Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #61

we had a bad experience with a Hotel years ago and decided to get a camper after that so we refer to ours as our portable Hotel suite. Traveling with a house in tow seems a little drastic for this but we know who slept there when we go in and tenting was a young persons thing my wife can't sleep on the ground anymore. I would have to say call it what you will all I can say is that when we go we enjoy ourselves.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt01 View Post
That looks like a lot of camper for a half ton..impressed
Search the forum threads - we have had that discussion

(I visited the weight police in Goshen last year and yeppers I am actually under GVCW & Pin weight
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 01 View Post
I started this blog post yesterday and in less than 24 hours 53 folks have commented. After reading them all, We all have one thing in common. We camp because we love it. It doesn't matter what we call it. Whether camping gives us a chance to spend time as a family (which we don't do at home) or socialize with old and new friends, it is an experience to be cherished, even if for a weekend at a time. I know that my campground opens up on April 15th, and I will be there with a cold beer and a warm fire, awaiting the arrival of my fellow seasonal friends. I once again look forward to smell of bacon cooking. What is it about an early morning walk with a cup of Joe, and the smell of smoke and bacon? It doesn't get any better than this does it? Enjoy the season my friends and be safe!

Dave (Cuyahoga Heights, Ohio)
-I don't often hate, but when I do I prefer to hate the Pittsburgh Steelers!

EXACTLY !!! You nailed it perfectly 😃
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #64

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Search the forum threads - we have had that discussion

(I visited the weight police in Goshen last year and yeppers I am actually under GVCW & Pin weight
I am under GVCW with same setup, 1800 lbs measured. Might over on the pin a bit but the Truck handles it just fine.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I am under GVCW with same setup, 1800 lbs measured. Might over on the pin a bit but the Truck handles it just fine.
Yeah Brian but you installed airbags (smart!) Something I should do (If I can stomp out this HORRIBLE case of upgradeitis to a Cedar Creek )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #66

Like many on the these post, over the past 50 years of camping have run the full bit. Best of memories are from a 9 year old boy sleeping in the back of a ole pu with dad, drinking cold water coffee over the campfire. Did a few years in Boy Scouts and enjoyed every minute of the rainy day campouts. Started my first years of marriage in a Sears tent, then as kids came along moved up to a Colman pop up, which they still have memories of. Served as Boy Scout leader for 8 years or and still see kids, now young men that remember the once a month, year around campouts we had, good times.
As part of the retirement plan moved up to the "Marriott on wheels" and are building new memories, nothing better than having grands kids telling paw paw how good pancakes from the outdoor grill are. And the best one, letting a 10 year old granddaughter telling you she just ate the best grilled chicken ever that she prepared over the outdoor grill. The outdoors is what it is about, sleeping and showering in a Rv does not take away but adds to memories and the experience.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #67

Wikipedia's take on "Camping"

Camping is an elective outdoor recreational activity. Generally held, participants leave developed areas to spend time outdoors in more natural ones in pursuit of activities providing them enjoyment. To be regarded as "camping" a minimum of one night is spent outdoors, distinguishing it from day-tripping, picnicking, and other similarly short-term recreational activities.
Camping may involve sheltering in the open air, a tent, caravan, motorhome, or primitive structure. Luxury may be an element, as in early 20th century African safaris, but including accommodations in fully equipped fixed structures such as high-end sporting camps under the banner of "camping" blurs the line.
Camping as a recreational activity became popular among elites in the early 20th century. With time, it grew more democratic, and varied. Modern participants frequent publicly owned natural resources such as national and state parks, wilderness areas, and commercial campgrounds. Camping is a key part of many youth organizations around the world, such as Scouting, which use it to teach both self-reliance and teamwork.

WE ARE "CAMPING" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #68

I started tent camping as a teen with friends and continued when I met my husband. Had kids and got a bigger tent, small pop up, and we just sold our Coleman pup after 23 years of camping fun with our family. We have upgraded to a HTT...just not ready to be fully enclosed yet. My married, 28 year old daughter is so excited to join us in our new camping adventures. My son's fiance never camped before last year with us, and absolutely loves it! Every time we gather around the campfire, we tell stories and share memories of our lifetime of camping. We stayed in a few hotels over the years, when camping wasn't an option...and ya know what? I've never heard...hey do you remember the Hyatt beds, the fridge in the Marriot, the pool at the Hilton....ummm...nope. Not one hotel story to be found. No matter how you do it, or who you do it with, it's camping and it's great. I am looking forward to a third generation of camping with us soon!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #69

No matter what you call it, it's the greatest life style in the world
chaslorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #70
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Did somebody say Coleman?

Propane lanterns you won't find !
I added this Coleman Lantern to my collection a few years ago. It belonged to my parents and I remember it well from "camping" during my childhood. The lantern dates from the late 50's and that is the original box which still has the label stating it came from The Sperry and Hutchinson Co. in Burlington, IA. (that is S&H Green Stamps for you youngsters!) I had to get a replacement fuel cap as the original one would not hold pressure, but it still works like new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0305151757.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	70769  
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #71

Any fool can be uncomfortable while camping or you can go with luxury. While in your unit do you have a CAMPFIRE in the evening? I have done the tent, pup, slide in truck camper, 5er and now have a 3001 which is our summer home and a second trailer for traveling and will be used as our winter home in a warmer climate. DW and I full time and still consider what we do as camping. We have our nightly fires and enjoy a drink of 2 while entertaining guests around the fire.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #72

Hiked a part of the Appalachian Trail in my youth. Scenic but not comfortable. Those days are long over. My motorhome is my beachfront, mountain, event site vacation home. You may call as you wish but I sure love not digging my own toilet.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #73
Tyler & Connie Foxx

Just the mere fact that we're all communicating via this digital forum about what we do while some of us are doing it is actually ironic and funny, considering what camping once was (and still is for some) compared with what it is today.
FoxxLandArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&K Hoffman View Post
I added this Coleman Lantern to my collection a few years ago. It belonged to my parents and I remember it well from "camping" during my childhood. The lantern dates from the late 50's and that is the original box which still has the label stating it came from The Sperry and Hutchinson Co. in Burlington, IA. (that is S&H Green Stamps for you youngsters!) I had to get a replacement fuel cap as the original one would not hold pressure, but it still works like new.
That...is amazing. I have been searching for a 10-58 Coleman 200A. To have a 200A that was your parents -- well, that's just the best! Enjoy it!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #75

DW and I took a motorcycle trip to Canada with a small tent and things packed on. On the way through Duluth it was in the low 40's, by the time we got into Canada it started to rain lightly, it did not stop for 2 days. It was miserable with no where to get out of rain so our last night we got a hotel room with a hot tub. A couple years later we bought our first PU camper and haven't looked back since. I have no problems towing my "home" around and calling it camping.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #76

I grew up in the wilderness of Virginia. Slept out in the woods many-a-nights under the stars. Sometime took a tent and built a campfire and cooked fish from the river. Later, dug my own catholes while "camping" in the Marines. Many more nights in 1/2 of a "Shelter Half" (occupied by another Marine with the other half). Many months "camping" in Iraq. Now that I am retired and can afford more luxuries, I don't mind a bit that I can tow my camper with toilet, bed, fridge, heat, a/c, tv, etc. and enjoy the outdoors with my wife and two kids. One day, I would like to show the kiddos what camping is like in a tent with a campfire, but for now, they love the 5th wheel and all they fun we have hiking, traveling, Jellystone, etc. Oh, yeah, the DW thinks that anything else, besides the TT/5er, is too uncomfortable to be enjoyable.
TrailAir Rota-Flex Pin Box
Dan'l Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #77

As long as I'm having fun, it just doesn't matter. I'm getting excited for our 2nd year with our camper.
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #78

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Yeah Brian but you installed airbags (smart!) Something I should do (If I can stomp out this HORRIBLE case of upgradeitis to a Cedar Creek )
Stock Suspension on my Ranch. The only extra air is when I tell Tale Tales from Scuttlebutt Lodge..

The Cedar Creek takes a F350 for sure!! Good luck with that upgradeitis disease
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #79
Site Team

Tent , pup or TT its all camping to me

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 PM   #80

is it really camping?