thing we bought when we bought our first trailer, a weather radio. Not kidding. Got caught by a bad storm when I was kid on Kentucky lake. It was not a good situation.

Easter weekend we were at Branson State Park in Missouri when a couple storms rolled through. They had wi-fi so we had the tablet out with NWS and NOAA apps going, real time radar. Storms were close, but staying several miles away. Our plan was to giut if it got near. Trailers can be replaced.

Park ranger came around and told everyone where the storm shelters were (specific designated bath house). Glad all we saw was some wind and a little rain.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms View Post
Just a reminder that everyone should have a weather radio to alert them especially in the middle of the night. Most campgrounds we've stayed in try and come around to alert you but you don't know if you're the first camper or last camper to be notified.
Yes! And we use our smartphones too. We watch the radar and monitor alerts. There are some great apps for that.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

I've read in the past that if there is no appropriate shelter available, to seek out a roadside ditch and lay flat in it. May not be one available within a campground, though.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
I've read in the past that if there is no appropriate shelter available, to seek out a roadside ditch and lay flat in it. May not be one available within a campground, though.
We have heard pros and cons about the ditch. Also heard it is not good to take shelter under overhead bridges for several reasons including that people parked under them can impede the flow of emergency vehicles trying to response to emergencies down the highway.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #11

Underpasses are a very bad idea in a tornado. They act as a funnel and amplify the wind. X2 on the smart phone. I have mine set to alert me in the event of bad weather.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Underpasses are a very bad idea in a tornado. They act as a funnel and amplify the wind. X2 on the smart phone. I have mine set to alert me in the event of bad weather.
Yes, the wind speed will be amplified by the structure.

I also have an app on my phone and highly recommend the weather radio.

Stay safe!

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms View Post
X2
Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The ditch is just to avoid laterally flying debris (it's the stuff in the air that kills ya). Anything that's dropped will squish in a ditch just as easily as in a field. And if you're in a ditch, you also have to watch out for water levels.

Avoiding bridges is basically just an extension of the "Avoid anything that can crush you".

That being said, though I'm living at the other edge of the end of Tornado Alley, since we're in the Great Lakes region, we don't usually have to concern ourselves too much. The lakes provide enough water to the funnels to make them too heavy to continue for too long in this area.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #15

OP It appears that the parks service do have plans in place if sufficient warning time exists: An article from last year regarding St.Malo Campers Seek Shelter In Weekend Storm - Local News - SteinbachOnline.com

Tracey Kuzenko is District Supervisor for Steinbach with Manitoba Conservation. She says 167 campers ended up going to a nearby church after tornado warnings circulated around the park. Kuzenko says park staff get their information from Environment Canada. "We check it regularly," she says. It started as a Severe Thunderstorm Watch on Saturday, notes Kuzenko. It was then upgraded to a Tornado Watch and then Tornado Warning. "At the point of a Tornado Watch we'll notify campers in St.Malo that that is something that has been identified through Environment Canada for their information in case they don't have access or haven't checked the weather or anything like that," notes Kuzenko. Once it becomes a Tornado Warning, she says they have access to the local Roman Catholic Church in St.Malo. "We advised people that if they're interested in taking that option they can go to the Roman Catholic Church basement and one of our staff is there to sign them in when they come in."
another resource regarding severe weather http://www.gov.mb.ca/asset_library/e...hure_parks.pdf

I believe most provincial camp grounds in Manitoba have designated shelters - just ask at the gate when checking in
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Anacortesians

I'm sure glad that all we have to worry about is the occasional earthquake or erupting volcano and the dreary, soggy winter months of "800 broken, 1200 overcast, quarter mile visibility, rain and fog" to quote our frequent airport weather reports!

In the 45 years we've lived here there have been two volcanic eruptions (Mount St. Helens both times) and five minor quakes (< 5 Richter). All of them were far enough away to be a case of "What was that?".
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
William

This occured yesterday in South Louisiana. It was reported to be a small twister which overturned at least 2 RVs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake End RV Park.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	31161  
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Most STATE cg's in Iowa design there shower house's for severe weather use.

That's what was told anyway.

Carry on!

Turbs
You better not go stating any tornados next month when we head down that way Ron.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote