Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Smile Internet

We are snowbirds and so frustrated with the "free wi-fi" (which is not secure) in the campgrounds. what does everyone else use for internet?
lesteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Site Team

To avoid any security issues we added a Samsung Galaxy tablet, on the Verizon cellular network, to our cellphone account. We use the "free" wifi, when it works, for surfing but for any email or financial transactions the wifi is turned off and we use cellular access to the network.

You can also create your own wifi hotspot with most smart cell phones. You then connect via your own wifi network. Then you are accessing the cellular network through your cell phone.

In both cases you will be paying for the data charges on your cell plan. We went with the tablet for the simplicity and the convenience. Plus Verizon was virtually giving away the tablets when we purchased ours...

There are a lot of other fancy solutions, these are just the two easiest ones I'm familiar with...

EDIT: Go to the Modifications and Updates subforum, Here, and do a Search on "wifi" there are several threads on other options.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

I use the CG WiFi and make certain Norton is up to date on all that can connect.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

Depends on the os you're using to connect. With Android, you could use Avast Secure VPN (or similar.) That encrypts your communication. For windows, there are some network vpn or lock down tools. Also, when you connect to the cg's wifi, select public network. Firefox has some really good built in security features. You can lock it down pretty good. Most users set up their windows pc's with admin rights. You can create an account without admin and login with that.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:40 AM   #5
Always Learning

As you found, most free wifi is crap. We carry a Verizon JetPack device called a mobile hotspot (actually, I also carry an A&T one due to *needing* Internet for work). These hotspots are either on their own plan or on a "shared data" plan with smart phones depending on what you already have and works best for you financially.

You can often also use a smartphone and setup a mobile hotspot, but if you're doing this with any regularity- you'll find that these can be finicky at times. And sometimes you have to pay your cell phone provider for the privilege of using data however you like.

It's all dependent on cell service. If you're outside of the range of that, you may need to consider a booster OR, barring that, suffer with crappy free wifi as there aren't good alternatives.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:53 AM   #6

WE use a Verizon mifi hotspot and have a booster for it and cell signals. Also have a booster for wifi if it is low.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:40 AM   #7

X2 on the Verizon JetPack. It's secure and small enough to stay out of sight. We have a 10 Gb plan that is never used up unless we decide to stream a few netflicks. We can even use it in the TV while driving as it has good range.
We also have a signal boosting antenna that picks up wifi a long, long ways away. I've logged into a restaurant's wifi from a 1/4 mile away and had three bars of signal. USB plugs right into the computer.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #8

I use Verizon hotspot and am very pleased with the service, it is faster then I would have thought. I don't stream movies.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #9

I use my AT&T iPhone 6 as a wifi hotspot and have a 30gb data plan. I've never gone over. I surf the web, stream music and video.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #10

I have been using my Verizon iPhone as a hot spot and so far have had very good luck. Had to move to the top of a hill at one campground to get signal but once I got 3 bars I had very good LTE bandwidth. I only have an iPhone 5s so if someone calls my phone, it bumps me off of the internet which in my case is not so good because I am usually on a secure VPN connection. (It's a hassle to go through and re-login into the VPN and then restart all the programs). The work around I found is to use the *72 phone forwarding feature and I don't get bumped off. From what I understand the iPhone 6 and 6s can do data and phone simultaneously so those won't be an issue. Not sure about the Verizon Android smartphones.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #11

HTC on Sprint as a hotspot. DW, 2DDs, and furry kid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5047.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	101081  
Old 03-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
I have been using my Verizon iPhone as a hot spot and so far have had very good luck. Had to move to the top of a hill at one campground to get signal but once I got 3 bars I had very good LTE bandwidth. I only have an iPhone 5s so if someone calls my phone, it bumps me off of the internet which in my case is not so good because I am usually on a secure VPN connection. (It's a hassle to go through and re-login into the VPN and then restart all the programs). The work around I found is to use the *72 phone forwarding feature and I don't get bumped off. From what I understand the iPhone 6 and 6s can do data and phone simultaneously so those won't be an issue. Not sure about the Verizon Android smartphones.

You're getting bumped because it's Verizon, not because it's a 5 vs a 6. Basically, there's two kinds of cellular networks CDMA or GSM. Companies that use GSM can do voice and data simultaneously, CDMA can't, but CDMA generally has a better overall signal than GSM which means CDMA works better farther from the towers than GSM, which is why Verizon usually has better coverage in the fringes.

Now, back to the OP's question. We just use my iPhone's hotspot. I'm Canadian, so I'm on a Canadian plan. It's a smaller company so I don't have LTE, just 3G speeds, but I only pay about $35 US (factoring for the exchange rate on $45 CDN) for unlimited talk, text and data throughout Canada and the US. As a cross-border commuter this plan is essential for me, so since I have it, I leverage it while camping too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You're getting bumped because it's Verizon, not because it's a 5 vs a 6.
I have not done it because I have an iPhone 5s. But from what I have read, with the 6 or 6s you can enable VoLTE and do voice and data at the same time on Verizon. Have you tried this?

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #14

If you can get 4g/LTE you can do voice and data at the same time. I could do voice and data with my Sprint Epic on 3g. Really killed data speed.