Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
NOT mooching off of some hapless guy who did not know to PW protect his WIFI That is wrong.
x2 this also. I use my Crane range extender for campground wifi.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #22

Just to throw my two cents in here on Wi-Fi extenders. In my opinion they are not worth it. While it may extend your range (or at least give you a sense that it does) they only make a difference to get you on a network. They will in no way give you more speed or better access. Campgrounds may offer free Wi-Fi however they typically will have a simple broadband connection in them that is shared with everyone on the network, or anyone that is also connected to it. With broadband there is typically no way to do any type of QoS (prioritization) of traffic either so all data packets are essentially competing on a first in first out basis and a large packet (video streaming) once in, will cause a great delay for a smaller data packet (Web connection). One person establishing a VPN tunnel will also impact everyone else as well, which is typical in remote workers.

Add in to this the people in the office that are using the web to surf and stay busy, people streaming radio and video (YouTube even or videos on FaceBook) and you have taken a broadband to its knees.

You are best to get a hot spot by a provider that will meet your needs and receive good wireless coverage in the area. General rule of thumb (but not always the case) if you must have Internet access find a campground close to an interstate where cell towers are often a plenty.

If money is no object and it is critical for you, look into some of the new satellite services and learn to aim and point a dish properly for this. The new ones have decreased latency and no longer require an analog or POTS line for connectivity.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Hey Bob - I've not looked at these, primarily because after a few years of trying things out, I still feel that the internet available at MOST campgrounds isn't worth connecting to. Sure, you can boost your connectivity to their wifi routers, but if their internet connection to that router is a little bitty slow thing, you've spent a lot of money and built a complicated system that gets you no where.

I've found the Crane booster to be the simplest method. It just plugs into your USB port (or two ports to boost power levels), and has a suction cup that holds it to a window. You run their software, find the network you want to join, and connect. Since I'm a Mac user, it's easy for me to then share that data connection in the trailer, using my wifi as a repeater.

Before that, I tried two different antenna's I mounted to a 12' painters pole, strapped to my rear ladder. (Both were highly rated on Amazon, but didn't help much). I had a long antenna wire I ran down the ladder and in through the emergency escape window (no screen). That connected to a booster/router running custom software. And...it bottle necked at the slow internet connection.

Bah! :-) All that work, and my mobile hot spot is still faster than the campground wifi. :-)

Let me know if you go with one of those base station solutions, though, and how it works for you. The Redwolf Clan is a high tech clan, and we're always interested in better network performance in the boonies.

(BTW - bestest wifi camping ever: Archview RV Resort north of Moab. They were easily providing 8Mpbs down, 2Mpbs up)
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #24

Verizon 4GLTE Mobile Hotspot,works for us! Campgrounds & Mickey Ds are a Joke! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #25

Wow, a lot of great ideas here. For my purposes there will be no streaming or downloading of huge files. I connect to a website for work and accomplish all of my stuff on that site, and I connect to a Microsoft exchange server for my email and that is it. My Metro PCS 4G hotspot is unlimited and works great - when it connects! At Disney my service dropped to 3G and the hotspot would not activate which made me very angry. I may look into TMobile since they recently acquired Metro PCS but it sounds like I am taking a trip to the Verizon store for their mifi setup. Thanks everyone!
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
At Disney my service dropped to 3G and the hotspot would not activate which made me very angry.
Perhaps I am in the minority here, but I actually see this as a good thing. If and when I am at Disney, with my family, most likely on vacation, keep me "in a disconnected state" and allow me to spend the time and make memories with a focus on my family.

..... Insert Mickey ears here ......
Old 06-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Perhaps I am in the minority here, but I actually see this as a good thing. If and when I am at Disney, with my family, most likely on vacation, keep me "in a disconnected state" and allow me to spend the time and make memories with a focus on my family.
x2 on being disconnected while on vacation. If I'm off work, I establish as much "I'm not available" as I can get away with. However, that's not always possible if your butts on the line for a multi-million dollar deal that make or brake can equal employed or not. I'm not quite that far up the totem pole that I can't find a delegate, but I am just one step off from that level. And as much as I love my family I still have a responsibility to them to ensure the money still comes in.

On the flip-side of this. There's those of us who have the ability to work where ever there's an internet connection. These people want to be able to give even more time to their family by not limiting them to vacations just when they can also take vacations. These people are willing to find a balance of bringing the family to a vacation spot, with the offset of having to work while there.

I'm not at that point but I have considered it. I'd love to let the family take more than a week at a time, but I know that in order to do it I'd have to setup the same "Daddy's at work" rules that apply in the house. But our TT doesn't have any doors that I can close off to do conference calls like I can at home.

Quote:
..... Insert Mickey ears here ......
Would you settle for a ?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
There's those of us who have the ability to work where ever there's an internet connection. These people want to be able to give even more time to their family by not limiting them to vacations just when they can also take vacations. These people are willing to find a balance of bringing the family to a vacation spot, with the offset of having to work while there.

I'm not at that point but I have considered it. I'd love to let the family take more than a week at a time, but I know that in order to do it I'd have to setup the same "Daddy's at work" rules that apply in the house. But our TT doesn't have any doors that I can close off to do conference calls like I can at home.
Good call on the working remotely and why. That's exactly what we do most of the time.

I am lucky that our bedroom has a real door and I'm able to shut it. The downside, the A/C in there is extremely loud so it has to be off for conference calls. And my desk is less than ideal (hoping to rectify that with some kind of flip/down/out desk attached to the dresser in there- I can see it if I close my eyes, just need to build it).

Old 06-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Good call on the working remotely and why. That's exactly what we do most of the time.

I am lucky that our bedroom has a real door and I'm able to shut it. The downside, the A/C in there is extremely loud so it has to be off for conference calls. And my desk is less than ideal (hoping to rectify that with some kind of flip/down/out desk attached to the dresser in there- I can see it if I close my eyes, just need to build it).
My ideal setup would be something along this line:

I'd be able to set up one of the bunk houses for the two kids, and in the other strip out the bunks to turn into an office. But those are dreams for another day since the only way I could afford to do that is to full time.

P.S. Yeah, I know we're here.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #30

Understand everyone's point. I am all for working remotely and have done it many times while camping. My focus was on doing it while at Disney. Just my opinion
Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... My focus was on doing it while at Disney. Just my opinion
Ah, missed that point. Yes, definitely agree. At the kind of prices Disney charges, I wouldn't want to be working either.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #32

I need a pay-as-you-go wireless hotspot for about 2.5 months. Need coverage in MD, NJ, and NY... Does anyone know about the 'Internet on the Go' option from Walmart? It's attractive to me because there are no time restrictions... when you use up your data you buy more to reload, whether it's 30 60 days or whatever it never expires. But I can't tell what network it's on... I need it to be reliable and reasonably fast for work when I'll be out in the camper for 3-4 weeks.
Get the TruConnect Internet on the Go Mobile Hotspot at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

AT&T would be my next option I guess
AT&T Unite Mobile 4G WiFi Hotspot: Mobile Broadband : Walmart.com

any comments on these 2 or other options for pay-as-you-go? many thanks...

EDIT: After checking the coverage maps and reading some more, it appears the Straight Talk Wireless pay as you go hotspot is the only one that will work for all my intended destinations... it uses Verizon 3g native coverage only but they cover all the areas I will be whereas neither of the other 2 above will cover all my needed areas. I know this is an expensive option but I only need it for a short period of time to extend my trip out in the camper.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #33

I have and use the Unite (pro) from ATT. It works wonderfully for the wife and I. We were in the Smokey mountains and had no trouble using it to check email, view web pages and even pulled down a couple of shows from my Tivo at the house to watch.

So far no place ive been in the USA (except for one very lonely spot in New Mexico) that we dont get good coverage. You probably wont need the Pro version as it simply allows more devices to share the connection.

Great little box with a great battery and good reception. If needed you can even connect to external antenna, but mines worked great in the RV even running down the road!
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #34

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I just got a Jetpack from Verizon and it works well. 3 and 4G - plenty fast

I had to sign a two year agreement at $49 /month, but can fortunately expense it as office supply. The 5 gig plan is more than enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #35
Paradise has arrived!

verizon mifi

We are seasonal and are in the middle of nowhere in western PA. My Verizon mifi works great but as someone said you need to watch your usage. I have 5GBP per month and have yet to come close to using it all.
Paradise115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #36

I just increase my data plan when traveling. When come home reduce it.

Bryan, Vonnie & Pepper
2012 378 Georgetown

Sent from my iPad
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #37
Mature Citizen

Reliable Internet

The only way we have been able to get reliable internet was to use a mobile hot spot. We use Verizon and it has worked fine over the entire western US. The only issue is the amount of data used if you stream videos. When just using the internet for email and non-video sites the smaller data plans work great.

Darlene, Ralph and Pippin
LTC (USA Retired), W7TLD
2023 - 199 days, 6966 miles
2013 - 2019 - 901 days & 37171 miles
2013 Georgetown XL 378 TS, 2014 Honda CRV
downeyr is offline   Reply With Quote