Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #1

Info needed for first trip

Headed out on our first "major" trip in a couple of weeks, meaning a long one. Prior to this we have stayed at daughters acreage with power hookup for a few nights. We enjoyed that immensely and we are looking forward to this trip. The trip is from Orlando to Huntsville Alabama. We want to stop off near Tallahassee then Montgomery for a 1 night stay each. Looking at possible sites online they give a max length and I don't know if they mean TT length or TT & TV length? Our TT is 32' and TV is 20' so I don't know if this is going to limit us.

We are looking for recommendations for RV Parks fairly close to these two areas, Tallahassee and Montgomery. Major want is not parking 10 feet away from the next RV and a little privacy. One that is looking pretty good is Three Rivers State Park near Tallahassee. Thanks
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #2

I've had no issues just giving the length of the TT. ONE CAUTION, if they call your unit a 28' it's probably well over 30' hitch to bumper.
GuppyWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Generally campsite length will cover your tt not your tv. I have always measured my tt to get an accurate bumper to ball/hitch pin length. I then will add an extra 2 feet or so to account for campgrounds that put 30' tt in a site that is 30' long.

Overnight stays, I usually wing them. Usually somewhere around lunch or afternoon break we figure out where we think we will be for a nighttime stop. We then use our next exit book to find a campground. Many will use apps like allstays to find campgrounds. For overnight stays, I don't care too much as long as it is safe and not an electric risk. I use online reviews like campgroundreviews.com to check them out. The navigator at the time will then call ahead to see if they have room. If possible we stay hooked up for the night for an easy depart in the morning (just unplug the pigtail for the night). Many CG will have long pull throughs or back ins so you can get away with this. If not able due to site length, then we unhook and maybe go fuel the truck up. The overnights are about eating dinner, letting DD and our dog get done energy out, and getting some rest. Anything above that is icing on the cake.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #4
Insert witty title here

We just finished a trip from Boston, MA to Orlando with a 36' TT. Our trip took 2 days each way and we overnighted at Walmart and had no issues. It even gave us a chance to buy a few things we forgot.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #5

Thumbs up

we are making a trip on hwy 10 real soon and plan on going through there in the end on our way to NC. we went last year via hwy 40, we were worried about it our first time too, and then got some advise her and just winged it , looked ahead on KOA and good sam and called for a reservation just before we got there, worked out fine, the only problem we had is when we stopped in Memphis for some stuff from the store, on our way out not much on the other side, but found a little place run by a little older couple a few miles out, turned out fine in the end
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to ALLVOL
Pelham, AL

There is a Campground called Birmingham South, that is actually in Pelham, AL. It is very nice and clean.
ALLVOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #7

add 3ft. for your town hitch so tell them 35ft. and you be safe. &#128512))))))
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

opps thats tow hitch
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #9

There's a nice campground on the water not far from Tallahassee which we stayed at while visiting the area. Go to Holiday Campground Ochlockonee Bay, FL for details. I don't recall exactly how far from Tallahassee it is, but I don't believe it was farther than 30 minutes.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #10

My wife and I stayed at Coe Landing RV Campground near Tallahassee last year for a couple of nights. It is a small quiet campground. Our 5W is 39'. If you have time check out the phenomenal Tallahassee Auto Museum. It has much more than cars.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #11

We use the following apps while on the road and while at home planning:
RV PARKY
RV PARKS
PUBLIC CAMPS
ALL STAYS - not a free app
We prefer state and regional parks, but use commercial parks when needed for an overnight stop.

RV PARK REVIEW is good on the computer. I do not think they have an app.
Enjoy your trip.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #12

We have stayed at Montgomery South RV Park several times and its pretty decent. I'm from Huntsville. Let me know if I can help with info about it.

BTW Montgomery South RV Park is in Hope Hull, AL
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote