Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #21

So much disinformation in this thread I don't have a clue on where to start debunking it.

Do your research. Talk to someone who knows and read the fine print..

I'm out.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #22

What is the disinformation at?

To say someone posted disinformation(Disinformation is false information spread deliberately to deceive) is just plain rude!

I never said anything more, that is posted on Verizon's website, or the eBay links with unlimited data as a rental unit. and I do not think anyone else here did either! That is why I included pics of their site info.

It was just info to help anyone decide what to do!

there are lot of options, just research for yourself what is best for you!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:16 AM   #23

Regarding the Hot Spot device, it is very expensive to use. I've abandoned using mine.

I have an iPhone 6 and ATT for my carrier with 20G per month for data. Everyday internetting I will use my iPhone, it's uses about 1/4th the amount of data the Hot spot did and it works very well.

My 2017 Chevy Silverado came with WiFi, which is through ATT. After the 60 day trial period, I signed up for WiFi for my pickup. It cost me $20.00 per month for unlimited monthly service. I also use this for traveling, passengers can internet, stream Netflix and watch Dish Anywhere.

When in a trailer park, I turn the ignition switch onto "accessory", ensure my lights and radio are off then lock it with my other set of keys. It sends signal into the trailer and I have a strong WiFi signal, grandkids will internet, stream YouTube videos, wife can watch her Dish Anywhere or Netflix and I can internet including logging on to my system at home to watch/ monitor my security system. When done, I shut it all off, take my keys and lock it.

I wish I could find the device like in my pickup for home use, $20 per month is cheap, my Charter at home internet is now $49.95 per month.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford View Post
I wish I could find the device like in my pickup for home use, $20 per month is cheap, my Charter at home internet is now $49.95 per month.
AT&T Mobley is what your looking for. Works great!
You can use a 120 volt AC adapter or a 12 Volt DC cord to run the device. The intended connection to the vehicles ODBII port uses only 2 pins for power. No other communication with the vehicles data port is done.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ZCM View Post
$6500 is for a RV setup, motorized and electronic pointing unit yes very costly!!

Sounds like you are trying to watch Netflix! Yep that is not going to work.

For $120 to $200 a month you can get a Verizon Mifi unit that has true unlimited data, No Throttle, No Cap!
They are all over eBay
Here is one example!

Verizon Truly Unlimited 4G LTE Data - No Throttled, No Cap - ONE MONTH INCLUDED | eBay

What they are doing is... they have a Verizon Business account... which has TRUE unlimited data, No Throttling and No Limit, they add a unit to their account for $40 a month, then jack up the price.
Be VERY careful of these - Technomadia has reported that some (not all) are scams.

If you want to go this route, it is recommended that you go through a legitimate reseller - they discuss this and other internet issues extensively on their site:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/membership/

While you are at it, consider a membership - your money supports their tireless investigation into all things pertaining to Mobile internet - especially as it pertains to the Full Time RVer. Over the past year, it is my conservative estimate that they have saved me over $1,500.00 by steering me away from bad buys and poorly engineered equipment. That alone, not even counting their monthly VTCs with members and the Q&A sessions + rapid email/Facebook replies make the $57/year membership fee well worth while!

Oh and the cool ebook on mobile internet + coverage apps that are included sweeten the pot even further!

EDIT: This expands on what Doug said about Technomadia
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
LOL, programmer by trade. My work life is online. I actually work four 10s so it makes for longer days.

