Old 07-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #21

You didn't mention TV reception, but the Keys state parks have none of that either. None

Old 07-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #22

Hotspots

More and more, campgrounds are realizing the benefits of adequate internet service. They are using Xfinity, Camplink, or other services to provide on site internet access through hotspots. In addition, most Walmarts have free internet for those who use Camp Walmart on their travels.
The secret to getting adequate or better service is using an external wifi antenna. Many electronics store have them, and they are listed on Amazon.Com.
My recommendation is one by Dreamworks. It's about the size of a book, and comes with a desk stand and a 25 ft usb line. Prices are around $40. I find that having it outside the unit works better, so I removed the desk mount and put it on a piece of plastic conduit pipe. I attach it to my mirror and aim it at the tower. In most cases, it works well enough to use Skype on my PC or stream TV shows. When parked at Walmart, I can get a signal from 400 feet away. Sometimes it helps if you connect a second pipe to gain height.
In camps where the nternet connection is located at the lodge, you can often get on site access if you have line of site access.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #23

Hi, We have a Verizon Jet Pack and the data is so expensive. We have to keep adding gigs. I am a freelance writer and the Internet is invaluable to me. We have purchased several boosters to no avail. We are currently parked for 4 months in Ohio. We called Warner Cable and because there is Internet in the area they are able to install month Internet month this week. This may not be much help for you if you are only someplace for a few weeks. It is an ongoing problem with us. Verizon makes it almost cost prohibited with the Jet Pack. This month I used 25 gigs. I'm writing this on my last 1/2 gig and we don't roll over until the 9th. I wish there was a clear cut solution to this problem.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #24

I use unlimited wifi as I travel all over the US. If you want info on it feel free to email me and I will send you the info, price and how to set it up. Travelingemt@gmail.com
Old 07-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
I wish there was a clear cut solution to this problem.
There is. Go for an unlimited plan.

I talk about how, here:
Learn To RV: Mobile Internet on the Road
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #26

An update - i purchased a used Jetpack on eBay, $40 - contacted one of the eBay sellers @ $120 per month for unlimited data - the process was super simple, using it as we speak. In good areas we are able to work on VPN`s etc and the kids are on Youtube or playing that silly Minecraft game - so all in all my experience thus far has been a happy one.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #27

Do you have to have a business name to get one off of eBay. I read some time that you do.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #28

No business name needed!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Do you have to have a business name to get one off of eBay. I read some time that you do.

Not any longer, no.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
An update - i purchased a used Jetpack on eBay, $40 - contacted one of the eBay sellers @ $120 per month for unlimited data - the process was super simple, using it as we speak. In good areas we are able to work on VPN`s etc and the kids are on Youtube or playing that silly Minecraft game - so all in all my experience thus far has been a happy one.
This is exactly what I did, I signed a 1 year contract to keep it at $120 a month because when I signed up, it didn't state how long it would stay at that price. I ordered it on Ebay had the SIM in 2 days and is has been working great so far. I have had as high as 30mb Down and 6mb up. Right now I have 2-3 bars of LTE and I get 6mb down and 4mb up, although today there have been a couple of slow downs that corrected themselves in a 1/2 hour or so. I am guessing one of the cell towers got overloaded... Anyway, very happy with it too.

2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote