Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #21

Daisy B. has it... "Like a high maintenance woman." Hehe.

Joe R has a great list. Worth going over to see what we might be missing.

We just bought our first TT end of last summer. Yes, we spent a bunch of $$ outfitting the TT with the usual kinda stuff like new bedsheets, plates & cups, inside and outside door mats, etc., etc. Can't see how you'd spend $3K etiher though, unless you got carried away.

We have bought a LOT of stuff on the internet. DW is an accountant and life is only about money. So I have to shop wisely! You have to be careful about typical places like Camping World, Amazon and ebay. Sometimes they have the best pricing and sometimes they are out to lunch. We bought a TV for the TT from Costco as they had the lowest price including shipping.

Having said the above, what I got carried away with is mods. & upgrades to the interior over the winter. This is where we spent lotsa money. It seems like when they build RVs, they don't think much about efficiency and liveability and just the bottom dollar. I made and installed 8 sliding drawers to improve storage and access. Made lighting changes and added switches for each light. Installed vinyl laminate flooring. Made hinged covers for the dinette bench seats. Added a curtain track around the bed. Removed 5 useless fixed and some removeable access panels on cabinets and added hinged doors (had a shop make up the doors to match). Added 5" water filters (in series) under dinette bench for the kitchen water. There's more and I could go on. Still want to do some more things like surge protector, shock absorbers and QUIET bathroom fan, but it's almost camping season and I have to draw the line somewhere. Since I only had to pay for materials and I've done all the work myself, I think we've spent under $1 for all of this stuff.

I was thinking the other day, I've easily got 200 hours into working on the TT this past winter. Maybe closer to 300 (I retired early and have the time). If we paid a shop to do all the work, I think we would have paid more than the purchase price of the trailer....
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #22

Yeah all the lists have similar items we started buying...and wow it does add up fast. I thought I went overboard spending $500 (not incl Equalizer/Prodigy). Our main focuse was good chairs, a bug tent, a small table, exterior/interior lighting, outdoor rug, safety equip/tools, medic gear, unbreakable dishes, toiletries, linens/pillows/towels, food prep utensils, and most importantly Toilet Paper.

As it's been said I think everyone's needs/wants will be slightly different for the type of camping they enjoy, but the basics are gonna be the same. And I'm sure the more we camp the more things we'll need/want to buy....ughh

...and JoeR, holy cow man
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #23

One source I used was Sportsman's Warehouse. They actually have quite a good selection of camping gear, to include RV related gear. I've been in their buyers club for years and the savings adds up. I've bought a lot of tent camping gear from them over the years.

We got the rug set, outside lights, the pop up food covers, chocks, hoses, poop pipes, and other junk like that from SW for the RV. Their prices usually beat camping world, even with shipping. And we have a camping world just on the other side of Denver.

Yeah, I know it was a long list, but I trolled the forums for months looking at stuff people said was needed. Everything I ran across, I copied into a word file. And the list there was only three pages of the six in the file.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
Site Team

$3k sounds like high until you start adding it all up especially the bigger price items like a TV, mattress & pad, stab. jacks, electric tongue jack, surge protector, Fantastic Fan, etc...

Add in the misc. stuff and there could be a surprise there too. Dishes, pots & pans, bedding, chairs, patio table, sewer hose, fresh water hose, patio mat, awning lights (currently $100), coffee maker, 2 sets of leveling blocks, oversized safety handle, inside handle, fan, heater, plastic storage bins, battery disconnect switch, etc... Don't forget the cost of a upgraded battery or second battery, a generator or solar panels for some people.

I didn't try to get everything all at once. I started off with borrowing some items from the house temporary due to budget reasons. I asked my service department was they recommended I needed to get right away and what could wait. I took the advice and upgraded the sewer hose, fresh water hose, and installed a battery disconnect switch.

It's easy for me to get caught up in trying to buy everything possible. I have an agreement with my service department team to help keep me on the right track because I don't want to invest more into my trailer than it is worth. My trailer was about $10k plus electric tongue jack, stab. jacks, hitch, HD bars, anti-sway bar and trailer brake.

I'm still on the fence about a generator because I don't think I could get my investment back based on my present style of camping.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier
$3k sounds like high until you start adding it all up especially the bigger price items like a TV, mattress & pad, stab. jacks, electric tongue jack, surge protector, Fantastic Fan, etc...

Add in the misc. stuff and there could be a surprise there too. Dishes, pots & pans, bedding, chairs, patio table, sewer hose, fresh water hose, patio mat, awning lights (currently $100), coffee maker, 2 sets of leveling blocks, oversized safety handle, inside handle, fan, heater, plastic storage bins, battery disconnect switch, etc... Don't forget the cost of a upgraded battery or second battery, a generator or solar panels for some people.

I didn't try to get everything all at once. I started off with borrowing some items from the house temporary due to budget reasons. I asked my service department was they recommended I needed to get right away and what could wait. I took the advice and upgraded the sewer hose, fresh water hose, and installed a battery disconnect switch.

It's easy for me to get caught up in trying to buy everything possible. I have an agreement with my service department team to help keep me on the right track because I don't want to invest more into my trailer than it is worth. My trailer was about $10k plus electric tongue jack, stab. jacks, hitch, HD bars, anti-sway bar and trailer brake.

I'm still on the fence about a generator because I don't think I could get my investment back based on my present style of camping.
I assumed the $3K was AFTER the price of the TT which includes the stab jacks, tongue jack, mattress, TV, etc. Our awning lights are antique fruit lights we bought at an estate sale for $2.50!! We used everything from our 20+ years of tent camping. Even with the price of all that stuff, I don't think we came close to $3K. Depends on what your think is "essential." Everyone has different ideas of what they really cannot live without. Solar panels, generator, and 2nd battery definitely go in the "luxury" column. I'm guessing you could outfit a new TT for less than $500 if you stick to necessities only.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Gear List

Here is the list I was referring to on initial impact costs, I had to purchase these items in order to tow, use and be safe while camping.

Safety Gear
QTY Description
1 Hensley Arrow Hitch
1 Hitch Cover
4 18" Safety Cone - Orange
4 Tow Mirrors with convex mirrors
2 BAL X-Tended X-Chock Extended Fit Tire Wheel Chock
4 Roadblock RC815 Rubber Wheel Chock
1 Trailer cover
1 Hopkins Graduated Level
1 12" 30Amp to 110V Adapter with Handle"

Water Gear
QTY Description
1 Camco Premium 25' 5/8" ID Drinking Water Hose
1 Watts Water Pressure # 263A w/gauge
1 Exterior Water Filter Canister
2 2 ft White hose, brass fittings
1 F1Pb cartridge, 10" Water Filter
1 Viper 15' Sewer Hose Kit
1 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support
1 Valterra Drip Cap Set
1 45° Clearview Adapter with 3" Bay Lug"
1 Winterize RV Blow Out Plug

TT Upgrade Gear
QTY Description
3 MaxxAir II Smoke roof Vent Cover
1 FanMate

TT Acquire Gear List
QTY Description
16 LED replacement lights
1 30amp RV Hardwire Complete Protection
4 Combi-Cam Cam Locks for RV
1 Bathroom counter extension add on
1 Soft Touch RV Assist Entry Handle
1 White Assist Handle Lend A Hand
2 Tyre Gards (Covers)
2 2 x 8 = 5' long
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
Site Team

16 LED replacement lights

Did you upgrade to LED lights?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #28

Hi Terier, Not yet, that last group of items are on the to be acquired list.

I have 16 internal lights that I would like to swap out for LED, but I'll wait till next month to get those. They run so hot and it will only be a matter of time before the kids burn their finger or leave to many on draining the battery.

I'm also looking at getting some of those all weather switch covers to protect the slide out switches. My hope with those would be one less switch for the kids to see and corrosion protection from the elements.
Semper Fi
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #29

easy to overload

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think people should just buy as needed otherwise your camper will be so full of crap youll never use . EVER
unless
while we are out in our new to us rig
and someTHING needed comes to mind
that is a must to have
that would go on the want list
I agree with the statement above
easy to overload
MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I'm guessing you could outfit a new TT for less than $500 if you stick to necessities only.
yes
we are way way under that amount
MM
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #30

Yep, that's why I usually pack for the trip I'm taking. I have lots of camping related crap. It's in storage boxes in the garage. Moves in and out of the camper as needed. We started this with the last camper. It didn't have a lot of extra storage space. No need to haul around the little electric heaters in the summer time, but they do come in handy the rest of the year.

And the little red and black binder stays in the camper for those inspirations of what we needed or will need in the future.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #31

I agree with you MM and JoeR on not over packing or buying crap you don't need. I would imagine most folks have the same stuff as I do on the above list with maybe the exception of the water filter and pressure guage. I would say most of the gear from the list is small, required but pricey. All of it will pack into two small boxes with the exception of the TT cover which will remain at home while camping.

Plates cups coffee maker and clothing is the stuff I am somewhat curious on how we'll do there. But we will certainly be packing for the trip and not hoarding gear so as to have everything in the TT all the time, that would be dangerous with unnecessary weight and clutter. I'm a neat freak and like to be organized and very anxious to get this train a rollin.. We're suppossed to be in the upper 50's this week, these are some exciting times!
Semper Fi
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #32

get this train a rollin.. -- I know that feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post

very anxious to get this train a rollin..
We're suppossed to be in the upper 50's this week,
these are some exciting times!
hey Joey0
if and when you all head out this way
southern Ca
give a shout
lower mountains of San Diego County
our favorite place to camp -- Borrego Springs

Mountainman Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #33
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Sid -- love your discription "high maintenance woman that you spend all your time with."

Lets face it.. there are soooo many neat little accessories that we all WANT for our campers. That's why there are manufactures are making this stuff.

They know we are suckers! Keeping up with the Jones'!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWindrider View Post
What you are asking is almost impossible, in my opinion. I do understand what you want. The big problem is, no two people camping do the same thing. Some go boondocking, no water, power, or sewer. Some won't go unless they have full hook-ups. Some have to have television, DVD's, stereo surround, etc. Some go to campgrounds with games for the children, and a swimming pool, others avoid them.

I can say this, you will need a water supply, available, or haul it with you. You will need a sewer hose, to eventually dump your tanks, campground or some other dump station. Power cord if the campground has power. If no power, easy on the lights, as a battery won't last long, maybe one night with furnace. Food, and toilet paper.

Of course dishes and pots to cook and eat, maybe clean clothes, towels for a shower, but really depends on what you plan to do while camping, if anything, children, and keeping them busy, pets, if any, and how you want to spend your time.

I am sorry this doesn't help much, but as has been suggested many time, spend a week-end in the driveway. Lock the house when you head for the camper, and don't go back in. Make a list of what you need over the week-end, and have fun.
WOW....Ladywindrider. "spend a week-end in the driveway. Lock the house when you head for the camper, and don't go back in. Make a list of what you need over the week-end, and have fun." Great advice.
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #35

Jim and I should be picking up our new RV in Cleburn, Tx. We live in New Caney about 100+ miles. This will be our 4th in 4 yrs. We keep upgrading.

We have all of the necessary items to go camping but I suggested to Jim we needed to camp overnight in an RV Park or State Park close to the dealership to make sure everything works. We live too far away for something to go wrong and have to return to get it fixed. There is a dealership that sales FR close to us but I read bad reviews. Makes me leery using them.

When we do the walk through at the dealership we will be so excited and not really paying any attention. (Don't ask me how I know.) We may have the AC on for 10 -15 min, Ok it works. Water faucets, OK they work. Slide out works. Drawers pull in and out easy. But when we actually go camping AC will be on for awhile may crap out in 45 - 60 minutes. This is where the true test begins.

All have FUN and Camp safe...........

Marigold <><
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkford1953 View Post
WOW....Ladywindrider. "spend a week-end in the driveway. Lock the house when you head for the camper, and don't go back in. Make a list of what you need over the week-end, and have fun." Great advice.
It was great advice for sure! I wish I had thought of this when I took delivery of my TT. By the time I took my maiden voyage it was almost 2 months later and I was nervous.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #37

All the lists are great, but a lot of the items came standard on our TT. The dealer also included a start up kit that had the sewer hose and connector, toilet chemicals, plastic golves, water hose, water regulator. We took a lot of stuff from our house and used it in the TT. We already had the hitch so we didn't need to add many necessary items. Just added extra items we wanted. I made the step pads using indoor/outdoor carpet. If you have to make a lot of mods to your rig, you probably should have looked a little longer to find one that had the things you wanted. But, I guess that's the fun of RVing.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #38
Time to Live

LOL.... By the end of my first year, my 5th wheel was nearly renovated. No clue on how much we spent, but we do know that we LOVE the thing, and it is ready to go (sans food) at a moment notice. I know we have everything on the lists previously stated... but also have a vertical kayak/bike rack, TPMS pressure monitor system, backup camera system, GPS system, portable Campmor Grill, and some other things. Always mindful of our weight limits... and safety.
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8265 5th Wheel
GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0 8cyl 3/4 ton
gailgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #39

The most expensive thing I bought was the generator if you add the portable coleman grill a folding table and two gravity recliners then we are at a grand or less.
Then had to buy a couple of recliners to replace the swivel rockers we did not like now we are at two.
Then we bought these because we did not want to pack them from one house to the other.
New bedding.
Pots and pans.
Silverware and other utensils.
Towels bathroom and kitchen.
A second torque wrench and socket for the lug nuts.

Newest item is wheel covers from Walmart.com

I still need to pickup.
Electric impact wrench.
Maxxair vent fan.
Patio mat.
Stabilizer arms.

I am sure I have left some stuff off but it is early here and I have not had my allotment of coffee yet.