I have a few more years for retirement... am only 37. Retirement account and stock investment accounts are growing nicely, but aren't anywhere that'll let me retire yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Sure glad I'm retired (13 years and growing)
And interestingly enough, RVIA estimates that well over 150,000 - to as many as 250,000 people now Fulltime RV AND Work Fulltime as well
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:15 AM   #27

So....does anyone "Camp" anymore ? or do they sit around their lap tops, tablets, Iphones, Sat TV, cable TV ? No offense to "Full Timers" your RV is your home or business.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:20 AM   #28
PhD, Common Sense

Please, do tell us what "camping" is.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
So....does anyone "Camp" anymore ? or do they sit around their lap tops, tablets, Iphones, Sat TV, cable TV ? No offense to "Full Timers" your RV is your home or business.
I camp.
I glamp.
I travel.
I watch TV.
I watch the stars.
I watch campfires.
I sit in chairs and visit with friends.
I shower.
I use the commode.
I dump my tanks.
I cook inside.
I cook outside.
I text.
I pay bills on the computer, via Wifi.
I'm not full time.
I've been gone from home a month, probably be another month before I go home.
I don't do things like you do.
I don't even do things like I do, sometimes.
I work on my trailer.
I fix things best I can myself, just like at home.
I sleep a lot.
I drive a lot.
I think a lot.

What do you do when you camp?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #30
PhD, Common Sense

Camping, to me, is the ironic mix of self-sufficiency combined with neighborliness. Any step down from regular comforts qualifies for this.

If someone backpacks into the wilderness, with only what he can carry on foot, mocks my "camping", I will applaud him for his true camping prowess.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:29 AM   #31

I do not understand much of what has been posted in the thread. It all seems very difficult and so many point of views seem to complicate it more. We have ATT - 2 iPhone 6 with 30 GB of shared data and have had decent service more often than some of the people we travel with that are with other carriers. When we are away from home we use the personal hotspot on our phones to connect other devices - iPad and laptop - to the internet. We do not watch streaming video or surf the internet all day and all night, but there is an occasional need to access information about the area we are visiting, connect to work, answer an email, take care of a bill or plot the course for the next leg of our trip.

30GB is more than enough to support 3 of our grandkids, all with iPads, for a week with about an hour of iPad time every night after showers and before lights out.
2018 Ram 2500
2014 Spark
gondrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #32

I have the AT&T ZTE Mobley wifi device, I gives me UNLIMITED service for $20 per month, it works in places that my iPhone will not work. it is a great service
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I have the AT&T ZTE Mobley wifi device, I gives me UNLIMITED service for $20 per month, it works in places that my iPhone will not work. it is a great service
FYI, I looked at getting it and the service for new accounts is no longer unlimited. Still a decent deal, but no longer unlimited.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
LOL, programmer by trade. My work life is online. I actually work four 10s so it makes for longer days.

I have a few more years for retirement... am only 37. Retirement account and stock investment accounts are growing nicely, but aren't anywhere that'll let me retire yet!
A tip to make early retirement possible. Get rid of all debt you can.

Choose a lifestyle you can afford and enjoy it to the max.

Don't try to keep up with the "Jones'"

Lastly, whatever you buy, "Use it up". Every manufacturer will keep putting out newer and better items from vehicles, appliances, computers, or "toys". If the one you have works, keep using it until it appears it won't work soon.

Of course if your livelihood requires a new computer for it's advanced capabilities that's one thing. How many others though will buy a new Laptop just because it's the latest and greatest, many terabytes of storage, processor speed so fast it gives you the answer before you are finished typing ------------ and then just use it to read e-mail or "google" a new campground? I used my old laptop for 12 years before the screen's frame broke at the hinges. Figured it was time for a new one.

Did the same with my TT, used it for 22 years. My current Tow Vehicle is 12 years old and still looks like it did when I drove it home from the Dealership new. Runs that way too.

In general, people spend too much money just trying to keep up with the crowd. Like I said, "Use it Up" and put the money saved into retirement. Retire earlier and enjoy life even more.

To me, the internet can be a huge drain on resources. Having the feeling you have to stay "connected" means expensive wireless plans, expensive phones, etc.

Wasn't my wife and my choice. Our "internet connection" when away from home has been a Consumer Cellular phone (Moto G) that can be used as a hot spot if needed. My average monthly bill--------$45. Data use--------<500 Mb. of a 1.5 Gb plan.

For those who are full timers and working, I understand. For retirement, didn't we retire to get away from all the strings and bonds we had while working?

That's just my view on it

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote