Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #21

I find it better to keep my eyes on a landmark point on the hood when going through tight construction sites. I forget about mirrors, cameras, all of those things because looking at anything other than straight ahead can make you veer toward where you're looking ( left or right) and hit something. It's just human nature to go where you're looking. In fact they teach that bery thing in motorcycle classes.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #22

I agree that anything that adds awareness is a good thing. Is this for your Rockwood?
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #23
StlClay

We love our rear view camera, even though we are only towing 21' trailer. We had strap on mirrors and don't even use them anymore

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #24

"BUMPER HUMPER" that's a good one and I will have to start using it. I wish I had a backup/obersavation camera, even with the best mirrors I know there are blind spots. That is why truckers have the warnings on the back saying if you cannot see my mirrors, I can not see you.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #25

I have read somewhere that some states will issue a ticket for not having "towing" mirrors on the towing vehicle.
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
For a 25' trailer? No. Just get better mirrors for your tow vehicle.
I'd agree with that in part but I have a Truck Camper that is shorter than 25 feet and I find my Furrion rear view camera a very useful item to have for things like lane changes and to see who is tailgating you and in my case backing up.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #27
Forest River 26FKBS

I have the observational camera that can be on while driving. It is fabulous for just knowing what's going on behind you. I've got the mirrors but this camera is the best. And my TT is only a 23'-er. Give me peace of mind that I'm not missing anything moving forward or backing up!
trumpetmood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #28

Seeing all the likes on watching what's already behind the vehicle while driving kind of surprises me. I guess I'm old school to use mirrors. But after 43 years driving over a million miles with ZERO accidents I'm sticking to the old school way of driving. 😊
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #29

There is always a blind spot behind the camper that a mirror will never be able to show you. We have pulled a cargo trailer across country for several years and we never felt comfortable. I added a Rear View Safety camera system to the back of the trailer and viewed it through an in-dash head unit. We could now see vehicles in our wind stream that previously were "invisible". That made a tremendous difference when attempting to change lanes and the "invisible" vehicle made the same move. Another advantage was making lane changes when passing. If the full front view of the vehicle in the adjoining lane was visible, it was safe to change lanes. It also let us know if a fast approaching vehicle directly to our rear was making the same lane change that we were anticipating.

The same advantages have held true on our Sunseeker MH. It has even more advantages when pulling a toad or boat. We also have one on our Silverado.

To clarify the terminology, a backup camera only works when the vehicle is in reverse. A rear view camera works all of the time, though on different circuits. A hard wired system, installed properly, is pretty bulletproof. However, Furion makes a very good wireless system. Wireless in the sense that the video is wireless. It still needs 12 volt wiring to power. That can be done off a marker light, but the running lights will have to be on to function. The cameras we use have 170 degree viewing angle. To answer your question, there is no one option you could consider that will increase your driving safety and peace of mind.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #30

I always have my camera on. While I drive, I am continuously looking at my camera and mirrors keeping an eye on everything going on around me. Particularly helpful when driving in traffic or city driving. Of course, I travel solo and so having the extra camera "eye" helps me greatly.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #31

I was taught to check my rear view mirror often while driving. That's hard to do in a 34' MH, so my observation camera serves as my rear view mirror. I'm not fixated on it, but definitely feel more secure with the option.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

While I don't use the rear camera for anything other than keeping an eye on my toad/trailer, I rely most on my side cameras for lane changes. Without those I definitely would have taken out a few small cars. There is a certain spot that the passenger side mirror will not pick up a small compact car, but the camera shows it in full view. I check mirror, operate turn signal, check camera, then change lanes. It helps to get into the habit now that our vehicles have side cameras also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote