Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #21

You didn't mention TV reception, but the Keys state parks have none of that either. None
beckijean66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #22

Hotspots

More and more, campgrounds are realizing the benefits of adequate internet service. They are using Xfinity, Camplink, or other services to provide on site internet access through hotspots. In addition, most Walmarts have free internet for those who use Camp Walmart on their travels.
The secret to getting adequate or better service is using an external wifi antenna. Many electronics store have them, and they are listed on Amazon.Com.
My recommendation is one by Dreamworks. It's about the size of a book, and comes with a desk stand and a 25 ft usb line. Prices are around $40. I find that having it outside the unit works better, so I removed the desk mount and put it on a piece of plastic conduit pipe. I attach it to my mirror and aim it at the tower. In most cases, it works well enough to use Skype on my PC or stream TV shows. When parked at Walmart, I can get a signal from 400 feet away. Sometimes it helps if you connect a second pipe to gain height.
In camps where the nternet connection is located at the lodge, you can often get on site access if you have line of site access.
Paulred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #23

Hi, We have a Verizon Jet Pack and the data is so expensive. We have to keep adding gigs. I am a freelance writer and the Internet is invaluable to me. We have purchased several boosters to no avail. We are currently parked for 4 months in Ohio. We called Warner Cable and because there is Internet in the area they are able to install month Internet month this week. This may not be much help for you if you are only someplace for a few weeks. It is an ongoing problem with us. Verizon makes it almost cost prohibited with the Jet Pack. This month I used 25 gigs. I'm writing this on my last 1/2 gig and we don't roll over until the 9th. I wish there was a clear cut solution to this problem.
ktalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #24

I use unlimited wifi as I travel all over the US. If you want info on it feel free to email me and I will send you the info, price and how to set it up. Travelingemt@gmail.com
travelingemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
I wish there was a clear cut solution to this problem.
There is. Go for an unlimited plan.

I talk about how, here:
Learn To RV: Mobile Internet on the Road
Old 07-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #26

An update - i purchased a used Jetpack on eBay, $40 - contacted one of the eBay sellers @ $120 per month for unlimited data - the process was super simple, using it as we speak. In good areas we are able to work on VPN`s etc and the kids are on Youtube or playing that silly Minecraft game - so all in all my experience thus far has been a happy one.
GeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #27

Do you have to have a business name to get one off of eBay. I read some time that you do.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #28

No business name needed!
GeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Do you have to have a business name to get one off of eBay. I read some time that you do.

Not any longer, no.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
An update - i purchased a used Jetpack on eBay, $40 - contacted one of the eBay sellers @ $120 per month for unlimited data - the process was super simple, using it as we speak. In good areas we are able to work on VPN`s etc and the kids are on Youtube or playing that silly Minecraft game - so all in all my experience thus far has been a happy one.
This is exactly what I did, I signed a 1 year contract to keep it at $120 a month because when I signed up, it didn't state how long it would stay at that price. I ordered it on Ebay had the SIM in 2 days and is has been working great so far. I have had as high as 30mb Down and 6mb up. Right now I have 2-3 bars of LTE and I get 6mb down and 4mb up, although today there have been a couple of slow downs that corrected themselves in a 1/2 hour or so. I am guessing one of the cell towers got overloaded... Anyway, very happy with it too.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #31

Only need internet for emails, paying bills, or wiewing webpages

Murelene and I have T-mobile as our cell phone provider. we have an ancient family plan that gives us 5 gig high speed a month and unlimited low speed after that. We have never even come close to using our 5 gig. The only problem with the plan is that we have 50 meg of roaming data per month and once that is used we are cut off. At least we don't get huge phone bills this way.

We have Xfinity as our home internet provider which gives us unlimited high speed internet anywhere we can access an xfinity hotspot, which is most major cities. Of course then there is fee wi-fi at most restaurants, walmarts, Sams Clubs, Home Depots, etc so about the only place that we have problems accessing the net is in rural areas.

My solution

a $50 Straight Talk 4g LTE Wi-FI hotspot using the AT&T network, which I have come to find in most every rural area that we have visited in the past. I know this because T-Moble uses the AT&T network for roaming.

Straight Talk is a pay as play Wi-Fi. the price 1Gig for $15 or 2Gig for $25 to use within 30 days, no roll overs. Which is plenty for the basic necessities.

We travel in an RV to enjoy the outdoors and visit places, NOT to see how many gigs of data we can use up every month.

remember 1GiG is 250 four meg photos!!!!
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #32

Unlimited Verizon

If anyone has a need for a Verizon Unlimited data plan, I have access to a few either to rent or to acquire. Send me a PM for more details. Thanks
undr60 is offline   Reply With Quote