Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2019, 04:09 AM   #41
"On the road again"

I'd advise you to stay away from Good Sam/National General. I went with them - rates much lower than the company I had been with for 20 years. Went up about 10 or 12% the first year...then 20% and then QUADRUPLED the next year.

Needless to say, I left them and am happily back with my previous company - Texas Farm Bureau Insurance.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #42

But what about the service

Everyone is concerned about rates but what about the service when you have a claim. I have everything with State Farm. Home, Life, Auto, Motorcycle and RV so I have multi line discounts, loyalty discounts and good driving discounts. But when I've had a claim is when it really counts. My first TT was damaged and totaled by a tree branch. It was a little difficult getting FMV for that one because it was old but I ended up satisfied. Our current TT is 19 years old now. We have no idea how it happened but the roof material peeled back from a front corner and sat for a year leaking water and rotting. this was about 5 years ago. I turned it in to the insurance company saying I didn't know what happened and they ended up putting a new $7000 roof on it.

Progressive on the other hand has tried to cut corners on repairs that they were responsible for when someone hit my daughters car. They also scheduled all the repairs and then tried to only pay a small portion of the rental bill. The body shop refused to do the repairs the way Progressive wanted them to. I went through several Managers with no satisfaction until I posted a nasty review with details on Facebook. Within 15 minutes of posting the review, I got a call from Progressive saying they were taking care of the $900 rental bill because the body shop had the car for a month dealing with Progressive.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #43
Enjoying Life

X2 on the servicing side.
I also have State Farm for everything and an agent who knows me. I have had nothing but excellent claims history with them. As far as increases in rates, it is a fact of life in the insurance industry. When I have had any questions about an increase, I just call my agent. They look at what is going on and every time they find a way to bring it back down without any loss of coverage. It may not be exactly back to the previous rate but a 1 or 2 % increase is very reasonable. Having the ability to call someone who knows me is better than having to constantly look around because the intro rate they quoted last year just went up 30 or 40% and they don't know who you are so don't care to help.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Just curious why that is so important to you. Homeowner's insurance typically covers any loss to all structures on the property.
If it's has wheels most consider it not a structure. Mobil homes in most cases axles are removed along with the tounge.
bondo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #45

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydogs View Post
Why be loyal to any Insurance Company when there’s absolutely no loyalty in return, it doesn’t matter if you have been with them for years and years with no claims, it’s not about their customer’s it’s about the almighty dollar and the stockholders, I would love to be in a meeting were an executive suggest a loyalty program for long time customers with no claims just to see how fast that executive gets fired.
wife`s a higher employee for a insurance co. posed this statement to her she said yep if not fired then no raises or promotion. You are nothing but a number.
Resse Goose box hitch, Mor/Ryde SRE 4000, X Factors, shocks... real smooth ride
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #46
D W

Sooo, what I gather from 45 or so posts, insurance is one of those things that
you can't live with it, but you can't live without it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #47

I have Farmers/Foremost and have Farmers for everything else (2 life, 3 autos, homeowners, etc). I tried getting travel trailer coverage from others but F/F was most reasonable considering my trailer is in another state, and parked on a farm under a shed and 10 miles from an incorporated city with fire protection. So if it burns, it's going to burn to the ground before anyone arrives to attempt putting it out. It's not ideal, but it's what I can do now until the situation changes. Given my criteria I couldn't even get through Good Sam and others preliminary online questionnaire. If I move the trailer back home to Tulsa insurance coverage will be cut in half, or about $600 per year.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:24 AM   #48
Yukon_Bill

We dropped progressive. Ive used Geico and they drop you and raise rates when you are accident free, because statistics show your likely to be involved in a crash. Many insurance companies are simply rip offs. We use USAA, at least they pay quickly and seem to offer fair rates.
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:40 AM   #49

My Agent is a friend

We actually motor home together and when I just purchased, she shopped me VERY hard around. I ended up at Progressive for several reasons. Total Loss Replacement was the big one. She has my coverage boosted in several areas and explained each and why they end up being cheap, literally pennies monthly. I trust her because she explains every option with only a suggestion on why she would choose one over the other. The one thing I have learned from working with her over the years is everyone has different factors put into a cost on a policy. It would be hard to use one example as a deciding factor. My advice would be to make sure you trust your agent is looking out for you, and shop apples to apples, not oranges!
Ohmygodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonbill View Post
We dropped progressive. Ive used Geico and they drop you and raise rates when you are accident free, because statistics show your likely to be involved in a crash. Many insurance companies are simply rip offs. We use USAA, at least they pay quickly and seem to offer fair rates.

I use USAA for my 4 vehicles and the rates are great, but they didn’t want to let me insure my TT for 6 months. I live in MN and don’t use it from Nov til Apr.
clcornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:36 PM   #51
Trailer Park Supervisor

I can't uninsure my Corvette over the winter too. But this is good in case something happens and it goes up in flames.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcornell View Post
I use USAA for my 4 vehicles and the rates are great, but they didn’t want to let me insure my TT for 6 months. I live in MN and don’t use it from Nov til Apr.
That is unfortunate. We've been with USAA since mid-90s. Got 3 vehicles insured with them. Added our last TT for 80 and change for a 6-month premium. Added our new TT for 10.82 per 6. I will admit I have not put in a TT claim, but for a vehicle, they are awesome to work with.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
Sure glad Medicare does not work that way .... I guess U R not joking, as they always DO ask for birth dates !
Unfortunately, Medicare does work that way, increases every year.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #54

Insurance increased by 50% !

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcornell View Post

I have USAA and my 6 month premium on my TT is $146. I also have two vehicles and my homeowner policy with them.
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
After researching, looks like I may be "locked" into Foremost. In order to get the "Total Loss Settlement Provision", you need to get started with that in the FIRST year of ownership of the new TT, so switching now prevents that clause. Also, many do NOT offer the "Adjacent Structures" provision ! And possibly, many may not even offer the "AMOUNT STATED" provision.
I think the "Adjacent Structures" was covered in one of the responses. But what are the other two coverages: "Total Loss Settlement" and "Amount Stated"?

Also for the "Adjacent Structures" wouldn't that be covered by the other party's insurance?

Thanks
Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #56

I switched from Allstate to Aarp, saved $700 a year. Seven years later, I switched from Aarp to Farmers Ins. and saved $500 a year. Rates are figured differently. I gave my agent a chance to match the offer, when he couldn't I switched.
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance