Old 06-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

Internet Connectivity and Availability

Hey Guys and Girls

Off to the FL Keys for 20 days in 2 weeks time. We`re starting at Pennenkamp and moving South every 4/5 days ending up in Key West. I have been reading many posts on here that suggests that State Parks in general dont have internet or if they do, its limited to the business center or something to that effect. So to eliminate the range issue i can purchase a nano Station 2 and resolve it. Even though i now have signal i might still have terrible bandwidth, because after all, it is a State Park.

In addition to extending the wifi range on offer, im looking into getting something like the Jetpack from Verizon, my only concern is data. Are there packages out there offering unlimited data? Secondly, what has your experience been like camping in the keys from a signal perspective? Do i also need to look at a 4G booster?

Thought and comments appreciated.

Cheers for now

Old 06-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Wow, there are so many variables to consider, I don't know quite where to begin to answer your question.

First of all, you need to determine your real "NEED" versus "WANT" for a system. If you really need a system because you operate a business, etc., then you need to evaluate systems based on that need. However, if you just want a system to do internet browsing, email, etc., then that's a whole different story. Basically, the more bandwidth you NEED, the more you are going to pay for it. Regardless of the type of internet connection, you won't do much streaming video. Maybe a couple of YouTubes, but not many Netflix movies.

All the major (and most minor) cell providers also have a data plan. Wireless data plan from the cell providers is a lot less expensive that other options. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc. all have data options, whether using your smart phone or through a MiFi type device. You need to examine where you are likely to camp, and start with carriers that cover that area. For example, in the West, Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage with Verizon leading the pack. On the East Coast, I hear that T-Mobile has good coverage in many areas. Beware of any carrier that advertises "UNLIMITED" data, because no one really has that - for most "unlimited" plans you see your internet slow to a crawl as you go past a certain amount of data, and end up no better than dial up speed.

If you really NEED internet, then satellite is the only way to go. Regardless of where you are, if you can see the southern sky, you can setup your satellite internet. The hardware is costly and the service levels cost many $$$. Before wireless data became available, I had the satellite internet service to access my business. Very costly.

If connection speed is not an issue, then there are a few providers that have an "unlimited" plan on 3G service. But, I assume you would want 4GLTE service that will give you the best speed possible.

Other questions to answer would include how many devices do you want to have internet access, do you want a printer shared between connections, will you have 120v electrical available continuously, etc.

After you determine the best method for your wants and needs, then we can start suggesting hardware and software to provide you with the best internet service.

2016 Sunseeker 3050DS towing 2006 Hummer H3

WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:14 AM   #3

I answer those exact questions here:

http://www.learntorv.com/2016/04/mob...t-on-road.html

And here:
http://www.learntorv.com/2016/04/cel...rks-oh-my.html

Cliff notes:
- yes, unlimited plans exist. you can either lease or buy one.
- yes, boosters can help BUT it's hard to tell if you need one until you're there. If you have Amazon prime, that's fairly easily solved in a few days. But that might be too long depending on your needs.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:05 AM   #4

I mentioned this in another thread but if you have an android phone, you can buy an app in the app store called FoxFi. It will unlock the use of your phone's wifi hotspot without having to pay a monthly fee to your carrier. Any data used through FoxFi will be billed against your monthly data allowance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
So to eliminate the range issue i can purchase a nano Station 2 and resolve it
this signal is line of sight and trees and leaves do NOT let signal past...

if you can see the signal source then this will work, BUT... probably cannot see the source for the trees

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I mentioned this in another thread but if you have an android phone, you can buy an app in the app store called FoxFi. It will unlock the use of your phone's wifi hotspot without having to pay a monthly fee to your carrier. Any data used through FoxFi will be billed against your monthly data allowance.
Just use your phone as a hot spot.

No fuss, no muss.
Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #7

Using Cell Phone as Hot Spot

It is really easy to use your cell phone (iPhone anyway) as a hot spot but note that you can burn through your data plan on your cell phone VERY quickly. If you have an unlimited data plan on your cell phone it's not so much of a problem. If you have a limited data plan, such as 5 gigs/month, be careful and watch your data usage so you don't get socked with a huge bill from your carrier.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
Site Team

The major carriers have caught on to this and will not download it. You can find a direct download and install, but the newer versions of Android will not run it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:41 AM   #9

Internet Connectivity and Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The major carriers have caught on to this and will not download it. You can find a direct download and install, but the newer versions of Android will not run it.

I have the latest Android version and it runs just fine and it is available in the Google app store.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #10

Regarding foxfi, look at your agreement with your carrier. This might be against your agreement.

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote