Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #1

Initial inspection

I'm supposed to pick up the new 3150bhd this weekend, but am having some reservations.
We got about a foot of snow on Monday, and the plan was to get the unit and store in my yard. Well I made sure to plow the driveway and the area that the unit will be stored, but I'm nervous the snow will hamper my inspection.
Obviously it will be a great time to test the heat, but I'm thinking that crawling around under the unit will be a bit uncomfortable.
What say you? Would snow have affected your inspections? This is my first so I'm not even sure what to look for (will search forum for inspection threads).
Agewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Infractee

Any reason why you are not doing the PDI at the dealership? They may have a better place to do it and if you find something they can try to fix it right then.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #3

When I picked my new unit up, the dealership had moved it to inside and cleaned it spotless inside and out. We did the whole walk through there with no problems.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Any reason why you are not doing the PDI at the dealership? They may have a better place to do it and if you find something they can try to fix it right then.

Sorry if I misled. The inspection will be done at the dealership.
Is it customary for them to do it in the garage if it's raining or snowing?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Just in case, I would call the dealership and confirm. If not, I am sure they would agree to it if you ask.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agewon View Post
Sorry if I misled. The inspection will be done at the dealership.
Is it customary for them to do it in the garage if it's raining or snowing?

LOL okay, I was somehow thinking you were doing the PDI in your snow covered yard, laying underneath!
I would demand the PDI be done inside if inclement weather! Never look at ANYTHING that is wet that you are about to buy. (and that includes boats as well)

And yes, search the forum for a PDI sheet to print and take with.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #7

Call them and ask/tell them you want the PDI done indoors, probably in one of their service bays. Most dealers would do that during inclement weather conditions.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I would pretty much insist that it would be inside, as well. You'll be there for a couple of hours and you don't want to rush it if you're cold. I'm sure the tech would agree.

Here's a checklist in case you don't already have one Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Always Learning

Depends on the dealer and the unit- I found out (much too late) that my dealer's service facility isn't big enough to take my camper into it.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Depends on the dealer and the unit- I found out (much too late) that my dealer's service facility isn't big enough to take my camper into it.
Doug, just curious - how would they do repairs on the roof or exterior? Outside the bay? Maybe they just need to time it with good weather.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 01-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #11

How would repairs be done to a unit if the service facility doesn't have a bay big enough? What would they do if it rains? Very odd.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forest River Forums mobile app
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Doug, just curious - how do they do repairs? Outside the bay?
Pretty much. They pull the camper around to the backside of the building, just behind the shop and work on it back there.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #13

They should have an indoor service bay that is also heated. If they don't I would ask to pick it up when the weather is better for a good inspection and walk through. You will have a better experience if your not cold and can't inspect the unit before taking possession. I would also ask if they can keep it on their lot until the weather is better too. Since I don't pull mine in the salty roads I would not want to get the whole frame and under carriage all salty which will only cause some challenges over time.
2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #14

Spoke to the dealer today. He said he was unable to secure the garage for the inspection, but reminded me that the underbelly is fully enclosed and there wasn't really anything to inspect down there. He said that if I wanted, we could definitely postpone the inspection until better weather.
I'm just going to dress warm and go for it. This is probably ill advised (buying in winter) since I won't be able to test the plumbing and such, but all other systems should be a go. He said he'd have the heat on a little while before for the wife, and would swap out the tank with a fresh one when we were done.
As for trailering it home, should I be concerned if the underbelly is enclosed?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Site Team

How bout postpone the inspection until they have a open bay? No pluming test?? no buy. I would want to check out everything to make sure it works!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
How bout postpone the inspection until they have a open bay?

Thought about that, but he said they were getting deliveries this weekend and all week.
It comes down to this; the wife and kids are wayyyy excited, and I really don't mind dealing with the cold. As a matter of fact, less so when I have money on the line, so I'm sure the PDI tech is going to dislike me a bit. If I want to see under the unit, he's going to have to get me some cardboard. If I want to see the roof again, well he'll have to show me. I plan on making it right with him at the end, but I'm the customer and I haven't signed anything yet.
And honestly, they're a small family business that does fairly well but I don't think their garage is big enough to do my PDI. It looked large, but more of a repair garage. I'm thinking the gravel and cardboard will be cleaner.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
Site Team

at least do it in the daylight. You will be fine with the underbelly driving home.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #18

Our dealer is very small too but I have been dealing with them for years. They only have one building (with one bay) that is big enough for our trailer. (A wood stove for heat) Their other bays are too small. The building started its life as a VW dealership in the 1960s.

But I am only about 2-3 miles away & dealing with them for a long time know the their mechanic by first name. So I know this is not the normal way to go, but our PDI was not lengthy because I know he went through it. Did make sure everything worked. Go to him to always ask what makes that they carry to buy or stay away from. His #1 choice for least time spent in the shop has been PUMAs. They have one make not Forest River that they have had to replace the front fiberglass caps on several.

The 2013 only went back the first year for a couple of minor cosmetic issues & I had them add a 12V ceiling fan.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agewon View Post
It comes down to this; the wife and kids are wayyyy excited, and I really don't mind dealing with the cold.
I can understand that. The process of buying is an exciting time for the whole family. If you follow as much of the PDI list as possible, you can still get a lot done under these conditions.

The concept of a full PDI that allows you to test ALL of the systems is in case you find a really big issue that would make you hesitant to sign on the bottom line and take delivery. Its relatively rare, though.

You WILL find small items that will need to be taken care of but these can be fixed by you or the dealer later. It would help if you ask them what their turnaround will be like later so you can plan this spring.

The biggest things that you will not be able to check are the water systems, including WH, all plumbing, tanks, etc, fridge, and the air conditioner. Make sure to check those as soon as you can.

Congrats on your new camper and have fun!

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #20

PDI went great. The tech was pretty young but had been working at the dealer for a few years, so he knew his way around. Reading this forum allowed me to throw some curveballs at him to see If he was just another "salesman" but he proved to be knowledgable.
Some issues I found were; the fridge didn't look as if it was fully flush with the cabinet, the outdoor kitchen hatch was a little off preventing locking of one side, and the electric panel on the fridge had a little bow. Then noticed one of the speakers wasn't working so ill check that tomorrow. He asked if I wanted to leave it for service and I told him no.
My thought was; I haven't been able to test the water system or really inspect the roof (little icy up there) so I'll do some dry camping in the yard and once it warms up, I'll run the water system (black tank is still a new tank) and see if anything else is present. The. I'll make a laundry list and drop it off before the season kicks in and get everything knocked out in one haul. Now, I have to hope it warms up well before the season kicks in NJ.
Aside from that, we spent the last 4 hours in it with the kids and neighbors. Had a few cocktails and the kids got to play in their bunkhouse, and got to really test the heat (snowing again here).