Old 04-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #31
Speed control

Use it every time we go. Holds steady at 62. Makes us HAPPY, relaxed, campers 😀. Miles roll by and scenery is noticed. Morning coffee is great😬

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #32
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Agree with Old Coot and Boo Boo.
Us also! Youroo!!

youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #33
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I prefer to use the Interstate highways. I drive between 62 Ė 65 MPH and havenít had anyone try to run up my rear end yet. This includes the Interstate highways with a 75 MPH speed limit. Iíve been RVing and driving like this since 2003. I donít like state roads because of all the towns and light signals you encounter.
+1 on this. State roads with the towns and stoplights are a PITA, at least to me, plus it's harder on your rig with all the braking. The interstate is (semi)controlled, constant speed, everyone going the same direction, no one trying to turn left in front of you. This is why I always prefer riding the bike on the interstate--no one is going to turn left in front of me at a light like they do on state roads! The trip from PA to FL was all interstate except for one 50 mile stretch, and I wouldn't have done it any other way. People in a hurry can go around you.
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #34
I think to some of us its all about the destination and others its more about the journey. We love exploring new areas, checking out the scenery, and the slower speeds of the state highways and even the stoplights and stop signs don't bother us. But we'll drive 50 miles out of our way to get around big cities.
StoneyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #35
What used to take us 3 days travel time now takes us 7 days. I travel at 60-65 mph but stop a lot sooner and go between 250- 360 miles a day. When we do go out west I take I75 N in Mich. to St. Ignace and get on #2 hwy. Go to #41 up to Marquette get on hwy 28 west and go to Wakefield, Mi and back onto #2 to Shelby, Montana and then up to Canada and the Rockies. The roads are mostly 2 lane but do changed to 4 lane, depending on the State. Speed limit in Mich. is 50 mph but I still do 60. Other states can vary from 60 - 65. The route is scenic and besides I will never, ever go through Chicago again. Two lane hwys aren't bad but in Montana, #2 doesn't have shoulders to pull over on if you have to. If someone comes up on us on a 2 lane, I move over to the right side of the lane so they can see past me, to pass if they want. Sure lots of small towns but we aren't in that great a hurry anymore.
Pipeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #36
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
We do a mix of roads. We use the Interstate for all the (good) reasons already mentioned. I drive 63 and this "makes a hole" in front of me that I drive into.
Since we can't take advantage of the Interstate's higher speeds, we often use larger federal routes if the distance is shorter than using the Interstate. A 4-lane, divided highway with a 60mph speed limit is just the ticket as long as it doesn't take you down a town's shopping corridor.
My wife likes the consistency and predictability of services along an interstate so if we're headed somewhere new to us, we're on ol' I-sumpn'nother.
Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #37
We found 85 mph in parts of Texas. On our 7000 mile trip,this winter to the Fla Keys and back bar none the worst drivers were in Homestead, Fla.

RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote