Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
We have the Bosh model in our house and it works great. They now make models that can be externally mounted in a little open "shed dormer" that hangs on the outside of the house (or coach). We save a billion - well not really - bucks a year on not heating and reheating the same water. It's an easy setup. I did ours and I'm just a jack-of-most trades kinda guy. Some of the new propane ones use the flow of water - caused by the open hot water valve - to spin a small generator that kicks the spark and opens the gas line. Ours is totally power free, but it needs a constant pilot light. While a bit expensive up front, we figured ours paid for itself in about 3.5 years. BTW ours is mounted in a small broom closet in the bathroom. We NEVER run out of hot water. There is a bit of a time delay for the water to get hot, say 10-15 seconds.

Mom & Me (both USAF Ret)
w/Jake & Buddy
2008.5 F-350SD SC
Lariat Long Bed w/6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel 6x6
2007 Palomino Prototype WinterCreek 11.5' Slideout TC loaded
Bruisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
I like the idea, but you would have to be careful and frugal with your water supply while boondocking. That 10-15 second delay would waste valuable water unless you captured it and recycled it. Small price to pay for what you have, though.

Just looked on the Lowes website and they list the 1600H LP unit for $741 (with the possibility of a $300 tax rebate). If I was fulltiming I would consider it for my Sandpiper, but for the time being I'll just keep my Suburban 6 gal. However, I'm thinking seriously about putting one in here in my stickhouse. I'm on municipal water so I would have hot water when the power is out. And it's got to be cheaper than the unit I have now.

My driver's license says my name is "Jeff"
2000 Chevy 2500 4/4 6.0/3.73
2002 FR Sandpiper 30FKSS
Reese Strait-Line
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote