Old 01-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
Finally someone who does the numbers!

I have 2 buddies who have gone back to gas this fall after crunching the numbers. We have friends who only look at the costs of diesel and not the additional maintenance costs, they claim that they are the same whether you're driving either vehicle, hmmm.

Other people will claim higher resale values, let's see if that holds true in the next year or two if the cost difference of diesel stays where it is.

One of my buddies above who switched to a gasser did so partly because he'd stripped the pollution shite off of his '16 truck and while touring the east coast this summer got pulled into the chicken coupe and had his exhaust probed, he failed the test and was fined but allowed to continue as he was out-of province. To make matters worse, when he tried to safety the truck for private resale the service shop wouldn't do it without reinstalling the pollution controls, so he traded-in the truck and lost several thousand dollars in doing so. On his first service of his gasser the salesman told him they sent the truck through the auction instead of saftying it themselves (they had missed the missing controls when doing the trade-in).

I'm not sure about the States but going into other jurisdictions in some areas here in Canada you come under local rules for vehicles and regulations.

Just some thoughts.

Geoff
Crunching the numbers only matters if the numbers matter to ya. To some folks it does, to others it doesn't. I still haven't seen the astronomical differences in Maintenance everyone talks about.. 3 oil changes in a year for my 6.4 Hemi, vs one oil change for my Diesel based on my mileage, Fuel filters are cheap and take 20 minutes to change, def fluid is a barely any money, axle and transfer cases pretty much have the same interval, tranny I think has more frequent changes with the diesel ( I think, I read that somewhere, could be mistaken) .. But then again one would think something thats designed to tow extremely heavy. Brakes should last longer with the diesel by a fair margin provided you use the EB, I suppose tie-rods, ball joints, suspension etc would be roughly the same. I don't know, I have friends with Gassers who love them, I have friends with diesels who love them, pretty much everyone I know in any vehicle of either fuel type has pretty trouble free ownership experience.
I think if you don't need or feel the need for a diesel then it may be best to avoid it, if my Rv had stayed about 2K lighter, OR I wasn't towing it in pretty hilly terrain on the norm, then I would personally probably stick with a gasser.

ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #262

While I would be pleased to see the cost of diesel come closer to that of gas, (like it was around 2003) the costs and maintenance of the diesel isn't a consideration for me. I enjoy the absolute effortless power of my truck pulling whatever I want to hook to it. Uphill or down, makes no difference, never in a strain. If the truck isn't in a strain, then neither am I!

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post

I'm not sure about the States but going into other jurisdictions in some areas here in Canada you come under local rules for vehicles and regulations.

Just some thoughts.

Geoff
Not in the states! If you're legal in your state, you're legal in all of them. Just don't move there if your truck isn't legal in that state. My state (Georgia) has emissions on Gassers but not on Diesels! They're exempt!!!

Yet another reason to stay out of Canada!!

Nice thing about the 6.0 is it's pretty easy to just disable the EGR and leave it in there. Bulletproof Diesel makes a good EGR Cooler so that makes it pretty tempting to just leave it on.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Well if you recall years back diesel was cheaper than gas. And as I said not going out to buy one just cause fuel is cheap ether. Only way I'd ever consider a diesel is if I upgraded my tt to a 5th wheel in the 14000# range now its a necessity I have a tt that weighs more than what your towing so unless your planing to up grade why a diesel. As said here paying 9 grand more takes a long time to recoup the cost and no more miles that I tow I probably be to old to drive anymore Oh besides I don't keep trucks that long either. Later RJD
I never bought the diesel with the thoughts of having to recoup the 9K...I'm sure most who go that route dont think that either I had a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 and lived on the West Coast I hated the screaming that motor did climbing hills in the Rockies and the Sierras that combined with 8mpg and a 26 gallon tank and having to look for gas at around 200 miles....So when that truck was stolen that was my opportunity to get the diesel and since then I never looked back towing is effortless fuel mileage is 4-5 mpg better creating a much better range and when I need fuel I just pull in the truck lane....

Took my wife's Ford Explorer in for service and was looking around the lot and saw a new 2019 Expedition on the lot and it was 85K MSRP it didn't have a diesel in it how does one justify in recouping that without a 9k diesel option
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
While I would be pleased to see the cost of diesel come closer to that of gas, (like it was around 2003) the costs and maintenance of the diesel isn't a consideration for me. I enjoy the absolute effortless power of my truck pulling whatever I want to hook to it. Uphill or down, makes no difference, never in a strain. If the truck isn't in a strain, then neither am I!
X2....On That I feel the same way. I wonder if it makes you feel as good as the guy's that tow with a Hensley or Propride ?
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #266

I bought a used '10 Escalade ESV Premium 3 yrs ago w/72k on the clock.for 24k... It was a 85k vehicle when new. Folks whine and moan about some extra maintenance on an older Diesel vehicle.. that's nothing compared to the depreciation they're paying on that new one!

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
diesel