Old 06-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Initial Cruise.........trip report

First real camping trip with the new 5'er. Comments on the unit and some things that might help some other folks as 'newbie' as I am.

Other than the one issue with hot water (see separate threads), love the trailer. Honestly, never imagined I'd own something this luxurious. Just very nice. Roomy, comfortable, all great.

Camped at Lake Greenwood State Park in Ninety-Six, SC. It was to get semi-close to 2 of my kids, and we picked up a 7 y/o grandson on the way.

Water pressure low, so almost no hot water. Sucks. That's about the only negative.

Two a/c's kept us cool enough even when temp was a billion and humidity way higher than that.

Res. Refrig is a jewel. Icemaker. ICEMAKER! While camping! Wowzers.

I messed up when I pulled in......I did not think about leveling side to side first. (see above......DW+ 7 y/0). I had wood blocks and should have put under passenger side tire first. I didn't, and the auto leveler worked! But it put the passenger tires in the air. Not good. So I manually lowered the back, then the left, etc.......till it was level and tires were touching. I don't think I got them down enough to truly support much weight, and it bothered me all week. But I guess it was ok. The passenger side front landing jack squeaks when retracting.......hopefully it just needs lubed a bit. Lego leveling blocks on order! I will level side to side first. But it is nice when the LCI tells you stuff like "-1.9" side to side" so you know what to do manually if you need to.

Ate like big pigs. If you don't have a Rec Tec Smoker, go get one. Don't listen to Turbs. He pushes some Green Mt. thing. I guess it's ok for the 'little people', but this Rec Tec is the Cat's Pajamas. We ate ribs and pulled pork and chicken.......better than most restaurants.

However, the 18X24 griddle I got to put on homemade double burner fish cooker didn't work. The griddle did, but had to turn flame up too high for it to work. Bottom line, the two aren't made for each other and I need to find something this griddle fits on better, or a whole new unit. Thinking of the 2 burner Camp Chef stove, but might have a cooker here that'll work. I have to cook outside.......cooking inside, not for me. Tried it. Stove top worked, but oven kept going out. Have an electric toaster oven for biscuits, etc, so don't need it really.

Shower (when you get hot water) is nice, good spray. I realize it's cheap fixtures......plastic painted chrome. Speaking of which, the kitchen faucet leaks at the on/off handle. I doubt I fool with warranty because these all need replaced anyway. Other than leaking it did nice. Shower DOES have a 'screw pop' in the one piece fiberglass!!! I put that on list for Bob and resent it to him this morning. I hope he gets my list. Last email from him said "no list" but I had attached one. Hope they get it cause I have stuff needing done.

Convection microwave is uber neat........and huge.

Storage out the wazoo. Which DW filled up.........making us pushing weight limit! But if you need it, we got it, in one of those many cabinets!

Not crazy about the Lazy Boy recliners. They are ok. MUST find some kind of table to go between them to set drinks, etc. on. Only thing I can figure is one of those made to bolt into floor of boat. No real room between the two recliners. Not bad enough to want to replace but there are more comfortable recliners out there.

Couldn't get TV to work, spent hours with DirecTV on phone. I now believe the issue is that I have an LNB5 and if I would get an LNB3 the setup I got from TV4RV.COM will work fine. TV itself, via OTA signal, works fine and looks good. Need to find a better way to secure tripod to the ground. Have that modification figured out, I think.

Towing........without the air bags, it was a bumpy mess. Have no idea why I wavered on getting air bags, they are absolutely required. I pumped up to 90 sometimes, but they truly made a huge difference on the ride. But I am now a Charter Member of the Weight Police, because I can't imagine pulling this 16K thing with anything less than my dually. If you want to, go ahead. No sense in arguing, but man..........that's one big old thingy behind me!

Brakes, per laser heat gun, were never more than 135, and usually less. Came up/down Chattanooga.....no issues. Made me nervous but in the end it was a piece of cake. Transmission temp never got over 175 except when stopped for 30 minutes at the Pilot to get in line to weigh, then a bit higher but never too bad. Water temp stuck at 210, never wavered. Got about 10.5 to 11.8 mpg, depending on the hilly terrain I was in.

Dang thing gets dirty. Got to find a big old long wand to wash it off with.

Bed is literally, very literally, the best bed I ever slept in. Period. Those that slept on couch bed said it was ok. I'll never know, I pay the monthly payments so I get the King Bed! LOL

Basement holds way too much stuff. And it's packed tight. Found out I do not need every tool I own, nor every electric cord. WILL minimize more.

Rhino sewer hose that's 2 months old has pin holes. Have a thread going asking which Valterra is better one to get. Rhino won't fit in the Sani Tube without screwing on the 'head' every time, a messy hard task. I want the hose that has fixed fittings. And one that's more sturdy. Need to find a place to bolt the Sani Tube under trailer, haven't done that yet.

Did fix the Furrion Observation Camera.........just takes two people to pair it when it comes 'unpaired'. It doesn't point far enough back when driving, for me.........can't see cars coming up on you till they are 5 feet from back bumper. Well no bumper, but back part of trailer! I will see if it adjusts. It's ok but not much real help.

Backing into my driveway is a CHORE! Wiggle, wiggle, finally.

That's all I can remember. Can't wait to go again.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Initial Cruise.........trip report

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I messed up when I pulled in......I did not think about leveling side to side first. (see above......DW+ 7 y/0). I had wood blocks and should have put under passenger side tire first. I didn't, and the auto leveler worked! But it put the passenger tires in the air. Not good. So I manually lowered the back, then the left, etc.......till it was level and tires were touching. I don't think I got them down enough to truly support much weight, and it bothered me all week. But I guess it was ok. The passenger side front landing jack squeaks when retracting.......hopefully it just needs lubed a bit. Lego leveling blocks on order! I will level side to side first. But it is nice when the LCI tells you stuff like "-1.9" side to side" so you know what to do manually if you need to.

You are planning to level before you auto level? I just unhitch and hit the button. Sometimes a tire or two may be off the ground, sometimes not. I didn't realize this was an issue.

Good trip report!

For the griddle, look into the Blackstone table top unit. I bought one off of amazon for less than $100 and it works fine. Not quite as good as the bigger one at home, but it gets the job done.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 06-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

If it is not an issue, I don't know why it wouldn't be. Most hydraulic systems are not made to hold the entire weight of the trailer alone............at least I can't imagine that they are. What it somehow raised all 4 tires off the ground? Can't be good. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I assume (and should have known) to level as best as you can eyeball it, side to side, first..........

Will look into that Blackstone. I have another homemade 2 burner cooker that might work.....around here somewhere...........lol. If not, I need to find something this heavy, nice griddle will fit correctly on top of.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

By the way, that cooker.......and the Q2200.......are 12,000 btu burners. I need more than that......many times I'm deep frying fish. 30,000 btu burners most likely.

FROG AR-0019-242