Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #1

Inside of tires rubbing fender wells.

I used my camper for the first time last weekend and am getting ready to leave on another trip this weekend (about 2500 miles). I just discovered the tires on the back axle are rubbing my fender wells. I am thinking a quick fix will be some Dorman 5/16" wheel spacers. What say everybody?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

What kind of RV do you have? Are these new tires of a different size than OEM?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #3

I'm not a fan of spacers, they effectively shorten the wheel studs hampering the thread engagement. Now, if you have sufficient stud length to have proper engagement when torqued (Rule of thumb is the diameter of the bolt, so a 1/2" bolt needs at least 1/2" thread engagement.) then you'll be OK.

But I'd try to figure out why it's rubbing. Has a panel come loose or moved? Could the panels be held down by a new screw?

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #4

Sounds to me like a problem from the manufacturer unless as stated above the tires have been changed from OEM.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #5

My TT came that way..didn't notice till I needed new tires..one more trip and we'd have gone thru a sidewall. Thankfully we don't travel far to camp or we'd have found this issue 'the hard way'.

The camper floor/body isn't centered on the frame. Not off by much, but there's not a lot of clearance to start with.
I opted to fix it myself - remove the sheet metal inner fender and cut back (chisel mostly) the floor / baseplate back for clearance and reinstall the best I could the sheetmetal inner fender.

I then sprayed it with white paint and took a ride making sure I articulated the suspension as much as possible and once I didin't rub off any paint I was good to go.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I used my camper for the first time last weekend and am getting ready to leave on another trip this weekend (about 2500 miles). I just discovered the tires on the back axle are rubbing my fender wells. I am thinking a quick fix will be some Dorman 5/16" wheel spacers. What say everybody?
Is the rubbing the same pattern on both sides or just one? If the same on both sides then you might have a frame alignment problem. If on just one side,then I would be checking for something loose/broken on that side.

Why would you want to install spacers to cure a wheel rubbing the fender well?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #7

The rv is a 2014 grey wolf 27rr. The wheels that came on it were steel. There was an optional aluminum wheel available that I wanted so the dealer ordered them from the manufacturer and installed them. Both sides of back axle appear to rub about the same amount. The front axle is only clearing by a frogs hair. I figure the spacers are not that much money and will allow me to use the camper until November or December when I will take it back to the dealer for any warranty issues that arise. I'm wondering if I should get spacers for front axle as well even though it is not rubbing yet?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Is the rubbing the same pattern on both sides or just one? If the same on both sides then you might have a frame alignment problem. If on just one side,then I would be checking for something loose/broken on that side.

Why would you want to install spacers to cure a wheel rubbing the fender well?
Spacers will move the wheels out 5/16" on each side giving me clearance between the tire and wheel well. The rubbing is on the inside. Hope I am making this clear.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #9

Yes I understand the problem, I would make sure your dealer is aware of the problem. So it is in his books when you bring it back for warranty issues. In the meantime, I think spacers are your best bet against a blow out. I would do both axles if you have enough space from the tire to the outer fender.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #10

Plenty of room on the outside.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Spacers will move the wheels out 5/16" on each side giving me clearance between the tire and wheel well. The rubbing is on the inside. Hope I am making this clear.
OK - the rubbing is on the inside tires.Spacers may be a short term fix,but with the front axle now in the mix,you might have a body frame to chassis problem.

I wouldn't use the RV until this problem is fixed - you wouldn't want two or more blown tires on the road.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Plenty of room on the outside.
Just make sure they are plate spacers that cover the entire back of the lug nut area and have all 5 holes in the plate.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #13

Do all four that way you maintain the track between the axles, going straight wouldn't be an issue but when turning the different tracks would screw with the alignment.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

I put my wheel spacers on tonight and while I was at it I noticed a few things.

1. Without jacking all four wheels off the ground all the components are unable to "relax".
2. Without being in a "relaxed" position accurate measurements cannot be obtained.
3. The outside of the tire to tire distance is 1/4" greater on one axle than the other.
4. The tires on one side of the trailer are in line with each other.
5. The tires on the other side are a 1/4" different.
6. The distance from tire to fender well before spacers ranged from 3/4" to 1 1/4"

I think these minor variations are to be expected. I think that the tires probably contacted the wheel wells during sharp turning maneuvers. I will be checking the torque on the wheels frequently during the next few hundred miles. I also checked to make sure the wheel bearings were tight. I'm planning a 2500 mile trip this coming week so that should show up any problems.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #15

turns/off camber causes tire clearance on the top of the tires to dramatically reduce.
just watch campers being parked/backed and you'll see it.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Some quick thoughts.
The wheels appear to have the wrong offset. Tires should not make contact with any part of the frame or RV body.

Not sure if I correctly understand item 3,4 and 5 but wheel to frame and wheel to wheel dimensions should be the same. If not then either the axles were not properly located at the factory or the welding was weak or the frame is not strong enough to handle normal loading.

I strongly suggest you go back to the dealer AT ONCE to establish the conditions before you go on a trip. The dealer needs to make appropriate adjustments or fix the problems or put in writing that there will be no future problems or component failure (doubt he will be willing to do that).
He can contact the factory to confirm axle alignment specs and design tire side clearance.
Maybe going back to stock steel wheels is best temporary solution. Spacers can overload hubs, bearing, wheel studs and or wheel nuts.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #17

The clue seems to be (OK with steel wheels) then dealer put on the Alum.wheels. I say they are the wrong offset. New unit and putting spacers so it can be used? Are you guys Nuts? Youroo!! Fix it right!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #18

I never pulled it with the steel wheels so I don't know how it would have been. When I took delivery from the dealer it had the aluminum wheels on it.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #19

Quote:
The rv is a 2014 grey wolf 27rr. The wheels that came on it were steel. There was an optional aluminum wheel available that I wanted so the dealer ordered them from the manufacturer and installed them. Both sides of back axle appear to rub about the same amount. The front axle is only clearing by a frogs hair. I figure the spacers are not that much money and will allow me to use the camper until November or December when I will take it back to the dealer for any warranty issues that arise. I'm wondering if I should get spacers for front axle as well even though it is not rubbing yet?
The steel wheels made it from Indiana to Kansas,my money is still on (Wrong offset) on New Al.wheels! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #20

I have a 2013 Shasta Oasis 285 BHS. I blew a tire on my second trip with it. I noticed when I was underneath that the inside of the tires are rubbing on the frame. As well, the front axle wasn't aligned. 49 weeks after first brining it to the dealer's attention, I finally had it fixed. The frame alignment place had to brace the axle brackets as they appeared to be slightly bent. Now that's it's fixed, there is only about 1/4 inch between the frame and the tires. Are the axles too narrow or is the problem an offset issue? Has anyone else had these issues?
Rbouchard49156 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires