Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #21

Dometic surprizingly authorized onsite service call charge of $75 for mine. I was willing to pay as it would have required me driving 120 miles and day off work to get it in for the recall - so the $75 was a bargain. When Terry of Terry's RV (Tappahanoch, VA) showed up he said they authorized the payment to him - and I owed him nothing. Nice to find honest guy - I would have gladly paid him again.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #22
Site Team

Once you've demanded and gotten yours replaced please let us know so we
can follow in your footsteps.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #23

We had good service from Dometic. When I called them on our new camper,they were very nice. Told me our fridge was on the recall list and who to take it to near me. Was fixed with no questions and paid for by Dometic. Good experience.
choice spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
My fridge quit working on AC power, but it works on gas. Does that have anything to do with the recall that I never got???? Randy
Probably not.
You could have 120v breaker tripped or loose wire on the 120v side
or burned out heater element.
LP Gas operation is 12v and independent from the 120v side.

If you've got any type circuit tester you can open the outside refrigerator
hatch and see the 120v outlet that your refer is plugged into.
Test the outlet to be sure you have power there.
You can simply plug a light or fan into it to test it.

Good luck!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #25

Hi all, new poster here.
First to Walk the Walk. You should not have had to pay ANYTHING for recall. You should call Dometic and give them the name of the repair shop that did your job. Good chance they got paid twice, once by Dometic and once by you.
Dometic demands no payment be collected by authorized repair shops for this recall.

Rich
rpfan3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfan3460 View Post
Hi all, new poster here.
First to Walk the Walk. You should not have had to pay ANYTHING for recall. You should call Domestic and give them the name of the repair shop that did your job. Good chance they got paid twice, once by Dometic and once by you.
Domestic demands no payment be collected by authorized repair shops for this recall.

Rich
You are 100% right, there should be no pay out, as a matter of fact the Dealers already knows what units need the mod, all they have to do is submit it to the Manufacture. From what I understand this is a precautionary repair, not that any thing has happen to anyone's unit. I commend Domestic for this recall, some one is actually using there head for somthing other then a hat rack. Why wait for someone to get hurt before changes are made.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #27
Wildwood LE 29RGSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
My fridge quit working on AC power, but it works on gas. Does that have anything to do with the recall that I never got???? Randy
08flagvlite,

Mine is doing the exact same thing! If I turn it on electric everything thaws out. Gas.....no problem! This is driving me CRAZY!

What did you finally do?

Also, I took the outside cover off and I have not had the fix-it done apparently because I do not have the big metal plate like the one in the picture above.

HOWEVER........there is a very thin blue wire on the left side side that has the terminal broken off and not connected to anything. It is just hanging there. Being so thin I presume it is part the 12v system. I suspect this may be the problem.

Any thought by anyone?
bmbsqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #28

Post a piture of the blue wire - perhaps someone can tell you where to reattch it. Where does other end go? My guess it to run on AC voltage it takes some of the 12V circuitry too.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #29
Wildwood LE 29RGSS

Dometic has been a total a-hole to me. They refuse to pay the mobile service fee because I scheduled the service not them. I will never buy another rig with a Dometic fridge or any other appliance.
bmbsqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #30

Thermal Switch for Dometic RM182A Refrigerator

Any idea where to purchase a NO thermal switch for the condenser fins on the back of my Dometic in an '81 Vanagon?

Want something that switches on (closes) at about 120 - 125 F and off (open) when cooled to about 100-110 F.

That or go to a manual switch to sleep at night or when parked for a long time and don't want to run down the aux battery.

Replaced the old switch with a new one when changing out the burnt 28 yo fan. However this switch goes on at 90 degrees F and off at the same temp. Cycles when the ambient temp is cool; however stays on most of the time out here in the Mojavi Desert.

Manuals for an RM182B say (2nd manual best w/off at 108 & on at 126 F):

Service Manual for Dometic RM182B Refrigerator, Page 4 (Edit 2, Aug 1982)
Ventilator (Cooling Fan)
In order to improve the cooling performance under the difficult built-in situation and high ambient temperatures, a 0.6 W ventilator (fan) is switched on automatically when the temperature around the condenser fins (behind the refrigerator reaches 140 F and switched off at 124 F.
or
Refrigerator Model RM182B Van Fridge, Page 2, Para 5, b), 12 volts DC
In order to improve ... is about 126 F and switched off at 108 F.

Phil
Phil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #31

Not being a smartaa$$, but I would think an appliance parts store would have what you are looking for. Try a clothes dryer thermo if nothing comes out to be what you are looking for. They came in all kinds of ranges for the different cycles and air locations.
You might also try a manually adjustable thermo for an aftermarket electric fan for a car.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #32

The local RV dealer had to travel to our parked TT in the deep woods to install this recall. It took him about an hour to do it, and it cost me $40 or $50 for the travel charge. The fix seems like a jury-rigged effort by Dometic, and I fail to see how it does much, but if it lowers the risk of a fire in the middle of the night, it's worth the effort.

As for not being there, I NEVER let anyone work on my home or RV if I am not there - it's an open invitation to get sloppy work IMHO.

Anyway, if you can find someone to drive out there, it's worth the extra $$ for the peace of mind alone.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #33

I just bought a 2003 Wildwood M-30FKSS today and 'stumbled' on the recall on a 'Lemon Law' web page. I have no idea if the repair has been made on my TT or how to determine 'proof positive' what it's status is. Any suggestions?
n3gag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #34

Our trailer was also used when purchased, but only for one year, and the recall had just come out at that time,,they do take alot of information when you call dometic, which includes the serial number, I would think that if yours was already fixed that it would be in there system...dont know that for sure, just assuming that is how it works, I personally had a very good experience in having ours repaired, called dometic told them it was on a permanent spot, couldnt be moved, they gave me listings of who was servicing that area, I called made the appt and they came out in a very short amount of time, fixed it, and charged me nothing...and we about 30 minuted out from the closest dealer..hope this helps out..
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3gag View Post
I just bought a 2003 Wildwood M-30FKSS today and 'stumbled' on the recall on a 'Lemon Law' web page. I have no idea if the repair has been made on my TT or how to determine 'proof positive' what it's status is. Any suggestions?
If you look on page #1 on this thread and check #3 post you will see what what the repairs look like. If yours do not look like this then it has not been done.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #36

What is the recall # or models involved ??
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #37

Go to this website: http://www2.dometicusa.com/recall.php, to determine if the refrigerator in your tt is on the recall list.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Tac View Post
Go to this website: http://www2.dometicusa.com/recall.php, to determine if the refrigerator in your tt is on the recall list.
Yes, that is a good Idea. When the recall was first announced my model was not included until the list was revised and that was last year. Momma Tac thanks for posting the web site info that just rattled my brain. After 06 they may have made changes and the repaires made not be needed on the newer models.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #39

Armed with all the info that the forum so kindly provided I went 'armed' to the dealership and checked my RV that I purchased today. I had the salesman open the frig vent and it was immediately apparent that the 'repair' was not made. The dealer is in the process of making the modification to the frig so that me and my spouse don't have an unpleasant awaking in the middle of the night! I don't think that this is really the solution. Ideally if the unit actually fails due to a defective boiler tube then the mfg should make it in legal terms 'whole' again. The fundamental problem reverts back to the boiler tube that has cracked on our RV's as well as high-end units as Airstream. I once had a similar problem on a recall from Ford motor company. They used defective bolts on the timing pulley and they actually fell out of the car. They sent out a recall that if you had 60,000 miles or less they would replace the bolts or if you had to have them replaced yourself they would reimburse you. Mine failed at 62,000 miles. Ford would not do anything for me. I ate a $400.00 bill! I contacted Ford at the highest levels and tried to make the point that the issue was plain and simple, regardless when the bolts failed the problem was the bolts not the miles. Oh well!
n3gag is offline   Reply With Quote