Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Interior and exterior protector?

Just ordered out first RV. The dealer is has an option for some sort of paint and fabric protectant.. It protects the paint and decals from fading and I guess its easier to clean off bugs and stuff. The exterior would be warrantied for 5 years. We will be living in Florida so it may be a good idea with the sun? The cost is $499.00 for the outside and $499.00 for the interior. Is it worth it or is there a cheaper way to protect the RV? Thanks.
rblake39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #2

That is something that I would pass on. That comes to $998 for what may well be a waxing of the exterior and something like scotch guard on the fabric. To me that is a lot of money. I have always washed and waxed my fivers and I have never applied fabric protector.
When I got my current fiver, February 2015, I had it at Camping World for a slide adjustment and my better half said that I was now to old to be washing and waxing my fiver so she called Camping World to price washing and waxing it. When they told her $10 per foot, $380, she determined that maybe I wasn't to old after all.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
That is something that I would pass on. That comes to $998 for what may well be a waxing of the exterior and something like scotch guard on the fabric. To me that is a lot of money.
+1 Exactly. Waxing is a pain, but not THAT much. And you can almost guarantee it will be a quick spritz with Scotchguard.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #4

Buy yourself a couple cans of Scotchgard at WallyWorld. While you're there get a bottle of Turtle Wax Ice liquid. It goes on really easy, comes off really easy, doesn't leave white on your black trim and shines like crazy. You could buy a lot of Scotchgard and car polish for $998.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

This reminds me of the old "Rusty Jones" scam where the dealer put this stuff on your car without asking and then tried to add it to the price at closing. Wax & Scotchgard
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #6

All good information. The dealer we had wanted to sell the scotch guard for the fabric, but guess what, all the interior, including the seat are vinyl. So they had no clue what we were buying. I use saddle soap on the seats and it works well,.. Good old turtle wax on the outside. One advantage about waxing your whole unit. (and you don't have to do it all in one day| is that you will see any paint scratches or damage in small spots on the fiberglass.(rock chips) plus checking outside seals while you go.

Brandon2
2014 Sunseeker 2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #7

Pin stripe shop told me to use high polymer wax on decals as the sun will pull it out of them. Decals will usually last 5 years before shrinking or fading. Sounds like a rip to me. Just MHO.
James Briar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #8

I went over the best type of wax to use by contacting Mark Polk of RV 101. Mark is a fountain of information and you can subscribe to his monthly magazine for free.
There are volumes of tips and information on every thing to do with Rvs.
He has no favorit wax for the out side./ fiberglass of one's RV. He did however suggested marine wax. Makes perfect sense as it is exposed to not only the elements but also salt and the elements..

Brandon2
Sunseeker 2500 TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #9

Thanks all. I knew I'd get great info here.
rblake39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

My 2 cents but I agree with the majority on this one. That $1000. for the coating and guard will be financed with the purchase? If yes than you can add a percentage to the bottom line. I think this is akin to oil undercoating a new vehicle for rust protection. I hand polish my 31 feet of fibreglass TT, a pride of ownership thing, decals are still good, starting to fade and peel. I am also that crazy person that puts a coating on the tires, shines the chrome rims and is constantly up on the roof....

My DW says I work more on the trailer than our house...

Here in Ontario, Canada with our cold and harsh winters, I don't care what you put on the outside to protect it...it wont be good enough, only true protection is to park/store indoors.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #11

great info from all. thank you.

in my case i have a wolf pup and the outside is metal/aluminum and i leave her in a farm with lots of dust. the surface is not slick so marine wax would not do. what should i use after washing to make it easier to maintain? rain x or similar?
thank you
rvengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvengers View Post
great info from all. thank you.

in my case i have a wolf pup and the outside is metal/aluminum and i leave her in a farm with lots of dust. the surface is not slick so marine wax would not do. what should i use after washing to make it easier to maintain? rain x or similar?
thank you

Mothers, wash and wax. Buy it on Amazon.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #13

Thank you for your help. I will look it up.
rvengers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior