Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #21
Site Team

The size of the standard TV / TT Aux wire combined with the length of the aux wire result in a voltage drop that usually at best provides sufficient power to overcome the parasitic draws. If you upgrade the gauge of the wire you can get some improvement. If your fridge/ inverter consuming 800W, you will be drawing 0ver 60A from the Battery. If you assume the fridge runs 33% of the time, you need about 20A added to the battery while driving. If the resistance in the path from the TV fuse block to the battery is one tenth ohm, you will lose 2V so the voltage from the TV to the battery will be at best 12V.
Unless you upgrade the wire significantly the TT battery will not be charged when running the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just that depleted batteries may not get fully charged.
You need to test your 7 pin connector, for how much juice is coming from the charge wire.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
when you say the refrigerator must have its own breaker... I think I am correct in this but please let me know if I am not. we have travelled all day with the residential refrigerator powered by the inverter and the charge from the tow vehicle and have not lost battery power. plus when we disconnect there is battery power for the landing gear, slides, etc.
No, there is a single breaker for the reefer that connects to the transfer switch, as does the inverter and the outlet for the reefer. The transfer switch senses if there is power on the breaker and drops the inverter feed and connects the outlet to the breaker. When the power disappears, it drops the breaker feed and switches to the output of the inverter. usually a nice Xantrex box with three wires, one for the breaker, one for the outlet and one with a plug that plugs into the inverter. When it drops the inverter there is no load and you can continue to power it anyway.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Good information for someone new to a "residential fridge" and invertor. I have two batteries in my camper. Do you feel like the trickle charge from tow vehicle would keep up and charge the batteries enough, or on a long trip would you run danger of the batteries dying out?

No I think two batteries plus the truck will keep the residential refrigerator running just fine. With the residential refrigerator you don't have to have camper level and you don't have to worry when you go through a tunnel. We like ours and the ice maker
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #24

Residential refrigerator is the 2nd bestest thing about this new fangled trailer.

I have yet to drive far enough that the refrigerator lost even one degree of temp after a full day of transit.

(Another reason I ain't too keen on parking lots.......but have no issue with those that do like 'em).

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter