Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Internet connectivity

OK, I did a forum search and could not find a direct answer. I am lucky enough to be able to work from home or on the road as long as I have a reliable internet connection. I am presently with Metro PCS and it is "ok" but I cant take a chance on being away from work for an extended period when I am out in the RV. What is everyone else using? AT&T, Verizon, etc? I don't mind switching and the cost is not a factor, reliability and dependability on the connection is.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #2

Hi Matt, and welcome to the Forums!! There are a couple of 1/2 time+ telecommuters on the FRF - they will probably see this post and respond.

In most cases, it has been our experience that Verizon is the best in terms of National coverage with AT&T being close behind. If price is no object, perhaps a MiFi from each will suit your needs (Or perhaps the MiFi from Verizon is all you will need)

Also, where you stay on the road is important. Almost all private RV campgrounds offer WIFI. There are WIFI booster antennas out there for @$200 that can snag a WIFI signal from as far away as several miles (I have plans on getting one of these!)

Hope this helps while we wait for the real telecommuters to weigh in on this
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

Here are the coverage maps for the various carriers:

Coverage Maps For All Prepaid Carriers | Prepaid Phone News

Note that data coverage may be different from voice service, so be sure to check the details. Most people seem to feel that Verizon has the best coverage, but it all depends on where you need the service. If cost is truly not an issue, you could consider satellite service.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

I have AT&T and have been able to do most work via VPN and also stream some Netflix (ATT employee plan for data) in most locations I have been to. New Mexico was the exception and their WiFi wasn't going to cut it. I cannot speak to Verizon, but my DW has MetroPCS (that's going to change) and that I would not depend on at all due to limited coverage regardless of what their coverage map says. Particularly heading West.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #5

As mentioned above, you usually have two options: Campground wifi, or mobile hotspot.

Regarding campground wifi - it usually sucks. Sure, you get a great strong signal and connection to the router, but the campground usually has crummy dog slow service. On top of that, you're usually also fighting everyone else for a piece of that slow connection, and it slows down even further. Because of this, we almost always rely on our mobile hot spots provided by our phone.

Verizon, in my experience, has the broadest coverage. I can get a 3G signal from them most anywhere I go. I'm getting LTE high speed connections at some places now as well!

I cover both of my bases - I'll try the campground wifi and see if it's acceptable before using my expensive cellular data plan. Make sure you have a high enough data plan that you won't go over, because the cell providers love to charge you an exorbitant amount if you go over. Verizon lets me increase my plan through my iPhone via their app if I need to do so, on the fly. We've got 3GB by default, which usually covers us for a 4-5 day trip each month. Two week camping trip? 6GB+. (My wife uses the internet a LOT).

As Bob mentions, another failing of campground wifi is weak signal. Here's the antenna booster to get: Amazon.com: C. Crane US3 Super USB Wifi Antenna 3: Electronics

Yes, there will be folks that tell you to get a router, mod it with software that can extend the campground wifi, and put a big antenna outside. I'm an IT guy, and this method sucked. It was not very productive, and cost a bundle. The little Crane antenna I linked works great. I plug it into my Mac via the USB port, run the software provided, and then share that data coming in through my wifi to our other computers and mobile devices. (Yes, we're nerds, and travel with a lot of gear).

I'll be happy to answer further questions!
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It all depends on where you're going and what you need. AT&T is based off of GSM, Version is based off of CDMA. There's several debates about the validity of these two technologies, but generally I see them as:

GSM:
- Can use both voice and data on phone at same time
- Short distance to a cell tower therefore not as much fringe coverage.

CDMA:
- Can only use voice or data at one time
- Longer distance to a cell tower so better fringe coverage.

If you're using a hotspot device (mifi), I'd go with Verizon, since you should (in theory) get better coverage in the fringes where campgrounds are generally located.

If you're using your smartphone as a hotspot, I'd go with AT&T so you don't get kicked off the internet when a phone call comes in.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the great info. I have 4g coverage with Metro PCS right now, but last weekend at Ft Wilderness at Disney I could not get the hotspot to work and could not connect. At Disney! That made me mad. All I really need it for is internet connection and email, no streaming of large files so I don't think data usage will be a problem. I am checking out AT&T and Verizon hotspots now.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Site Team

I like to keep my cell phone separate so I have mobile broadband with T-Mobile that works for my needs. The cost is low because I am a T-Mobile customer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #9

Hey Red - what is yout IT-pinion of these...read somewhere that this was the "idea" RV solution - not so sure now after seeing what you use (and we are Mac users as well LOL)

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti ROCKETM5 5GHz Hi Power 2x2 MIMO TDMA BaseStation: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Nanostation NSM5, 5GHz, 802.11a/n Hi-power 20 dBm Minimum, 2x2 MIMO AirMax TDMA PoE Station: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Networks NanoStation Window/Wall Mount: Computers & Accessories
Old 06-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Broken Toe

I use PdaNet/FOXFi for my laptop. It lets you use your phones 4G connection with your computer.

I do USB tethering, and its fast enough. I am grandfathered in on ATT unlimited data plan. They can tell if you use FoxFi for a WiFi hotspot, and they will pull your unlimited plan, but they cannot tell if you use USB tethering.

http://www.junefabrics.com/index.php

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Always Learning

I have AT&T and have been in a few areas now where I would have liked to have a booster or something. But, each of those times- the person beside of me had Verizon and had the same crappy # of bars and service, so I'm not positive that changing would have helped.

I used my phone tethered to my laptop for a while. When talking in the fringe areas, the Internet would crap out. It because enough of a problem that I would use my wife's phone for tethering and mine for talking.

I finally broke down and bought a dedicated hotspot. It's much more convenient and you don't have the hassle of service issues if talking + Interneting at the same time (especially if you're making remote desktop connections or screen sharing- which I was doing a lot of at the time). With AT&T Shared Data plans, it's pretty affordable to add.

When traveling, I don't allow streaming music or videos (just my rules- I don't technologically enforce them). I only devices onto my cellular plan that don't have their own data (e.g. my nephew brought a tablet, that I allowed- my niece and her iPhone, I made her use her own data).

I did learn that with automatic iCloud/Dropbox/whatnot backups, you can use a crap ton of data without realizing it. On my devices (and any device that I allow onto my network), I make sure that stuff is turned off. Same with automatic app updates- they get turned off. Most apps can wait the couple of days to week that you're on my network.

While browsing with my PC, I'm getting closer and closer to installing an AdBlocker since video ads are so prolific. We'll see.

I never use campground WiFi.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
Always Learning

I'm not going to discuss/argue this one- this is my comment and I'm leaving it at that.

About the WiFi antenna and grabbing WiFi from distant locations- IMO, the legality/morality of this are fuzzy at best. Just because a network is accessible doesn't necessarily mean you should jump on it. I read once where someone was bragging about using another person's home network and it was fine because there wasn't a password. You don't know if that person/business/whatnot is paying per usage or not; not all home/business plans are unlimited. You could very well be costing them money by using their network.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
OK, I did a forum search and could not find a direct answer. I am lucky enough to be able to work from home or on the road as long as I have a reliable internet connection. I am presently with Metro PCS and it is "ok" but I cant take a chance on being away from work for an extended period when I am out in the RV. What is everyone else using? AT&T, Verizon, etc? I don't mind switching and the cost is not a factor, reliability and dependability on the connection is.
Fulltime RV'r here still working as a web developer. I use Millenicom as our service provider - they offer a 20GB/mo plan for $90. It's Verizon-based, I'm still using a 3G setup but will soon switch to 4G once the 4G boosters are out and reliable.

I also have a WiFi ranger for when I can use campground wifi - but at least 85% of the time I'm using the 3G setup.

I've been doing this for 3 years and it's been relatively easy. Once in a while I'll have to go to a library or move sites to get coverage but overall so long as I plan to be in a somewhat populated area I've been fine.

I pretty much have just followed what Chris and Cheri at RV Mobile Internet Resource Center - WiFi, Cellular, Satellite | Technomadia - they keep on top of the tech much better than I am able to.
Boyink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #14

Was it W.C. Fields who said "never smarten up a chump".

Go with a mifi from Verizon ( big red), if money is not the issue. They have the best nationwide coverage to date. But, others are building out there networks to compete in that facet of the business.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #15

I will speak to this from experience. I am an IT guy and handle over 4000 phones and data cards for the company I work for. Personally I use Verizon and have a Verizon hotspot. I have an AT&T hotspot from work. More often than not when I am camping I have to use my personal Verizon hotspot because I either have a brutally slow AT&T connection on my hotspot or no connectivity at all. I cannot recall a time when my Verizon hotspot did not work. Most times the Verizon hotspot is on 4G, I have yet to get a 4G signal on my AT&T hotspot while camping, it is always 3G or slower.

I do have to add that I am using experiences from Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virgina, Indiana, New York, Michigan, Illinois, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, and Tennessee mostly. So this may be different in other places.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm not going to discuss/argue this one- this is my comment and I'm leaving it at that.

About the WiFi antenna and grabbing WiFi from distant locations- IMO, the legality/morality of this are fuzzy at best. Just because a network is accessible doesn't necessarily mean you should jump on it. I read once where someone was bragging about using another person's home network and it was fine because there wasn't a password. You don't know if that person/business/whatnot is paying per usage or not; not all home/business plans are unlimited. You could very well be costing them money by using their network.
I hear you Doug! I was opining about the so called "free" WIFI like you get at McDonalds or Wendy's or even a muni WIFI (Huntsville is proud of it's free WIFI in the downtown and airport areas). NOT mooching off of some hapless guy who did not know to PW protect his WIFI That is wrong.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post

I use and don't have too many issues. With Verizon. I have iPad, iPhone and a laptop. My husband likes to use Pdanet. This is connect thur his Droid. A couple of years back, it did not use you plan data ...now it does use your plan dAta

When in good RV park with good wifi, I use them for movies, games FB, etc. when I do business I switch to Cellular data.
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #18
Happy Keystone Owner

Had a Sprint hotspot through work until they discontinued the hotspots. It worked ok in most places I went out east. Replaced it with a T-Mobile and it worked pretty good until I got out here in Colorado. I get a connection less than 40% of the places I've been out here.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #19

We have Verizon. It just works. No need to say more.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
I will speak to this from experience. I am an IT guy and handle over 4000 phones and data cards for the company I work for. Personally I use Verizon and have a Verizon hotspot. I have an AT&T hotspot from work. More often than not when I am camping I have to use my personal Verizon hotspot because I either have a brutally slow AT&T connection on my hotspot or no connectivity at all. I cannot recall a time when my Verizon hotspot did not work. Most times the Verizon hotspot is on 4G, I have yet to get a 4G signal on my AT&T hotspot while camping, it is always 3G or slower.

I do have to add that I am using experiences from Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virgina, Indiana, New York, Michigan, Illinois, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, and Tennessee mostly. So this may be different in other places.
2X this. I've gotten similar feedback from my colleague that manages our firms phones and cell plans. (I'm the computer guy)
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote