Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebenz View Post
Correct, those are great products but require a wifi connection and configuration. The idea with this guy is that it small, simple and you don't have to mess with it our configure anything. Just plug it in and theory you only mess with it when you want to remotely check or it lets you know something went wrong.
Really?? So how does it communicate with what? There are only so many ways to wirelessly send a signal. CB radios, Ham, walkie talkie, cellular, two tin cans and a string maybe?
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
Yea my only concern as mentioned above is poor or no wifi connection. Most parks in NC and especially the mountain areas have no service. Now if it could be monitored through a cell phone and send info to another cell phone we could leave one at the camper and take another with us. However some mountain campgrounds we've stayed at also don't get cell service but usually can still get out text. If that could be figured out it could be more feasible.
That's what I think I am really solving with this product. It doesn't relay on spotty wi-fi signals. It works over cellular networks and requires very little bandwidth and can work with poor reception.

Of course....if you are in area with no cell coverage at all this wouldn't work. Solving that exact problem would require a satellite solution and I think that would be a little too pricey
thebenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn52627 View Post
It is not so much insulation, but if your trailer is at 70 degrees and it is 95 degrees outside, how long will it take for it to get dangerous inside for the pets? I would think that since they are insulated it would take a little while and I am sure you don't leave the pets for over 8 hours. Just curious about this. My husband won't let me bring the poodles since he doesn't think they would like it. He thinks they prefer being home alone with his mom letting them out a couple of times a day. (I think they would prefer to be with us)

I've seen temperatures raising fairly fast in a travel trailer with the AC turned off. Enough to where it makes me uneasy.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #44

As a data point to consider. My Arlo home security system does not require ANY monthly fee and the app is free. The cost of the camera and Wi-Fi repeater isn't real cheap, but it works great and no monthly fee.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Budreau View Post
Is it possible to build one of these myself. If so could you send me the info. Thanks.
You can piece together some hardware pretty easy for something like this but writing the software that manages the alerts and features is where the work comes in.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
Really?? So how does it communicate with what? There are only so many ways to wirelessly send a signal. CB radios, Ham, walkie talkie, cellular, two tin cans and a string maybe?
Instead of using wifi, it communicates with cellular towers.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #47

Quote:
As a data point to consider. My Arlo home security system does not require ANY monthly fee and the app is free. The cost of the camera and Wi-Fi repeater isn't real cheap, but it works great and no monthly fee.
I do something similar at home (with a different brand) that doesn't require any monthly fee. Doing a system like that in a RV takes a little more work. At home, you have a nice fast internet connection to rely on. In an RV, you have to provide your own data connection. I don't believe park wi-fi is reliable enough to stream video.

Also, streaming video requires a lot of bandwidth. My gizmo only sends kilobytes of data instead of megabytes and gigabytes. That means it work well in low signal strength areas.

Oh....and I'm also not saying there aren't other ways to skin a cat! I just think my little gizmo might be a pain free way for people who aren't technically adept have a little piece of mind. All you have to do to use it is now how to install apps.

As far as the monthly cost to cover that cellular data it uses, I think a $5/month plan isn't bad considering that you are only spending it during the months when you are out in the RV. You don't have to pay it every month. I think the price of a cheeseburger when out on the road isn't too much for a little piece of mind.

That's my .02
Old 03-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #48

Alright, for all those interested I'm going to reach out with more details in the near future. I've built 5 test devices so far that I've had with my family and friends. Let me put a few more together and see what kind of feedback I get from forum friends!
Old 03-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #49

A quick google search and you will find many solutions that include temp alerts to your phone.

Here is one example. RV Guardian®: Wireless Security System for RVs / Vehicles - Guardian Systems - Products
Old 03-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #50

Quote:
A quick google search and you will find many solutions that include temp alerts to your phone.

Here is one example. RV Guardian®: Wireless Security System for RVs / Vehicles - Guardian Systems - Products
Yes sir, that is a nice $695 system. I'm going for something a lot simpler and cheaper than that! I'm not saying there aren't other ways to solve this problem. I do think I'm on to something simple though!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #51
boatman

Camp with 3 puppies, would be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #52

Just what I'm looking for.

Very interested! In addition to monitoring high temps, my brother was looking for a freeze warning system as well. Would have been used in a cottage in the middle of nowhere. If alarm tripped, he'd call a neighbor and have them check on the cottage for him.
It's a great idea! Let me know if you need a beta tester.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #53

We'd love to see something like this since we just brought a new puppy into our house and camp a lot the spring/summer/fall seasons.

Would this work without being plugged in? We do tend to do about 50% dry camping. If it has a rechargeable internal battery we could always recharge when we get back to the rig using the truck.

A really sweet add on (for me) ... battery voltage monitoring.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #54

Sounds great I always have my dog with us, and always worry, I would be glad to be a BETA TESTER for you good luck.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1 View Post
Would this work without being plugged in? We do tend to do about 50% dry camping. If it has a rechargeable internal battery we could always recharge when we get back to the rig using the truck.
Thanks!
I'm currently getting around 24hrs of usage on the backup battery so that could work for that scenario! I'm definitely interested in testing in different setups like what you are talking about.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #56

Sweet! There are 7 families that we camp with and we all have dogs, from crazy puppies to the old crotchety kind (but part of the family none the less) so something like this would settle a few nerves.

Might it even be "portable"? As if it isn't already. Like when the dog, or I suppose cat , stays in the truck while we eat dinner somewhere. It's be nice to know what's happening inside the truck.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #57

We're interested, We have four dogs that travel between our two couples. They go with us a lot but sometimes they just aren't able and have to stay in their very nice 40' doghouse.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #58
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It sounds like a device with a lot of promise.
I appreciate folks like you who thinks things through and then bring these things to life.
Please keep us posted as to your progress.
I'll be very interested in the outcome.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:12 AM   #59

This sounds like a good idea- because this is a huge fear of mine! The temperature inside your vehicle can rise almost 20ş F in just 10 minutes. In 20 minutes, it can rise almost 30ş F...and the longer you wait, the higher it goes. At 60 minutes, the temperature in your vehicle can be more than 40 degrees higher than the outside temperature. Even on a 70-degree day, that's 110 degrees inside.
beaglesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #60

I would be interested in testing this device as well.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent