Old 08-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #31

Lots of factors to this dilemma. First off, you don't see many people commenting on how much they like their purchase, thus complaints and problems take the lead. A lot of the discussions were as a result of poor dealer service or instructions. New owners get lousy PDI's and don't know what questions to ask about what they are taking home. Like, "I can't get any hot water, one of my outlets doesn't work, what works on 110v and what uses 12v's, and my furnace fan is always on. How many people read the manuals that come with the RV, I know they are generic for many different models but many times they can answer a problem. Also, as someone mentioned new owners can't relate to a box of sticks on wheels that jumps, bumps and shakes down the road and they expect it to be like their sticks and bricks with limited problems. Probably the biggest issue this year is lack of quality control because the manufacturers want to push as much out the door when fuel prices are low because some time down the road they will be back up. And don't think that Amish can build a better RV, they are there for the dollar and put their pants on the same as everyone else. I have a Palomino TT and am very happy with it, only minor problems that I can fix myself except for the AC not working and that was not a FR problem but Dometic problem (which by the way carries a 2 year warranty on all their products). My dealer said Palomino is one of the best products they sell and seldom see them again one they left the lot. I spent less than 2 hours back at the dealers place while they replaced the AC. Many say well they have more problems that cars do. Have you ever wondered why a car dealer has 16 or 20 service bays?

Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #32

I have read the posts on a few similar threads, interesting! What level of craftsmanship should we as consumers expect in the products we purchase. Knowing that nothing is going to be 100%. But what would be a fair expectation?? What's important? When I go to a restaurant, I expect a good meal and not get salmonella poisoning! When I get on an airplane I expect to get to destination safe and sound now if my seat audio/visual doesn't work, maybe we can change seats maybe not. What about consumer products? If you purchased a solar panel/charge controller for your trailer but the charge controller allows only, say 9 volts thru would that be OK? It's designed to control voltage to the battery at 12-14 volts approx. so it's not working as designed, would that be acceptable, I mean it's still working, right?? Not!!
So why do we accept all the faults in our trailers that don't perform as designed? Why do some of us say that is the nature of assembly line manufacturing? Untrained workers. Not enough staff, etc.. Not enough or any quality control! I think everyone from the CEO down to the production workers need to be held accountable. When I go down to my local timmies and pay for a coffee double double, I expect a coffee not cold tea!! End of rant. Thanks. P.S. Still love our 29re.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #33

Every trailer manufacturer has problems.

I have my 2014 21ds and I've had annoying things go wrong since I bought it (wheel bearing, steps, slide, tank supports) but nearly all of these issues are the fault of the part manufacturers in all trailers I've ever owned. Wheel bearing and tank support-the manufacturer of the trailer, steps-manufacturer, slide-manufacturer, little that FR has built has failed and that is mostly cosmetic. Even air streams use use the same component parts. It really comes down to your dealer and how the manufacturer treats you. So far FR's extended warranty has treated me right! I may buy another FR next time but only if they have the floor plan design I'm looking for at the time. For now, I'm loving my microlite 21ds.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #34

If you buy a house, there is a "punch list." Those are things, which need to be fixed. You spend 100's of thousands of dollars on a house, which isn't always perfect. When you buy a new car, there are often minor issues, which need to be fixed. They aren't always perfect. I bought my last three TTs, knowing they aren't always perfect. So, it comes down to the builder/dealer/manufacturer to make it right, in a reasonable amount of time. As long as they do that, I am happy. With this latest TT, I had an issue with the main circuit breaker. The dealer fixed it as soon as I found the issue. We also have an issue with the toilet (odors coming in, even with the seal working). Thetford and the dealer worked it out and we have a new toilet on the way to the dealer, who will swap it out. They are responsive, so I am happy. I'd rather not have the issues in the first place, but nothing anymore is perfect.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #35

The first camper I had was a Keystone Springdale tt, went back to dealer one time for just minor stuff, next camper was a Sierra tt and no bugs at all. Then Wildcat, I mean Polecat. Then Cedar Creek 30RL, only real problem we had was the bed collapsed, it was in shop about a week for that. Now a Cedar Creek 32RL and a few minor problems, a very pretty camper, DW wants to keep this camper. About the only thing I don't like is the residential refrigerator, I think I would like a RV refrigerator. But it sure is one nice camper and well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
We purchased a 2011 Puma 295kbh this spring and we have ONE BIG PROBLEM........we can't get enough of the dam thing. Over the past 10 years I have pulled thousands of trailers as that's what I do for a living. I pull pretty much all brands and have had very few issues but when I do it is usually poor workmanship by Lippert. And they pretty much make the frames and undercarriages for all brands.
I have a big problem with your statement about the poor workmanship by Lippert not being FR fault. I do agree my major issues have been caused by Lippert also. When I buy a Truck to pull my RV with and it has a Cummins engine and the engine has a problem I expect Dodge to make it right. Same if had a problem with a Navistar engine in Ford. If I have trouble with a DANA axle the dealership takes care of it. Tires are a different deal as they all have outlets where you can take them if issue. Even the Chinese tires have warranty sources. Getting something done is different story. I don't know where to take a Lippert product for warranty. What I am saying is FR is the one to make Lippert improve their Quality. There are other companies that build axles. There are warranty service approved repair shops for Dometic, Coleman and other sub products and if there is a continuous problem they will fix it. I guess I am just being touchy about this but it is not right. I do still like camping, just not the poor quality control and the staples that come out of the joints and push through the tape, the water diverter in bath/shower that doesn't work, the leak behind the sink, The pinched hot water line under slideout support, The five holes in roof of new camper that took 3 months to get FR to fix as dealer was crooked and said I did it when I pulled it home 35 miles down interstate and the wood had already turned black from the leak in 2 days. Took another two months to get it fixed. That one put a bad taste in mouth. Rant done but still don't like it.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #37

Doesn't Forest River own Lippert? If not then Warren Buffet does. Most of the parts that are put in Forest River products is owned by him

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #38

I have to say if I had found this forum before I bought my travel trailer I would have never bought one no matter what brand. I think I would have been too afraid of all the potential problems after reading about everyone's issues. That said I am very glad I purchased mine. Sure I've had a few issues but fixing them has made me stretch my horizons as to what I thought I was capable of. I am also sure dam glad I found this forum because when I have questions I know where to turn. It's all an adventure, enjoy it!
Old 08-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #39

I believe very few people speak up when they have no problems would like to hear from people who didn't have any major issues.there will always be some thing minor same as if you bought a new home or a boat.maybe I'm lucky but except for power tongue jack breaking I've had no issues with my heritage Glenn. And the jack was replaced under warranty by CW even though I didn't buy from them.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #40

Buyer Beware... If you don't have enough skills to DIY, you'll probably be unhappy. just hope you are a lucky one who got a good RV the day of production. If not you better be a MacGyver.
We love our 2860DS, The outside kitchen is a magnet to people looking at our RV. It was a magnet to my wife also and probably what sealed the purchase! That said, QC was sadly lacking and the dealer seems to have many excuses of what can be done. It hasn't all been bad, but the bad leaves a bad taste. I've asked for parts to fix minor warranty items but they refuse to give them to me. they claim they cant do it. So you put up with multiple trips to the dealer to fix a small item. I can't imagine having to return my RV to the factory for months to do work. Those are real horror stories both in wasted time and money.
I don't think there are more complaints in a certain time frame although I do believe QC and warranty work is an industry issue. Parts are one thing, they way they are put together is another. Also, more people complain about bad service and don't mention the good. I guess good service is expected after shelling out Mega $$$. I expect it
As I said if you're not a MacGyver you better learn to be one. You'll be happier!